News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

One of the first things the Trudeau Liberals did was reverse the previous government's rules on sponsoring senior parents.
This is a stupid policy, and only necessary if we’re trolling the desperate third world for immigrants who would be leaving behind newly-destitute extended families. When we moved to Canada from the UK in the 1970s we never expected my grandparents to move with us. - they had their own lives, careers, pensions and healthcare in the UK. Sure they came to visit us frequently, but that’s where it should stop.

This is a stupid policy, and only necessary if we’re trolling the desperate third world for immigrants who would be leaving behind newly-destitute extended families. When we moved to Canada from the UK in the 1970s we never expected my grandparents to move with us. - they had their own lives, careers, pensions and healthcare in the UK. Sure they came to visit us frequently, but that’s where it should stop.
It would probably be more cost effective to have immigrants remit money to support their family in their country. The benefit of allowing parents to come is help with child-care. I could see giving temporary visas for this purpose (several years while the parents have young children) but it should not come with a pathway to citizenship, work permit, or benefits entitlement.

When you moved from the UK, daycare wasn't there equivalent of a mortgage payment and it wasn't necessary for both parents to work.

I don't agree with the LPC policy, but I certainly understand why new immigrants (who are often working harder than average) might want that family support.

It would probably be more cost effective to have immigrants remit money to support their family in their country. The benefit of allowing parents to come is help with child-care. I could see giving temporary visas for this purpose (several years while the parents have young children) but it should not come with a pathway to citizenship, work permit, or benefits entitlement.

The biggest complaint was healthcare costs. I watched my own parents spend several hundred dollars per month for my grandmother while she was here on a long term stay. And she had actually qualified for PR before Harper created the supervisa and just never ended up taking it up. And though it didn't really impact our family when the LPC changed the rules (my grandmother had already passed away in India), I know the rule change was a huge deal.

Personally, I think there should be a way to split the difference. No GIS. But maybe healthcare. No PR. But maybe some kind of visa that lasts up to the age of 7 for a grandchild.

When you moved from the UK, daycare wasn't their equivalent of a mortgage payment and it wasn't necessary for both parents to work. I don't agree with the LPC policy, but I certainly understand why new immigrants (who are often working harder than average) might want that family support.
More assumptions of what grandparents want. Had we been allowed to bring my grandparents to Canada there’s no way they would have signed up for the role of permanent childcare or family support. As an immigrant myself, I don’t plan on a future role where I’m the full time caregiver for my grandchildren. Of course life happens, families breakup, careers get derailed, etc. and we all step up for our families when circumstances require, and we also want to be important parts of our extended family’s lives so not to be lonely in our senior years. But full time child minder is not this immigrant’s dream for old age.

Last edited:
Yes, carbon tariffs! Trudeau should follow the EU example and enact a carbon on anything imported from outside of North America. Inflation will jump until things adjust, but also consumption of GHG-emitting crap from China may drop. It's in our purchasing of stuff not made in Canada where Canadians have have the greatest impact on climate change. For example, I hardly drive, I don't cook with gas (except for the BBQ a few times a year), etc., but I do buy clothes and electronics made in the 2nd and 3rd world, where the countries do not care about emissions.

Last edited:
I always wondered where all this Trudeau hate came from because he has literally done nothing to deserve it. If you have some issues with his policies, I get it. His government's policies on immigration, TFWs and other imports of labour have been extremely questionable.

But do I trust PP on this or literally anything? Hell no!

I've been shocked about the way some people have been saying we shouldn't be supporting Ukraine in the war that Russia started with them. But with the revelations of Russia/the KGB's interference in our elections it becomes very clear who benefits and why from NOT supporting Ukraine and why the extreme right has gone completely bonkers and all the Trudeau hate and the Russian propaganda machine at work is exposed.

To be honest with how inept Russia is in Ukraine, you wouldn't expect their propaganda machine to be as successful as it has been in both Canada and the US, pushing the far right agenda in Trump and Poilievre.

I for one am very concerned for our fundamental rights that have been hard-won in both countries.

More assumptions of what grandparents want. Had we been allowed to bring my grandparents to Canada there’s no way they would have signed up for the role of permanent childcare or family support. As an immigrant myself, I don’t plan on a future role where I’m the full time caregiver for my grandchildren. Of course life happens, families breakup, careers get derailed, etc. and we all step up for our families when circumstances require, and we also want to be important parts of our extended family’s lives so not to be lonely in our senior years. But full time child minder is not this immigrant’s dream for old age.
The benchmark for inter-generational roles and expectations varies by culture but, you're right - there's a world of people out there who are quite happy where they are.

I always wondered where all this Trudeau hate came from because he has literally done nothing to deserve it. If you have some issues with his policies, I get it. His government's policies on immigration, TFWs and other imports of labour have been extremely questionable.
Immigration policy. Housing policy (too little, too late). Other, more technical quibbles - HxR was pushed to his third term, his government waffles on military spending - these are not necessarily going to be better under Prime Minister Poilievre, but asking "why do you hate the person who shot you in the face?", the answer is obvious.

But do I trust PP on this or literally anything? Hell no!

I've been shocked about the way some people have been saying we shouldn't be supporting Ukraine in the war that Russia started with them. But with the revelations of Russia/the KGB's interference in our elections it becomes very clear who benefits and why from NOT supporting Ukraine and why the extreme right has gone completely bonkers and all the Trudeau hate and the Russian propaganda machine at work is exposed.

