News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Rural internet is going to be solved by SpaceX, despite many years and billions of dollars wasted by various governments.

Our daughter's neighbour signed up for Starlink (apparently 'still in Beta). Apparently, it is very fast but not cheap. According to the Internet, hardware is $649 + S&H + tax and the service is $129/mth.

I looked into it but because it’s still quite beta, there were potential issues with reliability. That, coupled with the cost, didn’t entice me to sign up just yet. I’m not rural but it’s old infra where I live. I miss my Beanfield!

Eventually by these sorts of megaconstellations - but it isn't ready for primetime yet.

AoD
Hearing reviews from remote people (unvarnished youtube video reviews), it is transformative for them to have this level of internet service, warts and all. The service reliability is going to improve significantly as they fly more satellites, and they have really stepped up their launch cadence. To be clear, SpaceX has dubbed the service that they are providing now "Better than nothing". It more than lives up to that promise.

If we are concerned about the cost, the federal government can subsidize hardware and/or monthly subscription costs. I imagine Starlink will eventually offer lower cost/lower service tiers. The challenge with that will be the fact that the downlink hardware likely costs ~$2k. Some of that is paid upfront but the rest is repaid in subscription revenue. SpaceX would like to get the hardware cost down but the phased array antennas are pretty sophisticated chips. If you see a teardown of the downlink terminal it is a pretty impressive board.

Hearing reviews from remote people (unvarnished youtube video reviews), it is transformative for them to have this level of internet service, warts and all. The service reliability is going to improve significantly as they fly more satellites, and they have really stepped up their launch cadence. To be clear, SpaceX has dubbed the service that they are providing now "Better than nothing". It more than lives up to that promise.

If we are concerned about the cost, the federal government can subsidize hardware and/or monthly subscription costs. I imagine Starlink will eventually offer lower cost/lower service tiers. The challenge with that will be the fact that the downlink hardware likely costs ~$2k. Some of that is paid upfront but the rest is repaid in subscription revenue. SpaceX would like to get the hardware cost down but the phased array antennas are pretty sophisticated chips. If you see a teardown of the downlink terminal it is a pretty impressive board.

'Better than nothing' seems to be the market, certainly in rural Ontario where the only options are typically DSL or a terrestrial line-of-sight service, both of which have their limitations.

I'm not sure how subsidization would politically fly unless it was set up as some kind of income-based social program and establish a minimum level of service as a social goal. Remoteness alone includes multi-million dollar chalets and cottages.

'Better than nothing' seems to be the market, certainly in rural Ontario where the only options are typically DSL or a terrestrial line-of-sight service, both of which have their limitations.

I'm not sure how subsidization would politically fly unless it was set up as some kind of income-based social program and establish a minimum level of service as a social goal. Remoteness alone includes multi-million dollar chalets and cottages.
The government is already firehosing billions on rural internet. I don't know how you can fail to see subsidization 'fly'. Income testing is fine.

Anywhere with DSL service is not 'rural'/'remote'. The market to be addressed are those that only have access to line of sight, cellular network or legacy satellite service, all of which are awful.

The government is already firehosing billions on rural internet. I don't know how you can fail to see subsidization 'fly'. Income testing is fine.

Anywhere with DSL service is not 'rural'/'remote'. The market to be addressed are those that only have access to line of sight, cellular network or legacy satellite service, all of which are awful.

DSL is available anywhere there is a phone line provided it has the corresponding central office switch. Phone lines have a much deeper rural/remote penetration in many areas, simply because of the legacy network. When we were last on DSL, we were getting 2Meg although many areas are better. Line-of-sight is limited by towers, terrain and distance. Not only are some of the OTA services questionable (at least DSL was reliable), they are more expensive. I have friends in both Uxbridge (rural) and Halliburton. Short of selling their soul to satellite, their only option is DSL. In both cases, line of sight doesn't work because of the hills.

$130/mth for the connection, plus whatever phone and TV packages cost gets pricey real quick. Or you get used to watching TV on your phone.

Fallout from yesterday:

Independent ISP providers express "shock and disbelief" about CRTC ruling, plan immediate price hikes.

TekSavvy Solutions Inc. said it has shelved plans to add wireless services and may exit some internet markets as a result of Thursday's CRTC decision on wholesale internet rates.

Isn't it convenient how this move also kneecapped an entrant that would potentially create competition in the mobile market? Honestly, I wish we can just blow up the Canadian telecom oligopoly and break up the big 4 - especially vertically. No more bundling cable, internet and cell - and use that as a combo to muscle anyone out.

AoD

Last edited:
Remains of 215 children found in mass burial site near the former Kamloops Residential School:

There are memorials consisting of 215 pairs of children's shoes as part of a vigil:

There are calls for the government to do more about missing First Nations children:

We (UT) are a development forum...........but one about Toronto...........not Ottawa..........

Which left me wondering where I should post this............but since its a development being led by Justin Trudeau's government............and one likely to spark discussion, I'm plunking this here for now. A mod can decide if there's a better spot.

1622664580205.png

We (UT) are a development forum...........but one about Toronto...........not Ottawa..........

Which left me wondering where I should post this............but since its a development being led by Justin Trudeau's government............and one likely to spark discussion, I'm plunking this here for now. A mod can decide if there's a better spot.

View attachment 324606

Link to the actual article:

Of course, I am going to say RPBW please.

AoD

Back