News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Bummer. I only did it once and that was indeed a provincial election.

I as well. It's sad that the electorate is reduced to holding their noses and picked the least undesirable. I suppose there is some cold comfort in the fact that, among western democracies, we don't seem to be alone.

Hey, @PinkLucy when are you getting around to your civic responsibility and running for office? You must be bored of retirement by now? :p

About time we all had someone to vote FOR

Sorry to get off topic, but my dad was retired for four years and is back working full time. Not because he needs the money, but because he got bored of being retired.

I am willing to vote for the CPC or PC's if the situation is right. Until Patrick Brown got turfed, I was planning on voting for him.

I am willing to vote for the CPC or PC's if the situation is right. Until Patrick Brown got turfed, I was planning on voting for him.

I still have no idea why Patrick Brown was turfed beyond some internal power struggle.

Candidate irregularities? Alleged impropriety? Public was 100% willing to overlook that, and those turned out to be nothingburgers in the end.

Now, a Conservative victory was more or less predicted before the election, but a possibly moderate Patrick Brown Conservative majority may have had more staying power than a Doug Ford one- which may very much lose its majority, if not its government in the next election.

The fact Brown took down an incumbent mayor in brampton who really had no scandals or much negatives shows Brown has political skills.

The fact Brown took down an incumbent mayor in brampton who really had no scandals or much negatives shows Brown has political skills.
I wouldn't say Linda Jeffrey's term was without scandals or negatives. There was the whole Brampton Main LRT debacle, the secret payments made to staffers, the Golf Course buyout.

I wouldn't say Linda Jeffrey's term was without scandals or negatives. There was the whole Brampton Main LRT debacle, the secret payments made to staffers, the Golf Course buyout.

Living in Brampton those were not the issues...

Brown more won as he struck a cord about "brampton sucks and is treated as second class city"

I'm not sure if anything could stop people from voting for Trudeau. It's sad.

A Conservative Party that isn't filled with ex-Reformers and their acolytes. This election should have been easy for them. But the CPC has decided to become a regional party, Alberta's version of the Bloc, rather than compete in all of Canada. So where all Canadians care about climate change, the CPC decides that is irrelevant, because it hurts Alberta's interests. Where various provinces consider federal interference offensive, suddenly, it's less so if they have to ram a pipeline through to benefit Alberta. And then Conservatives wonder why they don't do well elsewhere.

We are quickly coming up on a time period where the largest voting cohort age wise will be Millennials. And the Conservative Party seems to entirely ignore so many of their priorities and concerns. Even if they squeak through a minority this election, their long term prospects look worse as the gap between them and the millennial cohort grows.

At a more philosophical level is the general tendency/understated CPC goal to decentralize the Confederation - which is already one of the most decentralized in the world - even more. You do have to wonder just why bother having a national government in that case.

AoD

At a more philosophical level is the general tendency/understated CPC goal to decentralize the Confederation....

Benefits the power base in Alberta. That's why.

They have no issues using the powers of the federal government to ram something through if it serves their interest. Imagine how the CPC would react if say a LPO government decided to pass legislation heavily restricting the use of firearms in Ontario. It's the same Republican nonsense you see in the US. "States rights." Only for issues that Republicans care about and can win at the state level. For some reason, the conservatives don't seem to understand, they can actually win and form government more often if they actually act like a national party instead of Alberta's federal representatives.

Back