News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That was a major promise for me too, and I thought it was probably going to be our best shot in a generation at accomplishing something. I could live with it if they had seriously tried and ran up against too much opposition to make it happen but they never really bothered to try.

I haven't actually voted Liberal in an election since then. I've mostly voted Green and maybe once or twice NDP.
It was my biggest disappointment with Trudeau as well.

I was pretty pleased with marijuana legalization (prohibition was a farce) and carbon tax.

I was pretty pleased with marijuana legalization (prohibition was a farce) and carbon tax.
Same! And the Canada Child Benefit, which lifted hundreds of thousands of kids out of poverty. Cheap daycare was good for me personally (it came just in time!), but I'm not sure it was a well-designed program.

Same! And the Canada Child Benefit, which lifted hundreds of thousands of kids out of poverty. Cheap daycare was good for me personally (it came just in time!), but I'm not sure it was a well-designed program.

Be careful what you wish for.

When the pendulum swings to the right, things may not be as peachy keen as people think. All that outrage against the LPC will only lead to another Harper style situation in Ottawa.

Yes life is unaffordable now but how do you expect the CPC to resolve that? They will lower taxes and cut services they think are not needed because of the limited revenue.

It is great that people want lower taxes but you can't have them and still keep things like Pharmacare or put more money into your pockets.

2. Their thinking at the time is that it would create fringe parties with extremist views
If you run a fair and successful country you don't need to worry about fringe parties or extremist views. Populism only finds success if the country sets the conditions for it. Populists thrive when there is widespread dissatisfaction or a perceived crisis among the population, such as economic downturns, social unrest, corruption scandals, or fears about immigration. Run a good ship and the extremists will not find an audience outside of the fringes - that's why Trump had to crush that bipartisan immigration bill, as he can only succeed if the public perceives the system is broken.

Last edited:
We'll see how this riding does in the federal election- I think it will swing back to the Liberals once more people are voting.
Maybe... If the Liberals ran someone who actually lived in the riding, I think they'd have a better shot. Carolyn Bennett was a really good MP. She held town halls for her constituents, did a Canada Day BBQ every year (and probably gave out thousands of hot dogs during her time as MP), and was responsive. It's probably why she wasn't ever defeated.

When Jill Andrew was first elected, I thought she was a crazy SJW. But she seemed to be able to shed that persona which surprised me. I hope Don Stewart can do the same. To me, he seems like a cold uptight banker straight off of Bay Street.

I didn't vote for Leslie Church because she didn't live in the riding and just didn't want her representing me long term. It would be better if the Liberals tried running someone else next time round (only a year away). If the election was further out, I probably would have voted for her.

I didn't really like how this by-election morphed from being about how the candidates would represent and serve their constituents. To one that became about a referendum on Trudeau. That said, it wouldn't disappoint me if he left. The Liberal caucus is a shell of what it was in 2015 with Ralph Goodale, Bob Rae, Jody Wilson Raybould, John McCallum, and now Carolyn Bennett. I don't know anyone in the Liberal caucus who has the willingness and the ability to challenge Trudeau on policy anymore (almost like Harper in 2014).

The Liberal caucus is a shell of what it was in 2015 with Ralph Goodale, Bob Rae, Jody Wilson Raybould, John McCallum, and now Carolyn Bennett. I don't know anyone in the Liberal caucus who has the willingness and the ability to challenge Trudeau on policy anymore (almost like Harper in 2014).

As I said.. talking points.

The LPC I grew up with, the party of Chrétien and Pearson is long gone.

Now the party is scripted for the public image. They have gone from the left to the centre and no longer have progressive ideas.

What they need is a return to the past. Return them to what made Canada something to be proud of globally.

Right now, the LPC are out of touch buffoons who can't do or say anything without party brass approving it.

The LPC I grew up with, the party of Chrétien and Pearson is long gone.
Pearson, as in PM from 1963 to 1968? I grew up in the 1980s and 90s. That Canada, where housing and postsecondary education was affordable, jobs were full time with benefits, real estate was for living in not investing... well that Canada is gone.

Pearson, as in PM from 1963 to 1968? I grew up in the 1980s and 90s. That Canada, where housing and postsecondary education was affordable, jobs were full time with benefits, real estate was for living in not investing... well that Canada is gone.

That world had been gone a long, long time ago to a varying degree everywhere - and you can lay the blame not just on the LPC, but on Neoliberalism 80s onward in general. The question is how do you move forward from here - with the rise of AI and other geopolitical factors that could prove even more destabilizing.

AoD

That world had been gone a long, long time ago to a varying degree everywhere - and you can lay the blame not just on the LPC, but on Neoliberalism 80s onward in general.
Agreed, 100%. I'm not laying this at Justin's feet. But the people are angry.
The question is how do you move forward from here - with the rise of AI and other geopolitical factors that could prove even more destabilizing.
All I can do is assemble all the resources I can to retire well, while ensuring my adult children have housing. There's going to be a lot of have nots pulling at the gates.

The question is how do you move forward from here - with the rise of AI and other geopolitical factors that could prove even more destabilizing.

UBI.

Tax cuts are great but you need if a person does not have a job that does not help them any. With the rise of AI and automation, there needs to be a UBI which can compensate for people who are unable to work due to obsolescence.

UBI.

Tax cuts are great but you need if a person does not have a job that does not help them any. With the rise of AI and automation, there needs to be a UBI which can compensate for people who are unable to work due to obsolescence.

Be very, very careful about UBI - on top of the issue of funding, isn't necessarily the panacea if the amount provided is insufficient (also there is often an implicit goal of providing UBI in lieu of government funded services - which meant that while you can have income, you will not necessarily have public services).

Perhaps one option would be to tax the use of AI on the basis of person-equivalent economic output (though that can also be problematical in many ways).

AoD

I guess the best we can hope for then is a war or outbreak that fundamentally resets society.
Nothing is going to happen so long as those with the resources control the outcome, and the disinformation to ensure their status quo is maintained.

Back