News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think it is just a matter of time before we have a female PM. Most of the provinces (and all of the big ones) have had female premiers, of all political stripes.

1993 PC =\= 2023 CPC

Heck, today's CPC is not even like Harper's CPC. I wonder if women like Rona Ambrose and Lisa Raitt would have same opportunities and profile today. Would the CPC base ever elect Melissa Lantsman to leadership?
I believe we’re discussing women of any party to replace Trudeau, so Libs too, not necessarily Cons.

I think it is just a matter of time before we have a female PM. Most of the provinces (and all of the big ones) have had female premiers, of all political stripes.

We've already had one. Not such a huge reach. Especially in the LPC. A VisMin PM? Definitely a long way off.

I believe we’re discussing women of any party to replace Trudeau, so Libs too, not necessarily Cons.

This thread of discussion started out by my pointing out that Anita Anand is a long shot for PM. This is because of Quebec. Both inside the party leadership contest and inside the general. Happy to be proven wrong.

A VisMin PM? Definitely a long way off.
Well. It’s all a matter of perspective. Brampton already has a VisMin mayor.

By 2036, my pasty white ass will be a minority in Canada. As such I expect we’ll have a brown female PM before 2040. The Right Honourable Lilly Singh?

Last edited:
We've already had one. Not such a huge reach. Especially in the LPC. A VisMin PM? Definitely a long way off.
I mean, one that has won a general election. Most of the provinces have elected female premiers. Campbell was selected by the party as a bag holder.

I mean, one that has won a general election. Most of the provinces have elected female premiers. Campbell was selected by the party as a bag holder.
To be fair to Campbell, Mulroney’s former PC base split to Reform and BQ, leaving her just the rump of Ontario and Maritimer Red Tories. Had the PCs not splintered, Campbell would have won the 1993 election.

Last edited:
Mini-budget tomorrow is expected to include 15B in low-interest loans/loan guarantees from CMHC for new purpose-built rental housing. Lets wait and see if this is all 'new money'

Also in offing are 1B in direct funding for rent-geared-to-income/non-profit housing.

* if the latter were the sole source of funding it would generate a whopping 1,500 units for the whole country. Assuming the proposition is some type of leverage, they may get as many as 15,000 units out of it; but even that is a proverbial drop in the bucket.

Apparently we'll also see some minor disincentives to short-term rentals that will amount to window dressing overall; and some undefined changes to the Competition Act to spur lower prices in one or more sectors.

The irony....

Above ^^^ Before

Below vvv After

16B in subsidies and we're going to allow TFWs in, en masse to build and fit-out the new EV factory.

I don't for the life of me understand their thinking. Is this just politics? Or have they just completely lost the plot? It's like they want a MAGAesque backlash in Canada. Did they learn anything from the deindustrialization of the American Midwest and what it did to America politics?

The irony....

So, the LPC's current arse-stupid TFW/immigration policy isn't the result of misguided rainbows-unicorns-fairies thinking, but a deliberate attempt to subsidize our lovely oligarchies, drive down wages, and drive up housing prices for our entrenched upper-middle class voters? And the big man knows this?

I don't even know which is worse.

Not that I seriously believed that even the LPC was so stupid as the first option.

The federal Liberals are almost in third, according to a Nanos poll. 😦

1700594297565.png

The federal Liberals are almost in third, according to a Nanos poll. 😦

View attachment 521987

Should Canadians manage to understand the gist of the Fall '23 Economic Statement:

I expect the Libs are headed for south of 20%

Its such an insult to Canadians struggling w/housing and food costs with tiny drabs of nothing here and there; other than the flagship investments in rental, overdue, but also entirely inadequate .

How are Canadians going to find life more affordable everyone?

If you guessed removing HST for Psychotherapy you win a prize (for having read the advance copy of the statement).

Seriously?

And an unspecified future move to cap international roaming charges? (breaking down laughing) not that its a bad idea......

But this is akin to providing someone a new pair of socks when they can't afford the electricity bill.

Back