News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Of the new carriers, only WIND seems to be taking prominent retail space in the malls and shopping streets and competing for Bell and Roger's typical customer base. The other carriers I find are opening storefronts in areas that nobody would have considered (i.e. Church & Dundas, etc.) and aren't putting much into them. Very cheap operations and obviously targetting a completely different type of customer.

Moblicity is massively advertising, especially on the TTC. I've seen a couple of their stores in my wandering around downtown. But it's true, it seems like Wind is the biggest right now - but they were the first ones on the scene. Also, Public Mobile and Moblicity both seem to be targetting recent immigrants by locating in lower-class neighbourhoods and having long distance deals with unlimited calling to various countries.

My main reason for not getting a Wind phone is that they still use billing. I am a huge fan of prepaid, I don't want any surprises come the end of the month and would far rather run out of minutes than run up a bill. I like that Public Mobile and Moblicity both use unlimited plans and don't have monthly billing. That's one of the main problems I've had with existing companies - their prepaid plans are often a huge rip-off and filled with sneaky loopholes to discourage people from choosing that option. It makes sense - they want you to run up a huge bill because they make more money when you're not consciously thinking of how much money you have left in your account.

So I take it no one out there is using public or moblicity?

Of the new carriers, only WIND seems to be taking prominent retail space in the malls and shopping streets and competing for Bell and Roger's typical customer base. The other carriers I find are opening storefronts in areas that nobody would have considered (i.e. Church & Dundas, etc.) and aren't putting much into them. Very cheap operations and obviously targetting a completely different type of customer.

Thats because they aren't trying to go after Rogers or Bell. They are placing their stores in areas where people are making less money and likely don't own cell phones yet. They don't want to bring over customers from other carriers, they want the customers which the other carriers leave behind.

I'm gonna go for a smart phone this summer. It's probably between the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S... both at Bell. Any thoughts on these two? Anything better than them out there?

I've got an iPhone 3GS and love it. There's an app. for practically anything you can imagine (most of which are either free or very cheap - average $.99 - 2.99), the new 4.0 firmware is terrific and it's a great reliable phone. If you jailbreak the phone it opens up a whole new world of apps. mostly rejected by Apple through the Cydia store. A 4.0 jailbreak should be out very soon.

I'm gonna go for a smart phone this summer. It's probably between the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S... both at Bell. Any thoughts on these two? Anything better than them out there?

They're both pretty much the same, but the Samsung has the best display technology on the market imo, try them both in person and see which you prefer.

Originally Posted by ganjavih

I'm in love with my Galaxy S. The phone can be a little slow when you launch a memory intensive app but that's been the only drawback and there is a software update coming soon to help that (along with Android 2.2 support!). The display is just beautiful. The Iphone boosts a higher res display, but at 3.5" there's really no benefit to squeezing more pixels onto the screen. Samsung's super amoled 4" screen is hands down the most beautiful screen you'll see on such a device.

I don't know if Bell will do this, but in Korea my Galaxy S came with a second battery and a charger to charge the second battery by itself. If you're going to use your smartphone for wifi, apps, music or video this is huge as the batteries on these things tend to drain quite quickly. The lack of a replaceable battery and expandable memory on the Iphone are deal breakers for me.

Reasons why I went Android over Iphone were:
- expandable memory (huge advantage!)
- functions as USB mass storage device (I can use the app market, samsung software, micro SD card or use it as a USB device to transfer apps/media etc, with Apple if you don't like Itunes or it doesn't work you're SOL unless you jailbreak)
- screen real estate (huge advantage if your'e browsing)
- plays media without converting (just download and transfer)
- replaceable battery (as mentioned)

The Iphone is a sexy device and it does what it's supposed to do pretty well. However, if you were to put Android 2.1+ on it and try to sell it against the latest Samsung, HTC and Motorolla phones someone would have to be crazy to buy it unless it were free or severely discounted. The hardware has too many shortcomings (albeit deliberate ones on Apple's part - slowly these features will be added and touted as Apple innovations such as the front facing camera even though the competition has been doing this for years). The Android app market is exploding as well, Apple's advantage there is almost dead. Interestingly enough, Apple liked Samsung's CPU so much they decided to use it in their phone and bought out the company that Samsung partnered with to make the GPU for the Galaxy S so they could include that into their phone as well. Then they bought the screen technology from Samsung's main rival in Korea LG (rumour has it that Samsung wasn't willing to let Apple use their super amoled tech as their production capacity is low and they wouldn't be able to use it on their own phones, LG is now facing this problem with the retina displays in the Iphone 4 they're supplying). There's very little difference in terms of what's under the hood in an Iphone4 or Galaxy S.

