News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

That would be interesting as we seem to be in an era where a lot of union leadership are sufficiently out of touch with the base that they actually sign these deals that are then rejected on the member vote.
I know that could always happen, but it seems much more common now.
When was the last time that happend?

That would be interesting as we seem to be in an era where a lot of union leadership are sufficiently out of touch with the base that they actually sign these deals that are then rejected on the member vote.
I know that could always happen, but it seems much more common now.
I doubt there is any overall data on this but, just going on memory and those negotiations that get media attention, I get the sense that non-ratification of a tentative agreement is fairly rare. Off the top of my head I can't remember a recent one.

What would be the benefit to the bargaining committee/executive? If they were that out of touch with their membership, they likely wouldn't be in place for long.

It happened with the TTC I think in 2018. And Metro/Unifor last year. So it's rare, but definitely something that is always a possibility.
There's been a lot recently.

Even just yesterday

Interesting both those articles note the ejection margins are often very narrow.

Not a federal issue per se, but certainly one that effects people across Canada is how to address the issue of people with severe addictions that represent a danger to themselves and others, refuse treatment.

The BC government out with an announcement today that involuntary treatment is very much back on the table, effective immediately.

For background here, BC has been steadily moving in this direction, under the current NDP government as public calls to 'do something' about the number of people wandering the streets, some violent, in a state of severe intoxication.

BC is about to head into a provincial election, so the gov't is getting this policy announcement in before they are precluded from doing so in a week's time.

This on the heels of BC's main opposition, the Conservative Party saying it would pursue involuntary treatment as well.

I think this is relevant, here, because we're seeing this shift in views across much of the country. Under NDP rule in BC, and under Conservative rule in Alberta and Ontario (we're not at this inflection point yet in Ontario, but the move to close a sizable number of safe injection sites, and open more treatment beds suggests similar policy moves in progress).

From the above:

1726436936721.png

Last edited:
Hmm, @PL1 , could elaborate on the sad face here?
I disagree with the recriminalization/ forced incarceration. Unfortunately, we don't want to do the hard things to help these people. Treatment, housing, employment, etc are all necessary, as is safe consumption for those with addictions. Unfortunately, this is a complex problem that has developed over many years. The solution will not be simple, but I am sure this latest BC solution will just drive these problems out of sight.

I know there are a lot of opinions on this; this is mine

I disagree with the recriminalization/ forced incarceration. Unfortunately, we don't want to do the hard things to help these people. Treatment, housing, employment, etc are all necessary, as is safe consumption for those with addictions. Unfortunately, this is a complex problem that has developed over many years. The solution will not be simple, but I am sure this latest BC solution will just drive these problems out of sight.

I know there are a lot of opinions on this; this is mine

I think that's fair.

I don't support recriminalization, nor the frivolous use of forced confinement or treatment.

I certainly agree, that anything that smacks of that primarily or alone is suspect.

However, I would also say that the opposite approach, one in which we are reluctant to institutionalize in the extreme has broadly proved to be as ineffective and dubious as its predecessor.

Are overdoses up or down? (Up); and addictions up or down (up); is the prevalence of people homeless due in part or whole to mental illness (not necessarily addiction) up or down? (up).

Clearly, we're getting something wrong.

Now I think the first part, is voluntary treatment on demand............not an infernal six month (or worse) wait lists
But surely we also need to find a method to address people who are not in their right mind, and/or in withdrawal in the case of addiction and ask whether declining treatment is in fact a reasonable and responsible choice.

I certainly agree we use to over-institutionalize and over criminalize, but I feel rather certain we haven't got the balance in the right place.

The details, of course, matter greatly; and in BC's case, we'll need to see what those entail.

Little-known program dominates Canada's massive guest-worker scheme​

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/co...dominates-canadas-massive-guest-worker-scheme

Union leader Mark Olsen is frustrated Canadians know almost nothing about Ottawa’s international mobility program. And he’s afraid company bosses want it that way.

The program is the vast federal guest worker program that now brings by far the most newcomers into Canada — with more than one million in the country now.

It’s also the program that Olsen believes makes it most easy for employers to exploit guest workers, which in turn harms Canadian workers.

As the western manager of the Laborers International Union of North America, Olsen said that the international mobility program is drawing more than four times as many guest workers as the more discussed temporary foreign workers program.

Olsen believes Trudeau’s gesture with the temporary foreign workers program is window-dressing. If the past is a guide, he said, the federal government and corporations will just use the decline of that program to funnel more foreign workers into the expanding international mobility program.
The major defect in the international mobility program, Olsen said, is that, unlike the temporary foreign workers program, it doesn’t require Canadian employers to provide evidence to the government that they’re unable to find a Canadian to do the job.

The guest worker track known as the international mobility program has expanded dramatically since the Liberals gained power in 2015. (Source: B.C. Building Trades, Jonathan Sas)

“This has made the IMP (international mobility program) ripe for abuse of both the system and the temporary worker, and has fuelled explosive growth under the program,” said Olsen.
However, Mark Olsen is on to something when he worries ordinary Canadians have no idea about the country’s many guest worker programs — and the often crucial differences between them.

Canada’s migration system is complex and confusing. Even politicians, pundits and pollsters often make comments that suggest they mistakenly think the temporary foreign workers program is the only Canadian stream for “temporary” workers. It doesn’t help that the term, international mobility program, is itself fuzzy.

