News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Butts isn't new to politics (or more accurate, the machinery of politics). Not so much so talking about the MP but his inner sanctum here.

One man can't run the entire government and the office of each Minister. Much as I am sure Butts would like to.

We have been concentrating so much on how stupid and incompetent Trudeau is, that we forgot how corrupt and unethical he was.
Trudeau is the best thing that happened to Canada in a long time. He has very progressive views on women and is a feminist and has done a lot to reach out to the Muslim community which is more than I can say for Stephen Harper. With Trump winning in the States, Brexit in the UK, Le Pen leading the polls in France, Putin in Russia, Orban in Hungary and Erdogan in Turkey, it's a nice refresher to see that there is a progressive feminist world leader out there who will not bend to the the Alt-Right extremists.

I really like this cabinet shuffle. The immigration minister is an immigrant and the new foreign minister is an expert on Russia.

Last edited:
upload_2017-1-12_20-53-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-12_20-53-37.png
    upload_2017-1-12_20-53-37.png
    74 KB · Views: 230
Oh boy. This is gonna bite him in the next election.

Trudeau's 'phase out' oilsands comments spark outrage in Alberta
"You can't make a choice between what's good for the environment and what's good for the economy. We can't shut down the oilsands tomorrow. We need to phase them out. We need to manage the transition off of our dependence on fossil fuels. That is going to take time. And in the meantime, we have to manage that transition."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/justin-trudeau-oilsands-phase-out-1.3934701

Oh boy. This is gonna bite him in the next election.

Trudeau's 'phase out' oilsands comments spark outrage in Alberta

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/justin-trudeau-oilsands-phase-out-1.3934701

As politically inopportune that is, I think a certain population is having delusions around the viability of fossil fuel use in the long run. Of course, the joke is he actually presided over actual pipeline approvals. Biting him in the ass? It doesn't help, but it is AB, not like a serious base. He probably ticked off more supporters with the pipelines.

AoD

I don't think this comment will harm him in the long run. He is walking a fine, middle line on the environmental issue - approving some pipelines, cancelling others, while introducing carbon taxes. The Leap Manifesto folks/Jane Fonda on one side are not happy on the grounds he is doing too little, while the drill-baby-drill (for lack of a better term) folks on the other side are not happy either because he is allegedly doing too much. The "phase out" comment generated "outrage" from folks who are already outraged, and who are in a constant state of self-serving agitation on this issue. Trudeau is not trying to appeal to them - he is trying to appeal to most Canadians in the middle, and polls show he is having some success on that front on this issue.

If I were him, I would be more worried about the ethics investigation into his holiday vacation than what a couple of clucks like Brian Jean and Derek Fildebrandt think about our future dependency on fossil fuel.

Last edited:
If I am Trudeau, I should be feeling a little bit like Poland right now (in terms of geopolitical position) wondering if there is a Molotov-Ribbentrop move in the works (in a metaphorical sense). If OrangeHair can just wave off Merkel/EU/NATO like he just did, you'd bet he has no compulsions against selling out Canadian interests to the north.

The world has gotten far more dangerous - and it's not the pesky terrorists I am talking about. He might want to talk about the sunny ways, but like it or not, it is anything but and he need to demonstrate leadership. He need to sell the notion to Canadians that it maybe time to batten down the hatches and beef up the military fast and in exotic ways (and not in the Harper-era image over substance chest-beating way either) deficits be damned - he is facing some existential threats that no PM has to face in the last what, 30 years if not longer.

AoD

Last edited:
I don't think Canada is in that position just yet. Trump may not be around in 4 years time, and his era will be just a blip before things continue as normal. If the status quo does not remain and Trump's blimp becomes more than a blimp, then maybe a course correction will be necessary.

The real test if for the European Union and Europe at large. Russia's invasion of Ukraine is being expanded on more and more fronts with no signs of relenting, while Trump and Putin are both supporting extremist eurosceptic parties on both the far left and the far right in Europe. Often Eurosceptics pointed to NATO as a reason why leaving the EU shouldn't be an issue on the security front, but now we have Trump openly lambasting NATO. I think it is time for Europeans to realize they need to reform their military structure in light of everything, as well as the migration crisis.

I don't think Canada is in that position just yet. Trump may not be around in 4 years time, and his era will be just a blip before things continue as normal. If the status quo does not remain and Trump's blimp becomes more than a blimp, then maybe a course correction will be necessary.

The real test if for the European Union and Europe at large. Russia's invasion of Ukraine is being expanded on more and more fronts with no signs of relenting, while Trump and Putin are both supporting extremist eurosceptic parties on both the far left and the far right in Europe. Often Eurosceptics pointed to NATO as a reason why leaving the EU shouldn't be an issue on the security front, but now we have Trump openly lambasting NATO. I think it is time for Europeans to realize they need to reform their military structure in light of everything, as well as the migration crisis.

Trump may or may not be around in four years, but the damage may already be done at that point. Assumption of normalcy is what got us into trouble in the first place (as they have learned down south, their systems of checks and balances are looking creaky, to say even less of their electorate). Nothing is ever certain, but not yet is cold comfort - it provides time to act, and we'd be fools not to take advantage of it (if we are honest with ourselves, how much confidence should we have in the new normal being anything like the old?)

As to the EU, it will be "interesting" to see if the powers survive the coming challenge of disinformation in a manner we'd recognize. Nobody is going to invade Germany or France, but someone is obviously interested in shifting the power balance and breaking existing alliances. And honestly, just how ready are we to handle a disinformation campaign of the same sort here at home, if they should bother?

AoD

Last edited:

Back