News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

BUMP:

These regional breakdowns are a nightmare for the CPC.

Also demographically. I think in a few months when things open up nationally, we'll see an election announcement and the Liberals will comfortably win a majority.

Also demographically. I think in a few months when things open up nationally, we'll see an election announcement and the Liberals will comfortably win a majority.

No doubt. With all the screwy conservative governments across Canada they would get a Chretien Majority.

Reactions: DSC
I don't think the Liberals are bold enough to impose such a strict cancon funding fee. I can see them mandating surfacing Canadian content in algorithms.

This could be electoral poison for the Liberals.
I've heard from someone that they're also quietly considering a capital gains tax on the sale of your primary residence. That's not gonna end well if they go ahead with this.

I've heard from someone that they're also quietly considering a capital gains tax on the sale of your primary residence. That's not gonna end well if they go ahead with this.
I see little point discussing hypothetical situations that 'someone heard from someone' - you can bet that NO political party are going to go into an election saying they are going to increase taxes for a large % of the electorate. Possibly, very targeted tax increases for 'the super rich' are OK (though probably not for them!) but not a general tax increase.

Last edited:
Oops! This could become an election issue...

In a victory for large internet and phone companies, Canada's telecommunications regulator has reversed a 2019 decision to drop wholesale internet rates.
The CRTC said Thursday it made errors when it ordered major phone and cable companies to slash many of their wholesale internet rates.
TekSavvy, Distributel and other independent internet providers say they've been overcharged by wholesalers for years - a position initially supported by the CRTC's 2019 decision to lower those prices.
The CRTC said all of the 2019 rate changes have been set aside.

Oops! This could become an election issue...

They argue that maintaining and expanding their network infrastructure is a significant cost the independent companies don't bear, and that the lowered rates could limit their ability to invest in wireless or internet services in rural areas - growth the federal government has pledged to support.

Oh they have what, quarter of a century to do that? I swear rural internet has been trotted out as the rationale behind so many public and private policy decisions that you'd be able to cure cancer with it by now.

AoD

Oh they have what, quarter of a century to do that? I swear rural internet has been trotted out as the rationale behind so many public and private policy decisions that you'd be able to cure cancer with it by now.

AoD
Rural internet is going to be solved by SpaceX, despite many years and billions of dollars wasted by various governments.

Back