News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

At this point, though, is there any difference between #2 and #3? The only difference is the election result, not the party's strategy.
Let's see. Maybe there will be no different whatsoever and Harris bringing her party to a Kim Campbell-like loss in November. Everyone will blame Biden for that, much as we do Mulroney for Campbell's.

This! Plus broken promises of 2015 of a balanced budget by 2019 and electoral reform. A balanced budget by 2019 (AKA getting your house in order during good times in preparation for rainy days), would have prepared the nation financially to weather the Covid crisis. Why did Trudeau think that increasing immigration in excess of growth rate in housing and employment would be a good thing? Why would increasing TFWs (outside of seasonal agriculture) and foreign students to thus decrease both wages and work opportunities for Canadians, as well as making our economy more dependent on low skilled labour from the subcontinent instead of focusing on innovation and growing high skilled employment, be a good thing?

The LPC has three paths going into 2025, and only one has a chance of maintaining power.
  1. The Mother Wynne model. Premier Kathleen Wynne ignores, more than a year before the 2018 election that her personal unpopularity was tanking the OLP's chances, and stays to the end. Result: record loss: down from 55 seats to 7 seats.
  2. The Brian Mulroney model. Ignoring his record unpopularity, Mulroney waits until June 1993 to resign, a mere three months before Parliament was due to expire, throwing his replacement, the mostly unknown Kim Campbell straight over a glass cliff in the Oct 1993 election. Result: Record loss: down from 154 seats to 2 seats.
  3. The Democratic Party (US) Switcheroo: Biden is deeply unpopular, but he doesn't cancel his candidacy until after his opponent Trump has spent his powder and made his campaign entirely focused on Biden. Then, Biden drops out, putting the GOP campaign into disarray and resetting the narrative and vibe for potential voters, now making Trump seem like the extreme populist nutcase.
The third model, that of the early exit and new leader is the LPC's only chance. Yes, VP Harris has about the same amount of time that Kim Campbell had between drop to election, but Harris also has the benefit of hundreds of millions $$ in ad money and is not unknown to Americans. But these differences aside, the model works for the LPC. So, Jan 2025, Trudeau announces that he's not running in the next election, and the LPC (also unlike the Dems) has a quick convention and appoints a new champion. This champion MUST be able to hold current and former LPC voters, plus appeal to Bloc, NDP and soft-Con voters.
I absolutely HATE IT that were stuck with three parties to chose from, I hate how our election system works, it makes me question if my vote is even worth it.

I absolutely ador the european voting systems where you have lots of parties to vote for that then form coalitions and etc.

Reactions: PL1
Who is advising the Liberals?

There is a famous quote:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"

Who is advising the Liberals?

There is a famous quote:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"

While I take all sorts of issue w/the current government...................this thread is not meant to be an open-ended rant against any government.

IF you have a specific critique, or an opinion on a specific policy decision or PR tack...........you should specify that, and link to same.

PS Its a good quote (or approximation of same); to which the proper attribution is in dispute. Long held by many to belong to Albert Einstein, the evidence for same is poor. Some suggest Civil Rights activist Rita Mae Brown as the source, but that's exactly definitive either.

Back