News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A lot of this debate comes down to whether teaching should be viewed as a job or profession.

You count minutes with jobs. Like 30 mins for lunch. You don’t do that for professionals. It’s why they are salaried. They aren't to be nickel and dimed as employees. And they don't nickel and dime their employers. You give professionals outcomes you want. And they deliver.

I like to think of teaching as a profession. But there's a lot of the public that see it as a job. And that's part of the problem. The other part is that teachers see extra-curricular activities and homework help as "extras". But that's only true if teaching is a job. If teaching is your calling and a profession, then those ECs are part of your mission as an educator.

Doug Ford is part of a long tradition of politicians who attack professions. But teachers aren't going to help themselves if they start accounting for things as though teaching is just glorified babysitting.

A lot of this debate comes down to whether teaching should be viewed as a job or profession.

You count minutes with jobs. Like 30 mins for lunch. You don’t do that for professionals. It’s why they are salaried. They aren't to be nickel and dimed as employees. And they don't nickel and dime their employers. You give professionals outcomes you want. And they deliver.

I like to think of teaching as a profession. But there's a lot of the public that see it as a job. And that's part of the problem. The other part is that teachers see extra-curricular activities and homework help as "extras". But that's only true if teaching is a job. If teaching is your calling and a profession, then those ECs are part of your mission as an educator.

Doug Ford is part of a long tradition of politicians who attack professions. But teachers aren't going to help themselves if they start accounting for things as though teaching is just glorified babysitting.
I think teachers lost the respect of belonging to profession when they unionized and went on strike in the 70's.

Hmmm, cancel 3 post secondary projects but go ahead with this one. https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toron...g-a-brand-new-dollar22-million-college-campus
Just like the Université de l'Ontario Français, which received provincial endorsement over the summer as well, I am sure this one just slipped through the cracks.

What is interesting is that the above UOF is targeting a site along Queens Quay East. Potential for a Francophone hub to form in this part of the city?

I think teachers lost the respect of belonging to profession when they unionized and went on strike in the 70's.
I think ___________[insert unionized group here] lost the respect of belonging to profession when they unionized and went on strike in ________________[insert arbitrary date in the distant past].

Seriously; they "lost your respect" because you had none to begin with for them.

WestJet pilots nearly went on strike this year. When my father retired from Air Canada as a longtime Captain, he was making more than $175,000 a year. His pension is well over $100,000 annually. He got massive discounts on hotels and car rentals, and due to agreements with other airlines, tickets on just about any carrier for less than 1/4 of the list price. That was in addition to a whole bunch of free standby passes. Seems like a lot of entitlement to gripe about with a strike, huh?

Except when you realize that starting pay now is around $40,000 a year for pilots, and that they are often required to work 18 hour days; 4-5 days a week; often deadhead flights to get to their departure airport; have to adapt to local timezones, and have lost many of the benefits once afforded to pilots (like the aforementioned discounts and massive pension). Second Officers (the guys who regularly manned engines and other controls) are almost entirely gone from the industry, with the exception of long-haul flights as relief. Their duties have been shifted to Captains and First Officers. Smaller airlines require pilots to even work the aisles and help load luggage.

Sometimes, people may strike for reasons you may not be able to comprehend without doing a modicum of actual research. You might want to in the future.

The newly announced updates to the Canada Labour Code would impact workers in federally-regulated sectors like airlines, telecommunications, trucking, and banks, which employ around 900,000 people across the country.

Ottawa rolls out new worker protections, blasts Ontario’s ‘politics of cruelty’

See link.

The federal government has introduced new legislation to protect vulnerable workers including three paid emergency leave days, scheduling rights, equal pay for temps and casual workers, and measures to prevent contract flipping — as Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives move to repeal similar protections in Ontario.

Making the announcement at George Brown College to a room of union leaders and young workers Thursday, federal employment minister Patty Hajdu blasted the provincial changes as the “politics of cruelty,” and called it “devastating to watch really fundamental protections be rolled back.”

The vast majority of employees in Ontario rely on provincial employment laws for their rights on the job, but the federal measures are of particular significance for workers at Pearson International Airport — who have long demanded protection against contract flipping and called for a federally mandated minimum wage.

Premier unveils ‘open for business’ signs as Ontario’s unemployment rate remains low

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...s-ontarios-unemployment-rate-remains-low.html

Costs the People of Ontario $106.700 to let those driving from the U.S. know that Ontario is a commercial entity. Apparently the Province was closed. Considering we've had the lowest unemployment rate in a generation, we were too busy working to realize it. Will these signs be included in the line-by-line audit the PCs are doing?

Premier unveils ‘open for business’ signs as Ontario’s unemployment rate remains low

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...s-ontarios-unemployment-rate-remains-low.html

Costs the People of Ontario $106.700 to let those driving from the U.S. know that Ontario is a commercial entity. Apparently the Province was closed. Considering we've had the lowest unemployment rate in a generation, we were too busy working to realize it. Will these signs be included in the line-by-line audit the PCs are doing?
I wonder who got the sign printing contract.

Mike Crawley @CBCQueensPark
now
It’s been 24 hrs since veteran ⁦@mppjimwilson⁩ resigned from cabinet & PC caucus to seek treatment for addiction issues. I have seen only 1 tweet of sympathy, compassion or thanks from his 20 cabinet colleagues: this one, from ⁦@MacLeodLisa⁩. Nothing from Premier Ford

Why so silent? I remember when elected officials took leave for mental health or addictions issues in the past and people from every party issued public support. Remember when Hunter Tootoo quit the Liberal caucus?

Last edited:

Back