News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I really hope Lakeview doesn't get another power plant. Mississauga has done its share for providing power to the GTA. It's York region's turn. Build one at VCC.

maybe that's what the subway's for - to deliver coal?

why don't they build some artificial mountain around it and poke a hole through the top to let the smoke out? somebody call the guys that made wonderland - we can have our very own volcano on the waterfront!! we can get the construction companies to dump crushed asphalt along the beaches and the base of our volcano, which will eventually turn into black sand, to add to the effect. some plastic palm trees and viola!

http://www.transgasenergysystems.com/.

The ditch is for the gas pipeline.

And here it is...

DSCN0711.jpg

It's already buried close to Unwin Bridge.

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

I assume they've been holding off on fixing this bridge until they install the pipeline?

DSCN0707.jpg

A couple more shots of the power plant:

DSCN0709.jpg

Not very sexy to say the least.

DSCN0708.jpg

And not too far away is our water treatment plant. Quite a stench coming from there this morning.

DSCN0710.jpg

The new stacks are ugly, though the building isn't completed yet. I think it will be quite a bit tidier when it's done. I always found the old stacks to be quite beautiful, especially at Hearn. I'd be sad to see it go.

what are they doing to the unwin bridge?

That Bailey Bridge has got to be fifty years old, and they're surely not designed to last that long. I'm sure that they're going to be replacing it with a permanent structure with multiple lanes. The current single-lane, weight-restricted structure is a safety hazard in an urban setting.

That Bailey Bridge has got to be fifty years old, and they're surely not designed to last that long. I'm sure that they're going to be replacing it with a permanent structure with multiple lanes. The current single-lane, weight-restricted structure is a safety hazard in an urban setting.

when's the completion date?

I've gone back and read through this whole thread.

It's quite a sad commentary on the decision makers in this city and this province.

This area between the beaches and downtown HAD so much potential.

And I bet most citizens (including myself) had no idea what was going on here.

I, like casaguy, just went through and read this thread. I saw the stacks going up in mid August from my place and thought "what the hell" then came across this thread tonight. What an eyesore. I had foolishly hoped we'd see that whole area redeveloped in coming years with boring bike/blade paths, boring greenspace and boring shiney, glass condos. :rolleyes:

New waterfront complex just plain ugly

The massive waterfront Portlands Energy Centre is incompatible with plans for a new community

Oct 26, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs Writer

Welcome to Toronto's beautiful new revitalized waterfront!

Complete with parks, public transit and housing for 100,000, it is an urban dream, a veritable city of the future. Designed by some of the world's leading architects and landscape architects, these new communities will be sustainable, accessible and fully integrated, cosmopolitan even.

But wait, what's that monstrous, multi-smokestacked industrial complex now under construction on Unwin Ave. in the heart of the docklands?

Oh, yes, that would be the Portlands Energy Centre, Premier Dalton McGuinty's little gift to Toronto. Well, actually, it's not so little. In fact, it's a vast and obnoxious, misplaced and inappropriate project that will seriously damage plans for waterfront regeneration in Toronto.

Of course, McGuinty meant well; he always means well. But, sadly, we don't live in a perfect world, and there's only so much the poor man can do.

Too bad, then, that so much of what he does manage to do is so wrong-headed. Certainly, the energy centre is about as wrong-headed as a premier could get. It even flies in the face of his own government's efforts to revitalize the waterfront, to make it a model 21st century community for Canada and the world.

To see how wrong, just look at the proposals for the Portlands, all of them chosen through international design competitions, with the energy centre.

Notice the compact waterfront neighbourhood organized around green space, the mixed uses and community focus.

Somehow that vision just isn't compatible with the 550-megawatt energy centre, with its four enormous chimneys and mega-scale. The operator, Ontario Power Generation, argues that the site has always been industrial and that the scheme is in harmony with revitalization. Berms will be built, OPG says, 3,000 trees planted and noise-abatement and emission control equipment installed. OPG also claims the station will be "isolated from residential communities and is expected to have no discernible impacts."

This is hard to believe, no, make that impossible. No doubt an attempt will be made to minimize the effects of the station, but they can't be eliminated.

Above all, because it sits on the south side of the shipping channel at the east end, its presence nullifies what might have been one of the most attractive neighbourhoods on the waterfront.

"The big issue here is potential," says architect and waterfront consultant Michael Kirkland. "The shipping channel is one of the great undeveloped waterfront features in the world. It could be one of Toronto's finest civic assets. One could imagine it as a district of public amenities and close-quartered residential development."

As much as anything, the advent of the energy centre highlights the failure of the waterfront regeneration process. Though the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. (now Waterfront Toronto) was created by the three levels of government back in 2000, it's clear at least one partner remains uninterested in allowing it to fulfill its mandate.

As long as the demands of expediency are allowed to prevail and there's empty space in the docklands, decisions like McGuinty's will continue to be made. This is the Ontario way: short-term gain for long-term pain. To add insult to injury, it could have been put elsewhere – say, east of Leslie St., by the sewage plant.

The waterfront remake will carry on, but bit by bit, it has already been diminished. In addition to the energy centre we have let the foot of Yonge St. fall into developers' hands for a condo, approved a mundane corporate headquarters for the bottom of Jarvis St., and now there's a scheme to build a Wal-Mart with a 2,000-car parking lot in Leslieville.

This is not how great cities are built; it's how they are destroyed.

David Miller should have made so much more noise about this. I'm beginning to see how David Miller will have to be the guy who puts all infrastructure in place to make us a great city, but he'll be unable to carry Toronto there.

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to repeat this, but the site is hardly the "Heart of the docklands." The city and TWRC plan designates the entire surrounding area as a "campus" for cement factories. That's what they call it in the plans. The Concrete Campus.

The Star: New waterfront complex just plain ugly

I hadn't heard about the Wal-mart. Tragic. I know Hume's unhappy about most everything, but I'm on board the indignation train with him here.

Back