To be honest with how inept Russia is in Ukraine, you wouldn't expect their propaganda machine to be as successful as it has been in both Canada and the US, pushing the far right agenda in Trump and Poilievre.

I for one am very concerned for our fundamental rights that have been hard-won in both countries.
I haven't followed on what Canadian politicians say or do not say about Ukraine, but this is directly related to the sentiment of many: "Canada should work for Canadians."

A strong Ukraine is in the interest of Canada, but that's not how some people see it. And frankly, Ukraine is literally not on the ballot. CoL and housing are.

Immigration policy. Housing policy.
This! Plus broken promises of 2015 of a balanced budget by 2019 and electoral reform. A balanced budget by 2019 (AKA getting your house in order during good times in preparation for rainy days), would have prepared the nation financially to weather the Covid crisis. Why did Trudeau think that increasing immigration in excess of growth rate in housing and employment would be a good thing? Why would increasing TFWs (outside of seasonal agriculture) and foreign students to thus decrease both wages and work opportunities for Canadians, as well as making our economy more dependent on low skilled labour from the subcontinent instead of focusing on innovation and growing high skilled employment, be a good thing?

The LPC has three paths going into 2025, and only one has a chance of maintaining power.
  1. The Mother Wynne model. Premier Kathleen Wynne ignores, more than a year before the 2018 election that her personal unpopularity was tanking the OLP's chances, and stays to the end. Result: record loss: down from 55 seats to 7 seats.
  2. The Brian Mulroney model. Ignoring his record unpopularity, Mulroney waits until June 1993 to resign, a mere three months before Parliament was due to expire, throwing his replacement, the mostly unknown Kim Campbell straight over a glass cliff in the Oct 1993 election. Result: Record loss: down from 154 seats to 2 seats.
  3. The Democratic Party (US) Switcheroo: Biden is deeply unpopular, but he doesn't cancel his candidacy until after his opponent Trump has spent his powder and made his campaign entirely focused on Biden. Then, Biden drops out, putting the GOP campaign into disarray and resetting the narrative and vibe for potential voters, now making Trump seem like the extreme populist nutcase.
The third model, that of the early exit and new leader is the LPC's only chance. Yes, VP Harris has about the same amount of time that Kim Campbell had between drop to election, but Harris also has the benefit of hundreds of millions $$ in ad money and is not unknown to Americans. But these differences aside, the model works for the LPC. So, Jan 2025, Trudeau announces that he's not running in the next election, and the LPC (also unlike the Dems) has a quick convention and appoints a new champion. This champion MUST be able to hold current and former LPC voters, plus appeal to Bloc, NDP and soft-Con voters.

At this point, though, is there any difference between #2 and #3? The only difference is the election result, not the party's strategy.

A strong Ukraine is in the interest of Canada, but that's not how some people see it.
A defeated Ukraine means an invaded Poland, triggering Article 5 and the death of thousands of Canadian soldiers, sailors and pilots in the immediate term, possibly followed by conscription to replace them in the mid-term, and the risk of global extinction when things go nuclear. The only reason Canada (and everyone else) belongs to NATO is to deter and if necessary kill Russians. Ukraine is doing it for us at no risk to Canadian, US or European lives. That's money well spent. THIS is what I want to hear Trudeau say when challenged on Ukraine spending. Heck, I'd be okay with whatever lethal aid we've provided being counted towards our 2% NATO commitment.

Last edited:
Immigration policy. Housing policy (too little, too late). Other, more technical quibbles - HxR was pushed to his third term, his government waffles on military spending - these are not necessarily going to be better under Prime Minister Poilievre, but asking "why do you hate the person who shot you in the face?", the answer is obvious.
Trudeau didn't shoot them in the face. A global pandemic and conservative Premiers did.

A strong Ukraine is in the interest of Canada, but that's not how some people see it.
Thanks to russian propaganda.

The only thing that I think that most people agree is that the Liberals immigration policy has been terrible. So I'm not quite sure why he and the Party are so stuck on continuing this course. The only thing that makes sense is that the Liberals are so beholden to corporate interests and having low wage workers available is imperative for their donors that they can't do away with it. Or maybe they're afraid of deflating the housing market when there's too few people for all the housing that has been built in this housing boom.

Poilievre would be a disaster, there's no doubt about that. If JT and the Liberals don't really look hard at their immigration policy, then I don't see how they can turn things around.

I still have zero agreement with the opinion of some that he should be replaced. Biden was old, so it made sense for him to step down. But Trudeau had a lot of goodwill at the beginning, so the fact that the Russian propaganda has won out in the media for now should be tackled head on.

The only thing that I think that most people agree is that the Liberals immigration policy has been terrible. The only thing that makes sense is that the Liberals are so beholden to corporate interests and having low wage workers available is imperative for their donors that they can't do away with it.
No. As of January 1, 2007, corporations and trade unions are barred from making political contributions. Even private donations are limited to $3,300 per taxpayer (with no contribution exceeding $1,650 to either a federal political party, riding association, leadership candidate, or independent candidate). I think the shite immigration policy (or lack thereof) is due to incompetence rather than by design.

Back