News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I Understand that you are uncomfortable about this topic. A number of people seem to be, thus the acts of censorship.

There is no censorship.

I am not a moderator here.

Even were I, you are free to espouse your views on any number of fora; this one is not about anime, soap operas, soft drinks, or aircraft. This is Urban Toronto.

However it is one of the most important projects now on offer for the Easter GTA.

It would be; though it isn't yet..............but regardless.......you posted about aircraft, not the airport. You also posted your own article as if that's news; its proselytizing not news.

My post is related To the airport, which is the topic of this forum.

No, this thread is about the airport. This fora is about many other things of which the airport is only a small part.

what is inappropriate is the number of posts on this forum on non airport topics that seem to do no more than obscure the debate on timing, size and role of the airport that should be taking place.

I truly hope you're just lost on terminology, because this fora has very little to do w/the airport, this thread does.

The two terms are different.

I post here because I believe in breaking the political and social bubbles people seem to group themselves into in online media like this forum. In so doing I learn, and hopefully you do too.
The reaction to my attempts in the past has been a mix of Wishful thinking and censorship.
Neither will make the need or the topic disappear.

No, that's not why you come here.

You come here to push your view alone at the expense of all others.

You have changed your mind on nothing while here.

Which is actually fine.

So long as you stop.

You don't return to learn anything; you return to troll others whose views differ from your own.

Last edited:
One thing about the GTA is that it skews to the west of Toronto for the most part, so does it makes sense to build a new airport in the east?

One thing about the GTA is that it skews to the west of Toronto for the most part, so does it makes sense to build a new airport in the east?
Pearson is almost perfectly centered in the GTA. We would be much better off using our existing infrastructure and linking it up to our rail network in one of two ways:

1. Building a rail link or BRT connection from downtown Hamilton to the John C. Munro International.
2. Building Breslau GO, and running a direct connection between there and the Region of Waterloo International.

Either of those would also increase the viability of doing business outside the narrow definition of the GTA.

Pearson is almost perfectly centered in the GTA. We would be much better off using our existing infrastructure and linking it up to our rail network in one of two ways:

1. Building a rail link or BRT connection from downtown Hamilton to the John C. Munro International.
2. Building Breslau GO, and running a direct connection between there and the Region of Waterloo International.

Either of those would also increase the viability of doing business outside the narrow definition of the GTA.

But that doesn't fit the narrative for the Pickering Airport or @MarkBrooks

I would agree to the need if the other airports were built out and Pearson was still too busy and the other once were close behind it.

Pearson undoubtedly contributed to that west-ward skew in development though existing poopulation centres were also skewed that way with other small Ontario cities being more west than east. So a Pickering airport might help to balance it. It's unclear to me that we need the capacity immediately. Hamilton is playing the role of secondary/cargo airport as well.

We've been over this repeatedly. The Pickering boosters refuse to accept the results. They argue catchment by overlapping Pearson's catchment.

Another airport isn't needed. And would be problematic with airspace deconfliction. Hamilton already exists. If another airport is needed, the logical course of action would be spend on Hamilton, bolstering its access infrastructure, terminal, parking and fuel supply (not connected to fuel pipelines). Hamilton is properly positioned to be a Southwestern Ontario reliever for Pearson. Including proximity to London and Niagara Falls and the opportunity to avoid GTA traffic when coming from the West.

Not to mention that spending on intercity rail and proper air-rail integration could reduce should short-haul flying in Southern Ontario. If a Pearson transit hub was built with VIA HFR trains running through to Kitchener and London and trains from Kingston terminating there, feeder flights to Pearson from those cities could be cut.

I thought it was one last elections? Do you mean that it will be a national issue or will ity just still be a small group of MPs in the area that want to push it becuse peoplel think its a good idea?

In the previous elections you did not have a leader of a national party supporting the immediate construction of the airport, now you do. Erin O’Toole . But to be fair the liberals have simply been stalling on the airport. They have not derailed its development, simply pushed it down the road.

In the previous elections you did not have a leader of a national party supporting the immediate construction of the airport, now you do. Erin O’Toole . But to be fair the liberals have simply been stalling on the airport. They have not derailed its development, simply pushed it down the road.

And that's for the best. A Pickering airport will be logical eventually as secondary GTA international airport. Pushing it down the road is a good idea because it's hardly a piece of infrastructure that is actually needed in the foreseeable future; but nonetheless it is good to plan ahead. There's so many other urgent transportation projects that were needed 5 years ago, today and within this decade, and Pickering Airport isn't one of those projects.

And that's for the best. A Pickering airport will be logical eventually as secondary GTA international airport. Pushing it down the road is a good idea because it's hardly a piece of infrastructure that is actually needed in the foreseeable future; but nonetheless it is good to plan ahead. There's so many other urgent transportation projects that were needed 5 years ago, today and within this decade, and Pickering Airport isn't one of those projects.

And how many of those “ more urgent” infrastructure projects are profitable? Can be built with private capital instead of public tax dollars? How many are in line with the future of long distance transportation technology ( today no other existing system beats flying to most destinations in Canada for efficiency, GHG emissions and safety, and the teck that will be here in 10 years will be Even more amazing! )

all the federal government has to do is lead, follow the region, or get out of the way.

Usually, even government infrastructure investments, are evaluated on a benefits:cost basis.

In ten years, the solution for a Pickering airport might be small EV VTOLs to take you to Pearson. See Lilium.

Whether an infra project is profitable or not has little impact given that the government assesses projects based on benefit/cost as aforementioned (and that is literally the point of government, it serves the needs of society that capitalism doesn't provide)

Do you have a link to support that there are private groups committing funds for the airport?

Back