News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Considering that it was under his dad's (and Pearson's) Liberal governments that much of the non-indigenous people of colour came to Canada, I sometimes wonder what bill of goods or picture of Canada these immigrants were given. We didn't have slavery, no one was forced to come to this chilly land mostly (but not entirely) populated by the descendants of Europeans and indigenous peoples. Were these 1960s-70s non-white immigrants from the Caribbean, Asia and Africa somehow convinced that Canada was free of racism and discrimination? It reminds me of my time living in Atlantic Canada, where the provincial governments were welcoming new non-white immigration, but no one felt the need to check with or persuade the locals that this was a good idea, with hate crimes, discrimination and racism resulting. Had Canada done a better job preparing the country and its people to welcome and value POC we might have been further ahead than we are now. As it was, we didn't get moving until the 1982 Charter and its guarantees against discrimination, a full two decades after Canada began inviting families from the Caribbean to fill our nursing and other roles.

Trudeau loses un security council seat

A lot of effort wasted for a rather increasingly irrelevant institution.

Hope Trudeau can look more inward on Canada instead of trying to give away 100s of millions we can no longer afford..

Last edited:
The Security Council's usefulness in the present age is debateable, especially when the 5 veto powers are the countries the council is often trying to sanction. Great concept I guess.

It's like having the mafia be the police, of course they won't let themselves get in trouble but will enforce the rules on people.

Relevance aside (I actually think the UN has done a lot of good since its inception, with the notable exception of the Security Council), it always looked like the government was applying for the wrong thing. From their website:

"The Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. It has 15 Members, and each Member has one vote. Under the Charter of the United Nations, all Member States are obligated to comply with Council decisions.
The Security Council takes the lead in determining the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression. It calls upon the parties to a dispute to settle it by peaceful means and recommends methods of adjustment or terms of settlement. In some cases, the Security Council can resort to imposing sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security."

A less than enthusiastic contribution to UN missions over the past number of years, focuusing on issues that are at best peripheral to the Council's mandate probably didn't get a lot of mileage. I think that's 0 for 2.

So this is blowing up: Macleans is reporting from sources that Nova Scotia shooter Gabriel Wortman withdrew almost $500,000 in straight up cash from an office of Brink's security days before the rampage. The cash was sent to him via a process the source says matches exactly that used by the RCMP to pay their confidential informants.

A Mountie familiar with the techniques used by the force in undercover operations, but not with the details of the investigation into the shooting, says Wortman could not have collected his own money from Brink’s as a private citizen.
“There’s no way a civilian can just make an arrangement like that,” he said in an interview.
He added that Wortman’s transaction is consistent with the Mountie’s experience in how the RCMP pays its assets. “I’ve worked a number of CI cases over the years and that’s how things go. All the payments are made in cash. To me that transaction alone proves he has a secret relationship with the force.”

Last edited:
Well now, that makes things more interesting.

Also, Trudeau's UN stuff has been overshadowed by more CPC antics, as everyone expected.

Well now, that makes things more interesting.

Also, Trudeau's UN stuff has been overshadowed by more CPC antics, as everyone expected.
Trudeau's UN Stuff has long term consequences as I expected it will move the country as a whole away from the United Nations.

Important decision out this week from the Supreme Court of Canada.

It addresses 2 key issues around over criminalization and over incarceration.

Specifically, it addresses what the legal standard ought to be for criminally charging someone for breaching a bail condition.

In that matter, it raises the bar from the typical 'what would a reasonable person do' standard to establishing what the person out on bail intentionally did.

It also looks at what bail conditions are reasonable in the first place. Noting some conditions are likely to breach or hard not to; and sometimes people who end up aquitted on the charge they were facing still risk sentences of up to 2 years for having violated their bail conditions.

Now to get government to reform bail itself so that restricting someone's freedom (pre-conviction) is based on risk to the community, rather than their income or wealth.

Last edited:
'Hero' grocery store workers should get 'properly' paid, PM says

Friday, June 19, 2020

OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says those front-line workers who have stepped up to help put food on Canadians’ tables deserve to be fairly compensated for their work, even as the economy reopens and public health restrictions are lifted.

Trudeau was responding to news that major grocery chain executives will be called to a House committee to testify about removing a modest pay increase to employees on the COVID-19 frontlines.

---------
When the motion was brought forward by Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith in a Thursday afternoon committee meeting, it passed unanimously 11-0, with support from Conservative and NDP MPs.

The motion asks that the committee invite "representatives from Loblaw Companies Ltd., Metro Inc. and Empire Company Ltd. to explain their decision to cancel, on the same day, the modest increase in wages for front-line grocery store workers during the pandemic, including how those decisions are consistent with competition laws."

During an interview on CTV’s Power Play this week, Erskine-Smith noted that grocery stores are among the few businesses that have seen profits increase during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We’ve seen record profits from all three of these chains, double-digit percentages over 20, over 20 per cent increases in profits for these companies over the course of the pandemic," he said.

"So the idea they’d say ‘here’s your two dollar wage increase essential workers and oh, by the way, it’s going to last for a short period of time, we as executives are going to enjoy our profits’ is really frustrating to see."

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland echoed Trudeau’s remarks, saying she hopes the pandemic has enhanced awareness that, often, the most relied-upon workers are also the most underpaid.

"I think the coronavirus has taught us how much we depend on them," she said on Friday. "I do think that it behooves us all, including employers, not to forget that lesson."

I honestly can not wait till I can go back to the office.
Working from home would be nice as an occasional thing, but I really discovered I prefer having a seperate space to work from outside of my one bedroom apartment.

Yes. In addition to the type of work on does, how well it works depends on individual things like personality, residence layout, distractions, and on and on.

Back