News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

A) What is the real, lasting impact on China?
I would do it just to stop taking their money. That regime is so psychopathic that they're like people who think you owe them somthing for them giving you the time of day, even though it's a mutually beneficial business transaction.

B) What's the impact on us?

That latter matter also involves the effect such a move would have on our other trading partners.

How would they feel knowing that if they rely on us for food or energy, we might cut them off over a dispute?
If they're running concentration camps, then yeah......worry they should.

I'm just tossing about ideas because something has to be done and our federal government is absolutely pathetic in how they've handled it all. Beyond pathetic. Like disgustingly pathetic.
Of course, the deep economic interests of many Liberal benefactors is probably the main reason why they're so averse to properly standing up to those psychopathic swine.

Kill two birds with one stone, I reckon. Get the Chinese money out of here AND directly infringe on the economic interests of the Liberal Party. Win-win-win.

If I were a First Nations or Inuit person, I'd be very wary of a government that professes this and that about reconciliation in regards to our own genocidal past whilst appeasing a regime that is running concentration camps on an industrial scale like the Nazis did last century....and worse actually, considering how all of East Turkestan is basically a giant surveillance prison camp now.

I'm going to be honest, I was a bit heartened when this government came to power because they seemed to jive with my own internationalist liberal leanings after the decidedly anti-internationalist Conservative government, but they've proven to be nothing more than what the sleazy corrupt Liberals of the 90s were: beholden to morally bankrupt economic interests and willing to sell our souls to keep the money flowing.

Pigs, the lot. *spits*

Ya, as a nation whose economy is largely based on exports, it becomes tricky, even trickier - politically - when the sector that would be impacted is in the west.

I'm not convinced one party or the other is any better or worse at managing our place in the world. International relations is rarely even a lukewarm button election issue. Trudeau likes to think of himself - and us by extension - as a post nationalist, ready to rise above such petty things, but the rest of the world begs to differ. He may want to be singing kumbaya around the post-national campfire but I'm not sure there is anyone he can hold hands with.

Interesting.

Interesting.
I didn't follow the issue closely but it appears to give them an out on some initial poorly constructed guidelines (by, you know, the professionals). It doesn't forgive, just defers, and puts another thorn in the 'solved' column.

Ya, as a nation whose economy is largely based on exports, it becomes tricky, even trickier - politically - when the sector that would be impacted is in the west.
That's the problem right here. We're making decisions based on politically expediency and money.

I'm no expert on human history, but even I know that when civilisations/societies get hung up on political and economic considerations to the full exclusion of their supposed ethical and moral standards, it never ends well.

Interesting.

Meanwhile, last spring at the outset of the pandemic here, the initial week of the unemployment period for EI applications where the applicant isn't paid was waived. Then it was reinstated upon the termination of the CERB benefit.
Now it's being waived again....as of the 31st of January "because of the second wave of the pandemic". 31st of January.....a good month after said second wave was at its peak.

I may or may not have been laid off a week before this date. fml hahahaaa

Why did they discontinue the waiver at all?

I hate EI....it disincentivises people from working even partially and it's underfunded. It must be one of the biggest insurance fails of all time.

Luckily I have savings or I'd be homeless within two months.

Can't wait to retire.

Meanwhile, last spring at the outset of the pandemic here, the initial week of the unemployment period for EI applications where the applicant isn't paid was waived. Then it was reinstated upon the termination of the CERB benefit.
Now it's being waived again....as of the 31st of January "because of the second wave of the pandemic". 31st of January.....a good month after said second wave was at its peak.

I may or may not have been laid off a week before this date. fml hahahaaa

Why did they discontinue the waiver at all?

I hate EI....it disincentivises people from working even partially and it's underfunded. It must be one of the biggest insurance fails of all time.

Luckily I have savings or I'd be homeless within two months.

Can't wait to retire.

There's a good policy paper here on the history/future of EI.

Of note, at one point in the program: Benefits were set at 75 percent of insured earnings for claimants with dependents and 66 percent for those without.

Today, the program offers 55% income replacement.

Of note, at one point in the program: Benefits were set at 75 percent of insured earnings for claimants with dependents and 66 percent for those without.

55% is not much. I made 1000-ish dollars every 2 weeks after taxes prior to going on EI earlier this year. If not for the $500 minimum weekly payment during covid I'd not have survived.

550 dollars before tax every 2 weeks is not enough to survive.

55% is not much. I made 1000-ish dollars every 2 weeks after taxes prior to going on EI earlier this year. If not for the $500 minimum weekly payment during covid I'd not have survived.

550 dollars before tax every 2 weeks is not enough to survive.

I'm glad you did ok.

I also agree the income replacement rate is too low.

I'm glad you did ok.

I also agree the income replacement rate is too low.

It was a close one NL. I ended up taking a job I hate rather than stay on EI.

That said we really need a basic income in this country. With automation, jobs heading overseas and the cost of living going up it only makes sense.

Eventually because of automation people will be out of work through no fault of their own and be unable to find work. Think of how many jobs have been replaced with everything from Self checkouts to robot arms...

Nice one.

I think it makes sense that those with children be paid more out of it.

Up to a maximum of insurable earnings which is already around 55% of my actual income. So, with EI, I'm getting around a quarter of my income replaced which only works for me right now because of my savings. And my rent just increased by 375$/mth a week after applying.

First world problems....then again, I'm not sure EI is beneficial for me and I don't think I want to continue paying into it, if I'm being honest. If I had saved the premium payments over the years, I'd be much better off and able to replace my income in full....whilst doing it on a beach somewhere!

I'm not sure why it doesn't take into account regional disparities in cost of living, is another problem with it.

EI is a joke with Toronto rents, for example.

Another problem is the 50% reduction of your payment for each dollar earned during your benefit period, starting from the first dollar. So, instead of encouraging one to help themselves by picking up as much of a side hustle as one can during unemployment, it's disincentivised.

Then there's the added problem right now of my entire company's layoffs being caused entirely by government decisions last spring to halt building permit applications. So, now I'm out of work, and the government is out of tax revenue because of overreactions to the pandemic. Which is also irksome, though comically typical of government inaction/misguided action in regards to the pandemic. I guess the municipal government don't give a toss as they're the ones who backed up permits but are still getting my tax contribution through rent, the bastards.

Anyway, it's all bullshit, and I'd rather take care of myself than rely on the government to help me as I do a much better job of it.

Back