News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Doug also isn't a sitting MPP, so that further disqualifies him. It also means that Caroline Mulroney can't be leader.

Doug also isn't a sitting MPP, so that further disqualifies him. It also means that Caroline Mulroney can't be leader.
I agree it will most likely be an MPP. However my read on the pc constitution is if the caucas declines to appoint one of their own it kicks to the caucus + executive to choose, which could be anyone.

That makes sense.

A friend on Twitter strongly believes that if Doug does run for mayor, he won't get near the support that Rob did. His thought was in the 15% range, with a bunch of people deciding that Tory might not be so bad after all. Do you agree with this? I think that he has a solid 25% support base who vote for a Ford no matter what.

That makes sense.

A friend on Twitter strongly believes that if Doug does run for mayor, he won't get near the support that Rob did. His thought was in the 15% range, with a bunch of people deciding that Tory might not be so bad after all. Do you agree with this? I think that he has a solid 25% support base who vote for a Ford no matter what.
My guess is populist candidates are in the 20-25% range. Assuming Ford makes it onto the ballot, Tory doesn't Brown his pants and no other neocon/populist runs I'm assuming a 25-30% vote for DoFo.

That makes sense.

As per my past thoughts, it might also depend if there's a disarmingly suburban-populist-friendly *left* candidate to steal DoFo's thunder. After all, DoFo's best landslide turf tends to be ethnoburban/underclass zones which tend to otherwise be barren or below-average Conservative territory...

Isn't Thugg-O already plenty unpopular with the PC leadership? And surely they'd want a team player to ride out the current unpleasantness, not a shameless self-promoter and hard-to-control loose cannon like Doug?

Edited to add: Did I say "hard" to control? Make that impossible to control. We often forget that not only was Blob the 'popular' one of the two, in many ways he was also the more reasonable of the pair as well, his rampant imbecility notwithstanding.

The party executive may not want him, but Brown proved how easy it is to hijack the membership. It looks like the party is heading to a snap one-member-one vote election.

If Ford wants to run he'll be on the ballot - biggest saving grace is he won't have six months to sign up single-issue members.

The party executive may not want him, but Brown proved how easy it is to hijack the membership. It looks like the party is heading to a snap one-member-one vote election.
If Ford wants to run he'll be on the ballot - biggest saving grace is he won't have six months to sign up single-issue members.

But Brown's new signups might also be most amenable to him as leader.

AoD

I read or heard somewhere (wouldn't it be great if I could remember which and where?) that in the case of a leadership race there would be no window for acceptance of new memberships in terms of voting eligibility in the leadership race.

I read or heard somewhere (wouldn't it be great if I could remember which and where?) that in the case of a leadership race there would be no window for acceptance of new memberships in terms of voting eligibility in the leadership race.
Since they need a permanent leader ASAP they probably have no time for a 'sign-up' period (or at least a long one). Do their memberships all expire at the end of a calendar year? If so they will probably lose lots who forget to (or refuse to) renew.

Not only do they not have time for a prolonged period of signing up new members, they have explicitly said that any new members would not be eligible to vote in the leadership race. Ok, I think I read about this in yesterday's Globe and Mail.

Back