News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Ontario economy is pretty hot right now, but it was before Ford was in office.

I'm just generally not a fan of government being labelled with helping/hurting an economy, the two generally move relatively independently and short of some major government changes (hint: Ford hasn't done that), they don't influence each other much.

TBH, I think the Liberal's minority situation will hopefully prevent them from legislatively stonewalling investigations (which was shameful).

I wonder if the opposition will be willing to reopen the SNC issue once Parliament gets back into session.

The NDP member for New Westminster-Burnaby* presented a petition today calling for the government to drop client-solicitor privilege so that Jody Wilson-Raybould could speak openly about the SNC matter.
Just to illustrate the sort of loser I am...I finished work early today and came home to watch parliamentary proceedings, including most of QP. Where I learnt that the Minister of Middle Class Prosperity is also now Associate Minister of Finance because Morneau isn't capable of complicating the tax code on his own.
She's actually completely useless and a waste of extended salary, as I said from the beginning.
Also, the new Environment Minister seems kinda decent, to be fair.
And I love the new BQ House Leader.....damn, what passion!

* massive brain fart....famous dude....been around.....Peter Julian....right?

Unemployment rate among young men in Alberta nears 20%, a level not seen since the early 1980s

After trending downward for 2 years, youth male unemployment has been surging since April

Alberta's unemployment rate among young men has nearly doubled over the past seven months, in an unprecedented spike that has pushed their joblessness rate to a level not since the early 1980s.

In April, roughly one in 10 young men in Alberta was unemployed.

By November, it had surged to one in five.

This is according to Statistics Canada's labour force survey, which can be subject to significant, short-term fluctuations. The federal agency generally cautions against reading too much into month-to-month swings but the trend among young men has continued, unabated, for most of 2019.

Unemployment rate among young men in Alberta nears 20%, a level not seen since the early 1980s

After trending downward for 2 years, youth male unemployment has been surging since April

Alberta's unemployment rate among young men has nearly doubled over the past seven months, in an unprecedented spike that has pushed their joblessness rate to a level not since the early 1980s.

In April, roughly one in 10 young men in Alberta was unemployed.

By November, it had surged to one in five.

This is according to Statistics Canada's labour force survey, which can be subject to significant, short-term fluctuations. The federal agency generally cautions against reading too much into month-to-month swings but the trend among young men has continued, unabated, for most of 2019.

Without commenting on the narrow specifics; I continue to be irritated at how job numbers are calculated.

They essentially do surveys.

To my mind, the way it should work is:

Every employer MUST pay by direct deposit, no cash allowed; every employer must report #of staff, hourly rate/salary, and deduct at source.

There's your info.

The labour force should be a calculation that is the number of people 18-69; who are:

1) Not retired (collecting CPP)
2) Not enrolled full-time in :Uni/College
3) Not on Parental or Disability leave

Everyone else is in the labour force unless they specify otherwise.

Calculate.

I'm being a bit silly with over simplification; but my proposed method is surely more accurate than the 'survey' system.

Last edited:
Some good news:

Canadian legislators on Tuesday delivered Prime Minister Justin Trudeau his first parliamentary defeat since his re-election by approving the creation of a special committee to examine relations with China, which is locked in a dispute with Ottawa.
The Conservatives say Trudeau should scrap a C$250 million ($188 million) investment in the Chinese-owned Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. They also oppose the use of Huawei technology for construction of an ultra-fast 5G wireless network.

Legislators voted by 171 to 148 to create the committee. Trudeau’s office was not immediately available for comment.

But Mr. O’Toole said a special committee gives MPs the opportunity and time to explore complex consular cases, such as the arrests of Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig, as well as efforts by Chinese telecom giant Huawei to sell its next generation 5G mobile technology in Canada.
Since Canada detained senior Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou last December on a U.S. extradition warrant, Beijing has responded with the arbitrary arrest of the two Canadians and blocked imports of Canadian canola and soy beans.

“We have a very aggressive Chinese policy in many parts of the world and we have not taken this issue seriously. We have Canadians on trial. We have affected canola,” NDP MP Charlie Angus told the House. “We can come together and establish a special committee … so that we can apprise and look at this issue and find solutions and look at the threats that are being posed.”
Veteran Liberal MP John McKay offered support for greater scrutiny of China, including the cybersecurity risk from Huawei’s 5G technology and the country’s human-rights abuses.

He said that China is acting like a 21st-century colonial power by affirming that the Uyghur, Tibetan and Hong Kong situations are all internal matters and that it is “saying to the world, and particularly to Canadians, not to involve themselves” in these affairs.

Some good news:

*impressed face*

Ok....we might be getting somewhere.

Ah, the beauty of a minority Parliament in our dysfunctional electoral system shows its pretty little face five days in. ?

One that's sorely needed to keep in check the PMO's quisling demenour in regards to China, yeah.

+10 to Sunrise, for using Quisling correctly in a sentence. LOL No it shouldn't be an accomplishment, but I see it done correctly so rarely, it just makes me happy!

So the Cons and NDP created a committee to use to attack Liberal foreign policy.

While I do understand that there is political motive at play; and equally understand that one ought not to oversimplify diplomatic relations...........

We (Canada) do appear to be taking it on the chin recently; and for no particularly valid reason every which way.

Which is to say, I don't believe the arrest of the Huawei heiress was legally justfiable (the standard is supposed to include that her actions would have been an offense under Canadian law, which I don't believe is the case)............

At the same time, the woman has been treated as kindly as any arrestee in her circumstances ever has; while the same cannot apparently be said of the Canadians in Chinese custody.

Meanwhile the Chinese ambassador has been condescending and undiplomatic in ways that are genuinely surprising, without consequence.

There is reason to consider that our strategy on China is suspect no matter one's position on any of the underlying issues.

Simply put, its not working.

That would seem to merit investigation and perhaps chastisement.

While I do understand that there is political motive at play; and equally understand that one ought not to oversimplify diplomatic relations...........

We (Canada) do appear to be taking it on the chin recently; and for no particularly valid reason every which way.
The issue is that China typically isolates and chooses the nicest member of an opposing group to bully into submission as a sign of force against a larger group. They count on the victim/tributary not fighting back, or even standing their ground and showing some degree of self-respect.

They wouldn't be able to get away with something like this with America (which is why they essentially can not fight back against Trump's ""trade war"" (part of a larger systematic conflict, but that's another story)).

Trudeau's passive acquiescence on this issue signals to China that their tactics work here- and that possibly worse- that the Liberals have been compromised to a degree. Remember John McCallum and his not-so-subtle throwing-of-the-wrench into the Huawei issue?

Last edited:
+10 to Sunrise, for using Quisling correctly in a sentence. LOL No it shouldn't be an accomplishment, but I see it done correctly so rarely, it just makes me happy!

Don't get too excited....I misspelt 'demeanour', which was the word following 'quisling' in that sentence. ?

Anyway, as a central European, I know a thing or two about quisling rats.

Every employer MUST pay by direct deposit, no cash allowed;
No thanks, the government doesn’t need to always be in our business. When I have work done on my car or house I always pay cash. If the provider doesn’t pay his taxes, no my problem.

I imagine in my lifetime Canada will push for the abolition of cash so that they can track everything Canadians do.

Back