News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Watching this Rick Mercer report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdoLedAWWg&feature=share got me thinking about de-amalgamation again.

What are the pros/cons of splitting Toronto from Scarborough and Etobicoke? Something like gweed123's map last page. I'm more hesitant about North York as I feel North York is more integrated into Toronto and provides more for the city than the other two.

What makes you say that North York is more integrated? In respect to Etobicoke, is there not a difference between South Etobicoke and North Etobicoke? North Etobicoke I could see joining North York and Scarborough - basically the parts of the city that are north of the 401 from Etobicoke / North York / Scarborough

Watching this Rick Mercer report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdoLedAWWg&feature=share got me thinking about de-amalgamation again.

What are the pros/cons of splitting Toronto from Scarborough and Etobicoke? Something like gweed123's map last page. I'm more hesitant about North York as I feel North York is more integrated into Toronto and provides more for the city than the other two.
And this folks, is what gets Rob Ford elected.

Get off your high horse, you waste of oxygen.

Care to expand instead of resorting to insults?

What part of my post did you find appalling? Do you realize that I was bringing up discussion points to be discussed? Or are you just frustrated that in such a scenario, Humber Bay Shores would be a part of the new city of Etobicoke and elect a Ford-like mayor?

And this folks, is what gets Rob Ford elected.

Get off your high horse, you waste of oxygen.

How in the world does discussing ideas get Ford elected?

What's wrong with de-amalgamation? It's clearly not working for some folks, and if they feel that they can run their corner of the city better than city hall, then they should be allowed to do so. It's an idea that worked well up until the 80s-90s.

Regardless, there needs to be a better form of local representation. The boroughs idea is a great start.

What part of my post did you find appalling? Do you realize that I was bringing up discussion points to be discussed? Or are you just frustrated that in such a scenario, Humber Bay Shores would be a part of the new city of Etobicoke and elect a Ford-like mayor?

Don't bother.

Last edited:

I couldn't care less, but the 'North York offers more than the other two' comment is baiting for an attack. What are you expecting as a response?

I fully support deamalgamation. Things worked better around here when we didn't have to answer to a bunch of social lunatics in City Hall.

How in the world does discussing ideas get Ford elected?

What's wrong with de-amalgamation? It's clearly not working for some folks, and if they feel that they can run their corner of the city better than city hall, then they should be allowed to do so. It's an idea that worked well up until the 80s-90s.

Regardless, there needs to be a better form of local representation. The boroughs idea is a great start.

Don't bother.
Smart... Carry on.

'North York offers more than the other two' is certainly my own biased perception. If you feel that perception is incorrect, justify why so.

I think there's a lot of truth to it. North York is the most "urban" in urban form and the borders are less cut and dry. North York identity doesn't seem as strong as Scarborough or Etobicoke. Federal ridings have long crossed the Toronto/North York boundary and now that's true provincially and for city council wards, while Scarborough and Etobicoke boundaries have been kept in tact.

'North York offers more than the other two' is certainly my own biased perception. If you feel that perception is incorrect, justify why so.
Because North York overwhelmingly voted for Rob Ford and is as suburban as the other two?! Maybe that's it.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think there's a lot of truth to it. North York is the most "urban" in urban form and the borders are less cut and dry. North York identity doesn't seem as strong as Scarborough or Etobicoke. Federal ridings have long crossed the Toronto/North York boundary and now that's true provincially and for city council wards, while Scarborough and Etobicoke boundaries have been kept in tact.
1) It's not the most urban... A string of condos does not make an area urban. Most of North York looks like northern Etobicoke looks like most of Scarborough. I'd say the outliers are the streetcar villages in South Etobicoke.

2) Really? Tell that to former mayor Lastman.. Hahaha

3) Maybe that's because North York's borders vary wildly across the city... Etobicoke is clearly marked by the Humber River and Scarborough by Victoria Park.

Because North York overwhelmingly voted for Rob Ford and is as suburban as the other two?! Maybe that's it.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And this invalidates the statement 'North York offers more than the other two' how exactly?

In any case, having North York vs Downtown still makes for a better political reality than having North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough vs Downtown.

And this invalidates the statement 'North York offers more than the other two' how exactly?

In any case, having North York vs Downtown still makes for a better political reality than having North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough vs Downtown.

Well that won't happen so tough ****.

Please tell me what North York offers more than the other boroughs... If it's cul de sacs and vast industrial fields then we can say it offers as much as the other two.

Hmm, deamalgamation with or without the regional government and the reveunes from the commercial properties in the core that it implies?

Hmm, deamalgamation with or without the regional government and the reveunes from the commercial properties in the core that it implies?

It goes both ways.. Without the vast industrial/residential tax revenue in the former boroughs.

A regional government is a must for shared services.

It goes both ways.. Without the vast industrial/residential tax revenue in the former boroughs.

A regional government is a must for shared services.

I would be curious to see just how vast that industrial/residential tax base is, vis-a-vis revenues and expenditures rendered within said boundaries.

And why is regional government a "must", considering that we have the technology to track usage of services at any given locale?

Last edited:
I would be curious to see just how vast that industrial/residential tax base is, vis-a-vis revenues and expenditures rendered within said boundaries.

And why is regional government a "must", considering that we have the technology to track usage of services at any given locale?

Because that's why Metro Toronto existed in the first place. Duplicating fire, ambulance, police, transit over small municipalities intrinsically linked to each other is a waste of resources.

However, I don't want councillors from downtown telling my neighbourhood why we can't get better transit and infrastructure (delaying funding for the EA-approved Humber Loop relocation), etc.

Because that's why Metro Toronto existed in the first place. Duplicating fire, ambulance, police, transit over small municipalities intrinsically linked to each other is a waste of resources.

However, I don't want councillors from downtown telling my neighbourhood why we can't get better transit and infrastructure (delaying funding for the EA-approved Humber Loop relocation), etc.

Okay, which is why I ask the question - do we know how much each municipality is contributing to the regional pot, and how much they get back out of it? If you want the independence from councillors in downtown, then it is only fair that there is financial independence as well.

AoD

Back