News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is that O'Toole losing the benefit of the doubt? Surprised to see Trudeau doing well, given the heat he is taking for vaccine availability.

I am seeing so many polls with the CPC under 30% now. It can't be considered an outlier anymore.

Looking at the Polling Canada website, at the last 5 polls, 4/5 have the CPC under 30, with one outlier.

1617190092233.png

Is that O'Toole losing the benefit of the doubt? Surprised to see Trudeau doing well, given the heat he is taking for vaccine availability.

It's the CPC refusing to acknowledge climate change openly at their convention and the SoCon's of the party reminding people they are still pushing to change abortion laws.

In this John Ibbitson column, he highlights that former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney is calling for a new 'National Policy' to grow Canada's population to 100M by the dawn of the 22nd Century.

In this John Ibbitson column, he highlights that former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney is calling for a new 'National Policy' to grow Canada's population to 100M by the dawn of the 22nd Century.

They should do what Hungary did which was pay people to have kids. They gave people large payments for having children in an effort to increase the population. It seems to be working because they are procreating like rabbits there.

They should do what Hungary did which was pay people to have kids. They gave people large payments for having children in an effort to increase the population. It seems to be working because they are procreating like rabbits there.

Uh, Hungary's fertility rate, according to this article, remains below Canada's.

It rose from 1.23 to 1.48 as a result of the incentives for more children. (2.1 children per woman is the number just to hold the population level constant over time)

Uh, Hungary's fertility rate, according to this article, remains below Canada's.

It rose from 1.23 to 1.48 as a result of the incentives for more children. (2.1 children per woman is the number just to hold the population level constant over time)

As someone who has family and friends there I can safely say that while it is lower than Canada there is something in the water. We can agree to disagree but I have seen the proof with my own eyes.

Incentives aren't that effective - like @Northern Light has said, Hungary is still below the natural replacement rate. Quebec also tried encouraging births via supports - and it is still just around 1.6.

Anyways, BM isn't necessarily wrong about the benefits of having a larger population - but we might get there simply due to instabilities elsewhere in the world.

AoD

Last edited:
We already pay people to have kids.

Not like this. This is a LARGE payment unlike our baby bonus.

As part of the measures, young couples will be offered interest-free loans of 10m forint (£27,400; $36,000), to be cancelled once they have three children.

as per: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47192612

For comparison, the National Child Benefit in Canada, for a child under 6 is $6,765 per year which would equal over $40,000 by the the end of their 6th year.

So CBC's french news arm has uncovered some sort of plan by a variety of interests, both domestic and international to build a Deep Geological Repository for nuclear waste in Labrador.

Unto itself, I have no issue with conversations about this idea.

However, there is something odd about this; not merely that the discussions have been quiet; but about the players, including former PM Chretien, and that fact those players either
'no commented', or appear to have been caught lying about their roles/involvement or those of other parties.

Its all rather peculiar.

Mark Carney is now scheduled to be the keynote speaker at the Federal Liberal convention on Thursday evening. He's often bandied about as a potential star candidate for the party, and also as a potential leadership candidate some day post-JT. In a very "I want to be leader" move he also just published his memoirs with a very contemporary politics title "Value(s): Building a Better World for All" which is also notably a "Heather's Pick" at Indigo, so we know he's got some big Liberal donor money behind him should he go for it.

Back