News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Scheer quit as CPC leader, so why is he still using social media as if he still holds the position on a permanent basis?

Iran’s policy toward dual nationals means Canadians must negotiate over burials

See link.

Iran’s policy of not recognizing the second passports of dual nationals has led to intricate negotiations over how the remains of dozens of Iranian-Canadians who died aboard Flight 752 will be treated, The Globe and Mail has learned.

Tehran’s position could affect the consular services that Canada and the other countries that have dispatched teams to Tehran can provide to families of the victims of the disaster – and where their remains are buried.

There were 57 Canadian citizens on board the plane when it was shot out of the sky on Jan. 8.

Oleksii Danilov, the head of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council, said his country’s intelligence services were aware of 17 cases where Canadian families were negotiating with the Iranian government over “how and where they will bury the bodies” of their relatives. Ukraine has had a team on the ground in Tehran since Jan. 9, one day after the Ukrainian International Airlines plane was downed by a missile attack that Iran says was a “disastrous mistake.”

Two other sources in Ukraine – whom The Globe is not identifying because they were not authorized to speak on the record – said the issue of dual nationals was one of the thorniest in negotiations between Iran and the six other countries that lost citizens on Flight 752, a list that besides Canada and Ukraine includes Sweden, Afghanistan, Germany and the United Kingdom.

State-controlled Iranian media have reported that more than 140 of the 176 people killed were Iranian passport holders, and that there were just three Canadian citizens – rather than 57 – on board.

The first three members of a Canadian team that will handle consular issues arrived in Tehran on Saturday. Eight other officials received their visas over the weekend and are expected to arrive today.

The London-based Persian-language TV channel Iran International reported over the weekend that some families of victims have been warned by authorities not to speak to foreign media, or they will not receive their relatives’ bodies.

Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne has convened a meeting of the international task force of countries who lost citizens in Flight 752 for Thursday in London. The meeting will be hosted by Canada at Canada House which is the Canadian High Commission there.

Canada, Britain, Sweden and Afghanistan joined forces to create the International Coordination and Response Group for families of victims of Flight 752.

Yeah, that's super fun for those families. :rolleyes:

I do wonder though, how many have most of their families in Iran?

My entire extended family is in central Europe. I'm pretty sure if my parents died in an air accident there we'd all just have the funeral there anyway.

It would simplify things if no country allowed dual citizenship.
Pick a country and be loyal to it.

As usual, you're obsessed with simplicity over sensibility.

If you assume citizenship is and must be driven by an undying loyalty to one state at the expense of all the others similar to religion, then your point-of-view holds water.

If, however, you believe that human beings are individual persons, and that citizenship better describes countries with which said person has a working relationship, by birth, by family, by employment, study or residence, there is no real need
to cap the number one can hold.

The world should be more global, not less.

To be sure, holding dual (or triple etc.) citizenship where some of those are with backwards states which have an insular rather than global world view has its drawbacks. But that is about those states needing to arrive in the 21st century, not the need
of Canadians to be dragged back to the 19th century.

To be fair, there are complexities in holding more than one citizenship that are often, but not always addressed by treaties, but which need to be.

Key among these would be child custody; divorce, whose laws apply to estates etc.

But again, the solution is in addressing these, not in promoting an insular world view.

It would simplify things if no country allowed dual citizenship.
Pick a country and be loyal to it.
You'd have to pry either of my two citizenships from my cold, dead hands.

How's that for loyalty?

----
This Iran situation is really sad. First the government kills your family members and then holds their bodies hostage? Sickening.

Maintaining a single citizenship isn't insular, nor does it make you less of a person.

I didn't suggest that.

I suggesting that forcing someone to maintain only 1 citizenship was promoted an idea of insularity.

That's a distinct difference!

I only have one citizenship, Canada's.

That said, I consider myself a citizen of the world and value freedom and quality of life for all, not merely those under my flag.

I don't see it dual citizenship as a conflict of interest.

We're I to reside 1/2 the year in France and chose to obtain citizenship there while retaining my Canadian citizenship, I would see no harm in that, and indeed a benefit, to myself and both respective countries.

Back