Then again, if you like things to just simply work and aren't the least bit tech savvy, Apple's watered down approach might work best.

Previous smartphones I've owned btw: Iphone (second gen), LG Eve, BB Bold and now Galaxy S (hands down the best of them all).

Another added bonus - although the camera doesn't have a flash, it has an excellent night shot mode that captures low-light pictures brilliantly. The audio and video quality on 720p videos taken with it is damn impressive as well!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the tips. WB, you make a good case for the Galaxy S. I really dislike iTunes and I've avoided iPods as mp3 players like the plague. The memory expandability, larger screen, and file compatability of the Galaxy S are enticing. I would like to be able to store a bunch of textbooks in pdf format on this phone and have them available for easy retrieval and reading. Sounds like the Galaxy S is better for this. I do like the iOS environment though, sleek and refined. I'm worried that Android looks a bit "unfinished" and amateurish in comparison.

Thanks everyone for the tips. WB, you make a good case for the Galaxy S. I really dislike iTunes and I've avoided iPods as mp3 players like the plague.
iTunes is the worst, no doubt. However you'll only ever have to see it when you sync, and I sync my phone once a month if that. There are a bunch of apps if you want to use it as a storage device and avoid syncing all the time.

I would like to be able to store a bunch of textbooks in pdf format on this phone and have them available for easy retrieval and reading.
Not a problem with an iPhone as far as I know.

I'm worried that Android looks a bit "unfinished" and amateurish in comparison.
It absolutely does.

I'm worried that Android looks a bit "unfinished" and amateurish in comparison.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.
The Samsung Touch Wiz UI looks just as pretty and is far more robust than IOS.

To give you an example, it's a pretty blatent rip off of the iphone in terms of icons and appearance, however you can add live widgets to each screen (there are 7 screens you can flick to). On one I have the weather and google live search (with voice search) in addition to my most used icons, on another I have facebook notifications open, another has a stock ticker that's always running etc etc... It actually looks far more "polished" than Iphone which is just a collection of static icons and nothing more. You can really personalize it and make it your own. The animated wallpapers are really neat too (I currently have Mario running through various levels in the background). PDF files are no problem either.

I've owned an Iphone before (although not the 4) and can honestly tell you that Android is a much better experience (if you're the least bit tech savvy, which you seem to be).

They're both winners - but if you're going to be reading PDF's the Galaxy's screen alone should tip you towards it, then you can consider the other bonuses such as the micro SD card slot, replaceable battery, not having to convert your video files etc and it's pretty much a no brainer to me. I didn't enjoy being trapped in Apple world when I had my first Iphone (the main reason I just started using my company Blackberry as my personal phone).

Hmmm, I'm really leaning towards the Galaxy S now. I guess the final test will be to see them in person. anyone know when the Galaxy S is coming to Canada? I read somewhere maybe August 6.

help!

Can anybody help me choose a wireless provider and plan for my son? He currently has a 416 number on a Rogers plan that expires next April. He's moving to Kingston in September to attend university and may or may not be back in Toronto the summer of 2011. We tried getting information from Bell, Rogers and Wind on options that would avoid roaming and long-distance charges for him in 416 and Kingston, but the responses were virtually incomprehensible. Does anyone know of a provider/plan that would accomodate his needs without killing me financially?

ganja, I'd also give a good look at the newest HTC droid phones if you really can't wait. Aside from the screen and slightly less horsepower they're also pretty damn fantastic!

Can anybody help me choose a wireless provider and plan for my son? He currently has a 416 number on a Rogers plan that expires next April. He's moving to Kingston in September to attend university and may or may not be back in Toronto the summer of 2011. We tried getting information from Bell, Rogers and Wind on options that would avoid roaming and long-distance charges for him in 416 and Kingston, but the responses were virtually incomprehensible. Does anyone know of a provider/plan that would accomodate his needs without killing me financially?

let him have a prepaid pay and talk plan the 3 carriers have prepaid plans

Does Wind currently cover Kingston? If not, they're a bad plan.

Back