In the face of the public’s ignorance, which Mark Olsen believes companies capitalize on, the leaders of the Laborers International Union want to reform Canada’s guest-worker programs.

Good-IMP-graph-Jonathan-Sas.png

Little-known program dominates Canada's massive guest-worker scheme
https://vancouversun.com/opinion/co...dominates-canadas-massive-guest-worker-scheme
PM Poilievre had better rip this program into shreds. And while we're at it, why has the Federal Public Service grown by 43% or 110,738 employees since 2015 during Trudeau's governance when the population has grown by 15%? Assuming salary and benefits of $100k each, that's almost $12 billion in additional government spending. What are these employees doing that was not getting done before they arrived?

1726491534694.png

I think that's fair.

I don't support recriminalization, nor the frivolous use of forced confinement or treatment.

I certainly agree, that anything that smacks of that primarily or alone is suspect.

However, I would also say that the opposite approach, one in which we are reluctant to institutionalize in the extreme has broadly proved to be as ineffective and dubious as its predecessor.

Are overdoses up or down? (Up); and addictions up or down (up); is the prevalence of people homeless due in part or whole to mental illness (not necessarily addiction) up or down? (up).

Clearly, we're getting something wrong.

Now I think the first part, is voluntary treatment on demand............not an infernal six month (or worse) wait lists
But surely we also need to find a method to address people who are not in their right mind, and/or in withdrawal in the case of addiction and ask whether declining treatment is in fact a reasonable and responsible choice.

I certainly agree we use to over-institutionalize and over criminalize, but I feel rather certain we haven't got the balance in the right place.

The details, of course, matter greatly; and in BC's case, we'll need to see what those entail.
We've been trying to figure this one out in Ontario as well as discussed previously... Please note that while I speak of Canada in the quote, I meant Ontario specifically when talking about criteria to hold a person against their will:

I'm going to put this story here. While it doesn't really mention the Ford gov't; it concerns the very poor way in which the health and justice systems manage the care of those w/serious mental health issues, and the lousy outcomes that result.

In this particular case, the story revolves around a woman who had been a nurse in Cornwall for decades, and had led a law abiding life........but whose bi-polar disorder grew worse in recent years, and she could no longer be counted on to take the medication that had kept in check.

Subsequently, she's had regular brushes w/that law, and consumed police, correctional and crown resources along w/those of the mental health system; essentially, because she can and will behave when properly medicated, but each time she has become 'normal' she has chosen to exit care and stop taking her medication.

We want to be careful about the idea of compulsory administration of medication, or holding seemingly competent people against their will; but clearly, when evidence repeatedly shows that someone will become a risk to themselves and/or others if not medicated/cared for........we need a new approach.

As the above is a provincial matter, this seemed the most apt thread to post it in.

Circling back on this...

If a patient in Canada isn't going to commit imminent harm to oneself and/or others then it's easier to keep them involuntary. Otherwise you have to prove mental/physical deterioration plus the patient being incapable (box B, i.e. not being able to see consequences of actions). However, if treatment is working, it becomes hard(er) to prove that they are going to cause (immediate) harm, even if they have done so in the past.

As an interesting side note, I asked acquaintances stateside who claimed you could commit an apple if you wanted. It seems Canada focuses more on patient rights (whether it works effectively, I am not sure) and here we are. As a patient, you are (moreso) given the right to make bad decisions (and end up in jail etc). I presume finding the right balance is quite challenging.

We should have ample data given the varying degree for how we deal with involuntary commitment (see the variation across US states and our provinces).

The balance of one's personal rights over public safety has been a problem (see above)...

The pendulum swings again...

We've been trying to figure this one out in Ontario as well as discussed previously... Please note that while I speak of Canada in the quote, I meant Ontario specifically when talking about criteria to hold a person against their will:

We should have ample data given the varying degree for how we deal with involuntary commitment (see the variation across US states and our provinces).

The balance of one's personal rights over public safety has been a problem (see above)...

The pendulum swings again...

The pendulum is swinging, maybe, but note that BC's current plan is to open... 10 spots in a facility in the Surrey Pretrial jail. I hate to break the news to the Premier of BC, but 10 beds is not going to make much of a dent in a drug problem that kills 7 people a day in BC right now. It's just more talk but not actually doing anything. An election announcement, with nothing concrete to back it up.

The pendulum is swinging, maybe, but note that BC's current plan is to open... 10 spots in a facility in the Surrey Pretrial jail. I hate to break the news to the Premier of BC, but 10 beds is not going to make much of a dent in a drug problem that kills 7 people a day in BC right now. It's just more talk but not actually doing anything. An election announcement, with nothing concrete to back it up.

In fairness to the Premier of BC, the proposal includes building at least one, and maybe 2 additional facilities, likely to be much larger in scale; this is absolutely a "what can do right this minute' measure in respect of the 10 beds. Standing up an entirely new building is something that will obviously take much longer.

I don't expect the 10 beds to make a huge difference, though it does need to be said, that I assume, in most cases, the intent is not to have a large spike in long-term care, but rather an interventional treatment, which would likely be measured in months.

So the 10 beds would presumably churn; now is that at 1x per year, 2x per year or 4x per year, I'm not sure what there plan is, but if, for arguments sake its 2x per year, then it would help with up to 40 people over a 2 year period.

Still entirely inadequate to the scale of the problem, no question, but certainly somewhere to start.

Edit to add:

BC did announce 180 new treatment beds for addition back in January of this year.

Back