News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In unrelated news: Wilson-Raybould refuses to give up a part of the office suite she was assigned when she was a minister. Ha! Good on her. She deserves the best office on The Hill. Trudeau should be fetching her firewood for that fireplace I wish she had in her office.

This actually sticks with me a bit. While I admire her for the way she stood up to the party and bureaucratic minions, both in the fact that she did it and how she did it by essentially prosecuting her case in the committee hearings, she founded her argument on being a follower of rules, and here she wants to ignore one. Clearly, not a rule of the same magnitude or consequence, but House rules say an MP doesn't qualify for a six-office suite. Apparently it was blessed by an elder. So, have your new one blessed.
I admire her for her principles, particularly her belief in the rule of law, but there has always been a nagging feeling in the back of my head that she feels her cultural background, and her position in it (being descended for chiefs and elders) trumps all.

This actually sticks with me a bit. While I admire her for the way she stood up to the party and bureaucratic minions, both in the fact that she did it and how she did it by essentially prosecuting her case in the committee hearings, she founded her argument on being a follower of rules, and here she wants to ignore one. Clearly, not a rule of the same magnitude or consequence, but House rules say an MP doesn't qualify for a six-office suite. Apparently it was blessed by an elder. So, have your new one blessed.
I admire her for her principles, particularly her belief in the rule of law, but there has always been a nagging feeling in the back of my head that she feels her cultural background, and her position in it (being descended for chiefs and elders) trumps all.
Remember when JWR weighed in on a jury verdict in the Prairies. That was the same story - her culture was more popular than Canadian law an customs. Sure she had more ethics than Trudeau or anyone in his government - but that's still not saying much.

She deserves a ten room suite as far I'm concerned but that's neither here nor there....apparently she's only in two adjacent rooms and is giving one up.

I agree that it's a bit off for her to be so stubborn about this.

Yeah be honest Trudeau was the reason why they did not get a majority and facing off against a new somewhat likeable Conservative he will likely lose in the future.

There is nothing to be honest about, politics changes from day to day - it isn't just about the leader or the policies. In this case, Freeland just appears to be better at the role and a "doer", which is what the times seem to call for.

AoD

Last edited:
Last edited:
China lays out the terms to Germany - accept Huawei or else. When is Trudeau gonna come to the realization that any deal with China ends up a zero-sum-game? The CPC will never hold up their end of the deal.

And to the Faroe Islands of all places:

China lays out the terms to Germany - accept Huawei or else. When is Trudeau gonna come to the realization that any deal with China ends up a zero-sum-game? The CPC will never hold up their end of the deal.

And to the Faroe Islands of all places:

I feel bad for the Faroes but I hope Deuthschland tell that moppet Wu where to stick his Huawei. German cars are in large part the pinnacle of automotive engineering....declaring them unsafe would be so transparently ridiculous that I would hope the CPC goons would be laughed out of any diplomatic meeting thereafter.

CPC clowns. How are those concentration camps doing anyway?

More deficit spending:

The federal deficit under Finance Minister Bill Morneau will balloon over the next fiscal year, leaving the minority Liberal government in a worse fiscal position than expected early in its second mandate.

In its fall economic update on Monday, Finance Canada said the deficit would rise to $26.6 billion in 2019-20, up from an earlier projection of $19.8 billion. Between 2019 and 2024, deficits are expected to outpace projections by roughly $35 billion.

Ottawa also saw a slight rise in its federal debt-to-GDP ratio, often cited as a crucial fiscal anchor by Morneau, from 30.8 per cent in 2018 up to 31 per cent.

The widening deficit is partly the result of an accounting practice that links the perceived future value of public pensions to interest rates. When interest rates decline, the amount owing on pensions and disability liabilities effectively rises, in turn increasing the amount of money Ottawa needs to set aside every year to cover personnel expenses.

The cost against Ottawa will total $4.9 billion in its next budget, and could peak at $7.6 billion in 2021, according to Finance Canada projections.

“You’re seeing that changes in interest rates are driving our liability numbers,” Morneau told reporters on Monday.

A promised tax cut for middle-income earners will also cost the government $700 million in foregone revenues in 2020, the fiscal update said. Separate election promises made by Trudeau amounted to another $1.5 billion in unplanned expenses.
Canada’s federal debt-to-GDP ratio, despite an expected rise this year, remains among the lowest in developed countries. Many economists have argued that Canada’s larger problem is actually its high levels of household debts, which are among the highest in developed nations after 10 years of very low interest rates.

Even so, critics point out that Morneau has regularly missed deficit targets after promising in 2015 to run a $10-billion deficit that would be reduced to a surplus in 2019. The Liberals later abandoned any plans to return to balance.

Back