News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think the way the dairy cartel gets broken in Canada is by disrupting the entire dairy industry.

Precision fermentation animal-free dairy is rapidly commercializing. Several companies claim cost parity with conventional dairy. Even if consumers take some time to be persuaded by animal-free dairy, dairy-based ingredients for food processors are a critical part of the dairy industry and precision fermentation is going to be making chemically identical drop-in substitutes for things like whey protein, casein, etc. Without this critical support for animal dairy industry, the economics begin to break down and the value of quota will collapse.

I think the way the dairy cartel gets broken in Canada is by disrupting the entire dairy industry.

Precision fermentation animal-free dairy is rapidly commercializing. Several companies claim cost parity with conventional dairy. Even if consumers take some time to be persuaded by animal-free dairy, dairy-based ingredients for food processors are a critical part of the dairy industry and precision fermentation is going to be making chemically identical drop-in substitutes for things like whey protein, casein, etc. Without this critical support for animal dairy industry, the economics begin to break down and the value of quota will collapse.

Much like your posts on autonomous/EV vehicles, I don't read "rapidly commercializing" in the attachment, let alone at some scale that will disrupt the market in the near-to-mid term. I don't know the spread of the market between dairy as inputs to processed food products vs. dairy (milk, cream, cheese, etc.) as end products in their own right.

Regardless, if the solution is to cut the knees out of a not-insignificant sector of the economy and not provide compensation to the players, it's not a good solution.

It doesn't matter if it's a good solution or not, it is a forcing function to break the status quo.

Here is a research report from about a year ago. It documents the number of companies formed and product launches by vertical for precision fermentation. There are whey protein products already on the market. Existence isn't the key factor. Once these inputs are meaningfully lower cost than animal based inputs, food processors will substitute as quickly as they can.

If they prevent this deal from happening I can foresee calls to abolish the Dairy cartel.

This is a major international trade agreement that could benefit Canada as a whole. Having the Dairy board stand in the way of it is sure to rub some people the wrong way.
Not gonna happen given the power of dairy and Agropur in Quebec and therefore Ottawa.

I grew up in a boarder town as we always got our dairy in the US. But it had a perceived lack of quality compared to the Canadian stuff, wonder if that has leveled out at all, or was a real thing at all.

When i was a kid, on our road trips home from the states, we always stopped at either Wegmans or Top's in Buffalo. My parents would fill the coolers up with jugs of cheap milk and dairy.

I remember mid 2000s. Our dollar was around equal to the US dollar. Canadians flocked to the US and bought up all the milk. I remember grocery stores in the Buffalo area had to limit he number of jugs of milk people could buy. Because the Canadians were hoarding all the milk.

Not gonna happen given the power of dairy and Agropur in Quebec and therefore Ottawa.
There are other problems with the proposed UK-Canada trade agreement. For example, Canada wants the UK to un-freeze the UK state pensions paid to people living in Canada, as they do with UK pensioners living in US and many other countries. Canada does not freeze Canadian pensions if you live in UK. See https://britishpensions.com/

Not the actual systematic election changes people have hoped for, perhaps symbolic of Trudeau's government:

While not a full-scale overhaul of the federal voting system as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau once promised, within the two-party confidence-and-supply agreement are a series of electoral reform proposals aimed at expanding "the ability for people to vote."

Specifically, the Liberals and New Democrats agreed to explore:

• Allowing an "expanded" three-day voting period during general elections;
  • Allowing voters to cast their ballots at any polling place within their riding; and
  • Improving the mail-in ballot process with both accessibility and maintaining integrity in mind.

Not the actual systematic election changes people have hoped for, perhaps symbolic of Trudeau's government:

Wow it's absolutely meaningless, and does nothing to address our awful selection of federal parties to vote for.

Shameful.

Wow it's absolutely meaningless, and does nothing to address our awful selection of federal parties to vote for.

Shameful.
It is certainly not a major reform (which is needed) but making it easier to vote is not 'meaningless'. It is a minority parliament that is on its last months, anything more complex would probably never pass and a major change really needs buy-in from all parties, even if nobody gets all they want.

It is certainly not a major reform (which is needed) but making it easier to vote is not 'meaningless'. It is a minority parliament that is on its last months, anything more complex would probably never pass and a major change really needs buy-in from all parties, even if nobody gets all they want.
I distinctly remember election reform being part of Trudeau's 2015 election platform, an election which he won with a majority.

I am pretty sure the LPC abandoned that promise with barely any fanfare at all (was it 2017?)

This smells like last-minute political pandering (to distract from spiraling housing and CoL costs?). It may bite them in the ass if voters remember what happened nearly a decade (!) ago.

Some of us remember her as a less than stellar TTC Chair....

Karen Stintz, the former city councillor and TTC chair, is seeking the Conservative nomination in Eglinton-Lawrence, hoping to help party leader Pierre Poilievre break the federal Liberals' stranglehold on Toronto seats.
Stintz confirmed in an interview that she will announce her bid for the nomination Monday.
"I thought I was out of politics, I thought I was done, but when Pierre got elected (leader), he inspired me," Stintz said in a midtown coffee shop. "I think he's an incredible communicator and I think he's able to give voice to the frustrations that people were feeling but couldn't articulate."

I distinctly remember election reform being part of Trudeau's 2015 election platform, an election which he won with a majority.

I am pretty sure the LPC abandoned that promise with barely any fanfare at all (was it 2017?)
Would have been nice if they had forced through the changes, but other parties were not on board, and they weren't at the burning bridges stage yet.

Shameful.
I'm not too sure how "shameful" fits into it. How we elect and who we elect are different. It might be considered a shame who is available on a local ballot to choose from, but that is not part of the electoral process and not within the power of the Government.

If what is being reported is accurate, it pretty thin soup in terms of 'electoral reform'. Voting isn't all that difficult, particularly with the number of advanced polls we have now. Expanded mail-in ballots might impact some, but I can't see the numbers as being significant.

I would hope that, if a 'three day poll' is implemented, there is legislation that manages poling, reporting, campaigning, etc. We have enough trouble now with the west coast feeling that their vote is less significant because eastern results are already being released while their polls are still open.

Stintz confirmed in an interview that she will announce her bid for the nomination Monday.
"I thought I was out of politics, I thought I was done, but when Pierre got elected (leader), he inspired me," Stintz said in a midtown coffee shop. "I think he's an incredible communicator and I think he's able to give voice to the frustrations that people were feeling but couldn't articulate."
What frustrations are those? That Bitcoin is a farce rather than the solution to our financial problems?

We have three million people in this city but the media is quick to cover any of the hundred or so who have held office before, however competently, because pulling a file out of the cabinet is more cost effective than putting reporters on researching new faces with fresh ideas. If she gains the nomination but doesn’t win, she will have tied down LPC canvassing resources from being sent to more winnable seats for the Tories, and that will be good enough for PP

Back