News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

So sad they had to put this eyesore here at this location.

Pics taken this week.

DSCN2441.jpg

DSCN2442.jpg

I used to be furious about the province putting this here against the wishes of the city and WaterfronToronto.

The more I think about it now though... the Portlands are an industrial wasteland that won't be turned into the gleaming waterfront community envisioned by planners for at least a decade.

By then, we'll have to have solved our energy crisis and this will be removed no doubt.

They could have at least made it blue, to blend in with the sky... or green to blend in with grass and trees.

If we're going to have a power station on our waterfront, I want better!

London had it right:

800px-Battersea_Powerstation_-_Across_Thames_-_London_-_020504.jpg

it looks soo nice it makes you wanna use electricity. ;)

I used to be furious about the province putting this here against the wishes of the city and WaterfronToronto.

Actually, the city approved the plant after getting some concessions about public access and sound dampening. Waterfront Toronto signed-off of the power plant when Robert Fung was chairman. WT never opposed the plant.

Some pics I took earlier today while on a bike ride of Ontario's newest power plant - ensuring Torontonians can continue to live in limitless air-conditioned bliss all summer long:

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

Bonus: an image I took of one of the many new concrete plans currently under constuction at the portlands concrete campus (this one will be operated by St. Mary's Cement):

DSCN0154.jpg

It'd be incredibly cool if they planted vines to cover up those ghastly blank walls... since their first attempt to break up the facade with OCAD-esque randomly placed windows has failed miserably.

That's a great idea, 299. I wish they had made some better effort to beautify the project. That would have taken so much of the wind out of the opponents' sails. There are examples.

A mural might be another option. Get a real talented artist to do it, and maybe the wall of that power plant will be worth as much as that Pittsburgh subway station mural someday.

It'd be incredibly cool if they planted vines to cover up those ghastly blank walls... since their first attempt to break up the facade with OCAD-esque randomly placed windows has failed miserably.

What's worse is they light that tragedy up at night. I can see the robins egg siding without my glasses on, and I live a good 5km away from it.

That's a great idea, 299. I wish they had made some better effort to beautify the project. That would have taken so much of the wind out of the opponents' sails. There are examples.

A mural might be another option. Get a real talented artist to do it, and maybe the wall of that power plant will be worth as much as that Pittsburgh subway station mural someday.

Wow.. thanks for that unimaginative:

index_shot.png

Building the facility just below ground and planting a park above makes so much sense for a building of this nature going near a major city.

I would go as far as to use the above ground portion as a wind farm. Add a couple of wind turbines on top to power the station rather than using power from the grid.

I totally agree with you. It'd be long term thinking for a power plant in an industrial area (the city's cement campus), so the park wouldn't be that well used at first, but in a few decades when the portlands is built out it could be quite popular.

When they said an evolving live-work neighbourhood, they really meant work in a big way.

Back