News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How so? I know Liberals who have told me the opposite. (Again, this is not a loaded question, but I am just puzzled the whole Eve Adams saga. I've seen allegations all over the place, but have yet to hear any details.)

Because everyone internally was mystified as to why she was being welcomed into the party. I didn't know anyone who was happy with the decision besides those higher up in the party who were calling the shots.

Basically, riding associations don't like meddling. They especially don't like meddling when it is a candidate that has no ties to a riding (or the association), and when that candidate comes from another party. Riding associations do a lot of work to find suitable candidates. Having someone suddenly parachute themselves in, while getting support from the leader of the party, doesn't bode well for those who have been working on finding a candidate that is suitable to a riding.

That's why I am asking. Like I said, I find the whole thing puzzling. Your choice of the word "mystified" is a good one. But there is a big difference between letting her join the caucus (mystifying), and then making her the party's choice in Eglinton-Lawrence (several degrees more mystifying). I think a lot of people are assuming the former must mean the latter, but I don't see any evidence of that. And if there was, does that mean Soudas brought something important to the table? It would have had to have been something massive to risk the riding like that. Lots of speculation, but I haven't heard anything compelling (on either side of the question, to be honest).

So, that just goes to say, I'm not entirely sure there is any problem between Mendicino and the party hierarchy.

I'm not sure people care about Eve Adams per se, except perhaps in a "what the hell happened there" kind of way. But either way, I think people are perfectly entitled to discuss it.

Cecil Foster a leading Black Canadian academic notes there are no black Cabinet ministers. There are at least 2 Black MPs in the GTA: Ahmed Hussen, a Somali Canadian lawyer (York South-Weston), as well as entrepreneur Celina Caesar-Chavennes (Whitby).
Geez, the most diverse and inclusive Cabinet in Canadian history and still some people are never happy. Had Hussen been chosen for the Cabinet, Foster would have complained that there's no Afro-Caribbean representation. Had Caesar-Chavennes been chosen, Foster would have complained that there's no representation for males of Caribbean descent.

Indo-Canadians, particularly Sikhs, have become to the Liberal Party what Italian-Canadians were to the Liberals in the 1980s and 1990s.

Also, you can argue that Sikh voters played a key role in the Liberals getting a majority. Not only the obvious Surrey and Brampton seats, but also seats like Mission BC and Calgary-Skyview.

Last edited:
God... even a poll on the Toronto Sun website asking "Do you approve of the job Prime Minister Trudeau is doing?" has 76% yes vs. 24% no.

What the hell is in this country's drinking water?

I don't think Harper realizes how badly he has damaged the Conservative brand. The fact that such simple moves such as reversing some of Harper's moves are playing out in the Liberal's favour, drawing even more support to them and less to the Conservatives has got to have their caucus fuming.

With today's Forum numbers, the Liberals would still be able to win a majority government even without first past the post. A few months ago, no one would have predicted this amount of support for them.

The fact that such simple moves such as reversing some of Harper's moves are playing out in the Liberal's favour, drawing even more support to them and less to the Conservatives has got to have their caucus fuming.

Agreed. It's not helping the Tories that they also seem to be regretting some of the actions they took in government, and thus supporting these Liberal changes in direction: Clement admitting he ought never to have gutted the census, Ambrose now supporting an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women.

Back