News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How about use US military capabilities as a reference point stretch goal? Canada should aim to be able to respond to threats physical and digital in Canada just as fast as the US military could the same threat in Canada if they were given the jurisdictional permission. Can we already do that? What I mean is that for instance can Canada scramble air defense, naval assets, or detect incursions domestically and to all three coasts faster than the US could to the same point in Canada from their US bases of operation?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Canadian air intercept assets are in Cold Lake AB and Bagotville QC with a few 'staging' locations in the Arctic and other bases. I don't know where similar US assets are deployed in their country except Alaska. You don't 'scramble' naval assets - they take time to put to sea. Since we are partners with the US in NORAD, what is detected on their screens is the same as ours (region specific).
We don't spend anywhere near what the US does on its military - we couldn't hope to afford that. Nor should we; we don't project power worldwide.

We don't have enough jets or permanent bases to cover all of Canada. This is reality. And as part of NORAD, American forces can enter and operate in Canada under Canadian control. An Air National Guard F-16 from upstate New York can be over Toronto much faster than a CF18 from. Bagotville. There's more parity in coverage on domains like cyber.

It's very unfortunate though that we see all our defence issues through the lens of our perpetual inferiority complex vis-a-vis the US. They spend on the military? We shouldn't. Compare this to how countries in Europe have to think about defence where the threat is more real.

We're in an age where the Americans are suggesting out loud that the defence of Canada in certain domains (like missile defence) is not automatic. Our Arctic is literally a playground for every nuclear submarine power (except India) in the world. We have limited ability to project power across the whole breadth of our country let alone globally. We're one of only two G7 countries that doesn't field aircraft carriers. The other country is Germany. And they have a 1% of our coastline and a larger navy.

Honestly, I always wonder at what point the Americans just start officially ignoring us and simply start planning to operate in Canada openly. While on exchange in the US, I heard talk of American carrier groups studying how to operate in the Arctic if the sea ice opens up. Their argument was simple. If Canada doesn't secure the continental approaches, they will. They aren't going to leave the backdoor unguarded just because we're naive freeloaders.

Honestly, I always wonder at what point the Americans just start officially ignoring us and simply start planning to operate in Canada openly. While on exchange in the US, I heard talk of American carrier groups studying how to operate in the Arctic if the sea ice opens up. Their argument was simple. If Canada doesn't secure the continental approaches, they will. They aren't going to leave the backdoor unguarded just because we're naive freeloaders

I hate to say it but defense spending in Canada needs to be boosted.

We are an embarrassment on the global stage when participation is required for various missions.

Of course you'd say that.

Because we all know that the Liberals are above the law and have their own code of ethics which is impeachable. They are unassailable as the gurantors of our nation's freedoms and all that. Or whatever.

The fact that you can't see the conflict of interest or don't care about it because it lies with your partisan leanings says more about you than about anyone doing any "manufacturing".

It's the same old Liberal self-entitlement. They can't help themselves. Nothing new, sure....if that's what you meant.

Pot, meet kettle.

Guess for the Conservatives, if Trudeau himself and not his relatives were pitching beans, it would be fine.

trump-goya-ht-er-200715_1594840817766_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

From link.

Honestly, I always wonder at what point the Americans just start officially ignoring us and simply start planning to operate in Canada openly. While on exchange in the US, I heard talk of American carrier groups studying how to operate in the Arctic if the sea ice opens up. Their argument was simple. If Canada doesn't secure the continental approaches, they will. They aren't going to leave the backdoor unguarded just because we're naive freeloaders.
Parallel that comes to mind as to why American's won't ignore their Canadian backdoor are the French defenses along the Belgium front in WW2.

Feds are announcing 19B transfer to the provinces for a variety of purposes.

PPE/Healthcare/Testing, bailouts of Municipalities and Transit.

Apparently also tied, somehow, to paid sick days and childcare.

Not clear if we will get more details today or not.

Lenaitch,

What I meant was addressed maybe by Keithz. Basically, what is our ability to project military power and assets in Canada? I’m not talking about matching US military spending but taking some responsibility for our own domestic military security. I personally would much rather Canada not be capable of deploying military assets internationally if money was instead focused on domestic military projection. I think that would also in some way give some greater certainty to US military planners that would be quietly appreciated.

19 billion seems low spread across the whole country. Toronto alone is asking for a 1.5 billion bailout.

19 billion seems low spread across the whole country. Toronto alone is asking for a 1.5 billion bailout.

I get the sense it will go proportionally. Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal may get a sizable chunk.while cities like Edmonton, Regina, Calgary and Halifax get less.

I can also see it going regionally in some cases like Peel Region, York Region and Durham Region all getting a lump sum

Pot, meet kettle.

...and then?

Not quite sure what this refers to, to be honest. But then again, I didn't really know what the hell you were on about when you called me an asshole for daring to apply for EI after being laid off from work so, we'll just have to chalk it up to a misunderstanding as I don't speak your particular code of moral certitude.

Carry on.

I'm getting sick of this bullshit where every political discussion takes cues from the US. Canadians who ignored Idle No More bandwagoned on to BLM protests. And not we have to follow US policies for recovery? Why? We already have a substantial better social safety net than them. Do these morons not have any political identity beyond Democratic politics in the US?

Back