News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I wish we had term limits. There are lots of examples of term limits for head of state, but it’s rare or never done for PMs, but if possible I’d support eight years as PM and then you’re done.
Pretty rare for PMs to last much longer than 8 years. Trudeau might get to 10.

I wish we had term limits. There are lots of examples of term limits for head of state, but it’s rare or never done for PMs, but if possible I’d support eight years as PM and then you’re done.
We are the terms limit.

It would be difficult to craft a constitutional amendment (it would take that) in a confidence-based system that doesn't have fixed length terms.

We are the terms limit.
Not really. In my riding of Toronto Centre you have two choices: Liberal or NDP, and both will prop up Trudeau. If I vote for CPC or Greens my vote is wasted. So, I have no way of limiting Trudeau's term. Mind you, the by-election in Toronto-St. Paul's gave me some hope.

Pretty rare for PMs to last much longer than 8 years. Trudeau might get to 10.
The next election is in a year, so he will get to 10. I wonder if we'll see history repeat itself like his father Pierre - become deeply unpopular, get punted out of office followed by a disastrous CPC term, only for Justin to rise from the ashes to win a fourth election. So far we're following the script pretty closely, and given PP's polarizing nature I could see a CPC term being chaotic enough to give the L's a comeback opportunity sooner than we'd expect.

The next election could be next week! It's up to Jagmeet Singh at this point when the next election will be.

That said, for reasons, it's highly unlikely to be before October 2025.

I wonder if we'll see history repeat itself like his father Pierre - become deeply unpopular, get punted out of office followed by a disastrous CPC term, only for Justin to rise from the ashes to win a fourth election.
He might very well enjoy the few years off. He can hit the MILF pool, travel wherever you want, hang out with the A-listers, gain some cash and cred on the speaking circuit, etc. all before returning to resurrect the LPC.

He'll have to come back after a CPC drubbing. Because without Trudeau isn't the LPC returning to its Ignatieff and Dion era of unelectable wonkish academics?

Last edited:
The next election is in a year, so he will get to 10. I wonder if we'll see history repeat itself like his father Pierre - become deeply unpopular, get punted out of office followed by a disastrous CPC term, only for Justin to rise from the ashes to win a fourth election. So far we're following the script pretty closely, and given PP's polarizing nature I could see a CPC term being chaotic enough to give the L's a comeback opportunity sooner than we'd expect.
The NDP could pull their support or Trudeau could resign.

The NDP could pull their support or Trudeau could resign.
On your second point, Trudeau resigning does not trigger an election. The LPC would have an internal vote to replace him, same way we got PMs Kim Campbell, Paul Martin and John Turner when their PM resigned.

Your first point on the NDP was covered above.
It's up to Jagmeet Singh at this point when the next election will be.

Not really. In my riding of Toronto Centre you have two choices: Liberal or NDP, and both will prop up Trudeau. If I vote for CPC or Greens my vote is wasted. So, I have no way of limiting Trudeau's term. Mind you, the by-election in Toronto-St. Paul's gave me some hope.
Globally, the electorate is the term limit for the party in power. Sure, at the individual riding level, in some cases Jesus couldn't win or a ham sandwich could.

Just as an off-the-top of-my head example, a party forms two consecutive governments of 3 years each (either minority or they just decided to pull the trigger early) so, six years. It then wins a majority government and wants to ride it out, but would be prevented from going the full five year term.

Or, if the limit was number of sessions, then the governing party would simply be barred from running. How is that democratic?

Would they be permitted to take a 'gap year' then try again per Pere Trudeau?

We elect governments, not persons.

There are a lot of things wrong with our electoral system, but imposed limits won't solve them.

Back