News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I definitely miss being at the office, but will wait it out a bit longer. I work right above St. Patrick station, and always take transit. Gotta say I've grown to enjoy the perks of WFH such as extra sleep, getting groceries/errands done before starting my workday, and saving on a monthly metropass. I'll see how the autumn goes. My company is pretty flexible on extending the WFH policy.

Last edited:
I definitely miss being at the office, but will wait it out a bit longer. I work right above St. Patrick station, and always take transit. Gotta say I've grown to enjoy the perks of WFH such as extra sleep, getting groceries/errands done before starting my workday, and saving on a monthly metropass. I'll see how the autumn goes. My company is pretty flexible on extending the WFH policy.

Extra sleep is definitely helpful, though personally I find it much more difficult to fall in the "zone" for work at home.

AoD

Extra sleep is definitely helpful, though personally I find it much more difficult to fall in the "zone" for work at home.

AoD

That's true. Certain elements like the commute and office environment definitely contribute to the mindset for work mode effectiveness. There's also more distractions at home. Too much repetitiveness at home can stifle creativity.

I honestly can not wait till I can go back to the office.
Working from home would be nice as an occasional thing, but I really discovered I prefer having a seperate space to work from outside of my one bedroom apartment.

Especially with a newborn and a wife on mat leave...Rocking my kid to sleep while working on critical issues sure is interesting. Not to mention the lack of separation between work life and home life. I could not work home fulltime.

I typically worked from home pre-Covid.

That hasn't changed.

There are upsides and downsides.

Upsides include increased flexibility. If I don't have phone calls I'm expecting or client/site visits I have to do, I have a lot of room to start my day at 6am if I'm up and bored or 10am if I need the extra sleep. I can mostly blow off a gorgeous weekday and go hiking; but then I'll need to give up my Saturday to get stuff done.

The biggest negative for me is lack of exercise. I have to force myself to either go out for lunch or take a break to go for a 3km walk, as my commute is from my kitchen to my home office.

So I don't even have the walk to/from a bus stop in the routine.

Some weeks social interaction is high as part of my job............other times can be quite low and that can be an issue after a few days.

I don't have kids, so that doesn't factor into my experience.

I was back in the office last week. My employer isn't making anyone come back in that doesn't want to. I walk to work and have a huge cubicle separate from most of the office, so I was happy to go back in. However, this week I am home again. Anyone that wants to go back in has been divided into 2 groups and we alternate weeks. So if someone gets sick, they are only exposed to a smaller group.

I don't like working from home too much. One bedroom apt, so I'm working at a desk in the living room. Too many distractions, my home computer is crap (we were planning to replace it, but can't now with Mr. S on the CEWS), my chair is not comfortable and they have been doing roadwork in the neighbourhood for weeks and weeks.

Some places are rotating on 2-week cycles, which mirrors the accepted incubation/isolation period.

The plan for the building I work in is to get people back in the office by September, Our department in particular would only allow 25-33% capacity to start, so some people would remain home. In terms of elevators, there would four people max IF they wore masks.

Interesting:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government’s decision to contract out the administration of its new Canada Student Service Grant (CSSG) program to a charity with close personal ties to his family.

Trudeau said the public service deemed that the WE Charity – founded by Craig and Mark Kielburger in 1995 – is the "best and only" organization to administer the $912 million program that he says has already received 25,000 applications since it formally launched last Thursday.

The prime minister’s wife, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, is an ambassador with the organization and hosts a mental health podcast under its name. Trudeau has also spoken at a number of WE events globally.
A key piece of a much-scrutinized $900-million program to get youth working in the community will also pay teachers $12,000 each to recruit and mentor students over the summer.

The Canada Student Service Grant program, which pays students and recent graduates to work with community organizations across the country, has come under new scrutiny after it was revealed the WE Charity was selected by the federal government as the only group able to administer the program. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his family have appeared multiple times at WE events.

The decision to pay teachers to recruit and manage their own students — even for an opportunity that would financially benefit the students — has surprised some.

"We don't have all of the details, but certainly this is not common practice," said Ilona Dougherty, managing director of the Youth & Innovation Project at the University of Waterloo, who has co-founded several public service organizations.

Last edited:
Meg Wanzhou is staying in Canada. The court found reason to let her extradition hearing continue as it passed the "double criminality" test.
I expect some petty tit-for-tat act from China in response.
I think we're reaching the threshold where Trudeau's government must tell every Canadian citizen to stay out of China and for all Canadian citizens living in China evacuate asap. China's royally pissed at the west's accusations about Covid19 and now Hong Kong. In the coming weeks the UK and the EU will likely announce that Huawei has been banned from all 5G infrastructure and software projects, followed by Canada, Australia, etc.

China feels it's being pushed around and will lash out, and Canadians are an easy grab for leverage.

I think we're reaching the threshold where Trudeau's government must tell every Canadian citizen to stay out of China and for all Canadian citizens living in China evacuate asap. China's royally pissed at the west's accusations about Covid19 and now Hong Kong. In the coming weeks the UK and the EU will likely announce that Huawei has been banned from all 5G infrastructure and software projects, followed by Canada, Australia, etc.

China feels it's being pushed around and will lash out, and Canadians are an easy grab for leverage.

I love how China's stock response whenever they're pressed is to utter threats and be even more aggressive than usual despite deserving every bit of the criticism lobbed their way (5G, Hong Kong, Covid-19).

Huawei should be banned.

I love how China's stock response whenever they're pressed is to utter threats and be even more aggressive than usual despite deserving every bit of the criticism lobbed their way (5G, Hong Kong, Covid-19).

Huawei should be banned.
We need China for cheap textiles and electronics in exchange for Canada's agricultural and resource products. Anything that's strategic (or edible) should be sourced elsewhere. Right now at work we're moving sourcing from China to Taiwan and South Korea due in part to fears of upcoming sanctions against Chinese goods, and in part a crisis of conscience. And all employees are under strict no travel to China or transiting through Hong Kong. I had a trip to Singapore planned in 2019 that was canceled when the two Michaels were kidnapped, as the first flight included transit via Hong Kong.

Last edited:

Back