News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Man, you should invest in some fibre :p

when you're disabled, depending on circumstance (not everybody is affected the same), going to the bathroom is more of a medical procedure than anything. it takes me 10 minutes or more in a public setting just to prepare to urinate.

uA8dr.jpg

when you're disabled, depending on circumstance (not everybody is affected the same), going to the bathroom is more of a medical procedure than anything. it takes me 10 minutes or more in a public setting just to prepare to urinate.

Thanks for pointing that out. It didn't occur to me.

That said, I don't believe you can predetermine the time when you enter. I know that you can extend it once inside.

It takes me way more than ten minutes - but it all depends on how fast I drink my beers. ;-)

The city should put pay toilets in the nightclub district and they would be very profitable on weekends.

Opened for business today

Toronto Star article

Video

Pay potty leaves Queens Quay flush with excitement
Despite its cold seat, self-cleaning washroom heralds a new era for Toronto

Patty Winsa Urban Affairs Reporter

The city’s official launch of its newest piece of street furniture Wednesday was clearly a can opener. Well, it was a state-of-the-art freestanding washroom.

The coin-operated facility at the northwest corner of Queens Quay and Rees St. costs a quarter to use, is fully accessible and features an automated cleaning system that is triggered each time a user leaves the washroom.

“It’s got a cold seat,†commented Howard Begley, who lives on Queens Quay and was the first to try it out.

After use, the washroom door automatically slides shut and a two-minute cleaning cycle begins. Motion detectors ensure there is no one left inside before the toilet seat retracts into the wall, where it is cleaned and dried, and jets send out water to power wash the floor.

The washroom is across from HtO, a public park on the waterfront that was determined to be a good location for the first of 20 facilities that will be scattered around the city, in locations determined by a feasibility study in conjunction with local councillors.

The facilities are part of the city’s street furniture program, a joint venture with Astral Media that began in 2007. The company pays for the design, maintenance and installation of the furniture, as well as fees of $428 million over the next 20 years for the right to sell advertising on info kiosks, newspaper boxes and cycle posts — though not on the benches, trash bins or automated washrooms.

Astral developed the $400,000 washroom over a two-year period with the Hering Group, a European company that has similar facilities all over Germany. For Toronto, the company created a new stay-dry floor made of a granite polymer. The floor absorbs water, which drains down to the storm sewer.

The washroom is open from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Tokens that can be used in the washrooms will be distributed to the homeless through Streets to Homes outreach workers

I also read today that the plan is to have 20 of these deployed over the next 20 yrs! Why will this take so long?!

Back