News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

One ethnic group that's absent from a Liberal Cabinet for the first time in decades: Italian Canadians.

http://tvo.org/blog/current-affairs/a-perfect-cabinet-some-italian-liberals-disagree

Indo-Canadians, particularly Sikhs, have become to the Liberal Party what Italian-Canadians were to the Liberals in the 1980s and 1990s. Anyway, how many good Italian-Canadians are there for cabinet? Marco Mendicino? He took out Trudeau's pick for Eglinton-Lawrence, so there might be some bad blood there. As for the few veterans, Judy Sgro is, in my opinion, where she belongs, deep in the backbenches.

Indo-Canadians, particularly Sikhs, have become to the Liberal Party what Italian-Canadians were to the Liberals in the 1980s and 1990s. Anyway, how many good Italian-Canadians are there for cabinet? Marco Mendicino? He took out Trudeau's pick for Eglinton-Lawrence, so there might be some bad blood there. As for the few veterans, Judy Sgro is, in my opinion, where she belongs, deep in the backbenches.

Indo-Canadians seem pretty well-represented in Canadian politics. Chinese-Canadians seem somewhat less so, and African-Canadians even less.

Right now, it actually seems like Indo-Canadians are the (visible?) minority whose representation in politics represents most closely their proportion of Canada's population.

Last edited:
Ethno-cultural groups represented among Toronto MPs:

Chinese - 3 (Arnold Chan: Scarborough-Agincourt, Shaun Chen: Scarborough North, Geng Tan: Don Valley North)

Ukrainian - 3 (Chrystia Freeland: Toronto Centre; Borys Wrzesneskyj: Etobicoke Centre. Julie Dzerowicz: Davenport is half-Ukrainian)

Italian - 2 (Marco Mendicino: Eglinton-Lawrence; Judy Sgro: Humber River-Black Creek)

Jewish - 2 (Julie Dabrusin: Toronto-Danforth; Michael Levitt: York Centre)

South Asian Ismaili Muslim from East Africa - 2 (Yasmin Ratsani: Don Valley East; Arif Virani: Parkdale-High Park)

Iranian - 1 (Ali Ehsassi: Willowdale)

Mexican - 1 (Julie Dzerowicz is half-Mexican)

Pakistani - 1 (Salma Zahid: Scarborough Centre)

Somali - 1 (Ahmed Hussen: York South-Weston)

Tamil - 1 (Gary Anandasangaree: Scarborough-Rouge Park)

Indo-Canadians seem pretty well-represented in Canadian politics. Chinese-Canadians seem somewhat less so, and African-Canadians even less.

Right now, it actually seems like Indo-Canadians are the (visible?) minority whose representation in politics represents most closely their proportion of Canada's population.

Yes, there are probably more Indo Canadian MPs in Peel Region than there are Chinese Canadian MPs in the whole country.

At the present time, Canada has a full roster of justices on the Supreme Court. Unless for health reasons, the next retirement date and replacement would be in 2018. See link. Expect to see no changes in the Supreme Court rulings during the first three years.

At the present time, Canada has a full roster of justices on the Supreme Court. Unless for health reasons, the next retirement date and replacement would be in 2018. See link. Expect to see no changes in the Supreme Court rulings during the first three years.

Sounds good to me. Harper raged against the Supreme Court, which means the justices are doing a good job.

Harper did manage to appoint a loyal judge before he lost the election, so that is one person who will vote against Trudeau every time.

I don't get why politicians get to appoint their own judges. What a disaster that has been in the US.

Harper did manage to appoint a loyal judge before he lost the election, so that is one person who will vote against Trudeau every time.

Putting aside this alleged "loyalty", that's not necessarily the case. Supreme Court justices, including those appointed by Harper, have not adhered to ideology the same way as their U.S. counterparts, and have been much harder to pigeonhole.

Anyway, how many good Italian-Canadians are there for cabinet? Marco Mendicino? He took out Trudeau's pick for Eglinton-Lawrence, so there might be some bad blood there.

How do we know Eve Adams was Trudeau's pick for Eglinton-Lawrence? What did Trudeau, his staff or the party say or do to suggest this? Trudeau did welcome Adams to the Liberal caucus, albeit not in the same enthusiastic manner he did for some potential candidates, but I don't recall seeing him roll out the red carpet for her in Eglinton-Lawrence or any riding. I'm not cross-examining ShonTron here, because one sees this claim that Adams was Trudeau's pick in the media occasionally (and a lot more among Tories and NDPers), but I've never seen any back up and I'm really just asking an honest question here.

Actually to be fair,even the Harper appointed SCC judges have a record of voting against a good number of the various contentious government cases. Just think what, assisted death, niqab, mandatory minimum, prostitution, oh and Nadon, etc.

Personally, I'd pay attention to his lower court appointments instead - like this choice one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ds-to-ontarios-highest-court/article25086352/

AoD

How do we know Eve Adams was Trudeau's pick for Eglinton-Lawrence? What did Trudeau, his staff or the party say or do to suggest this? Trudeau did welcome Adams to the Liberal caucus, albeit not in the same enthusiastic manner he did for some potential candidates, but I don't recall seeing him roll out the red carpet for her in Eglinton-Lawrence or any riding. I'm not cross-examining ShonTron here, because one sees this claim that Adams was Trudeau's pick in the media occasionally (and a lot more among Tories and NDPers), but I've never seen any back up and I'm really just asking an honest question here.

As someone within the party, it was pretty obvious that the whole Eve Adams thing was being directed from the top. I don't think there was anyone who disagreed with that assessment, whether NDP, CPC or LPC. There was a lot of talk within the LPC about the optics of that decision, and some scrambling to distract from the attention her loss gained. (and excitement from people who were happy about the loss, as it showed that riding associations were still quite powerful on their own)

it was pretty obvious that the whole Eve Adams thing was being directed from the top

How so? I know Liberals who have told me the opposite. (Again, this is not a loaded question, but I am just puzzled the whole Eve Adams saga. I've seen allegations all over the place, but have yet to hear any details.)

Back