News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Because raising taxes is political suicide these days?

This really should not be an excuse. Governments should raise revenue to pay for the programs they want. The Keynesian defence is abused far too much. When John Maynard Keynes proposed deficit spending to smooth through the business cycle, they weren't meant to be structural.

Moreover, the longstanding argument for deficits were that they were to be invested in projects that boost productivity in the short to medium term, allowing for a much more competitive economy coming out of a recession. Liberals at both the provincial and federal level have twisted this wisdom to argue that deficit spending on social programs which will deliver results in 20 years fits this understanding. That stretches credulity.

The general public has zero sense of what tax money goes for and does, and how combined a societal resource pool lifts all boats.

The public has no clue about a lot of things. That doesn't exempt governments from their obligation to act reasonably and responsibly.

It kills me most that the loudest cries seem to come from the GTA suburbs. Our taxes support the massive inefficiency of suburban sprawl, and yet those who benefit most from it complain the loudest about spending on others.

Again. Policy driven. The same government that slapped on the Places to Grow Act (good), also refused to let Toronto put on tolls on the Gardiner which would have put on more visible prices to sprawl (bad).

To those who consider Doug Ford an alleged "businessman". Here's his Wikipedia "business career" from this link:
In the 1990s, Ford became involved in the running of Deco Labels and Tags, a business co-founded by his father in 1962. The company makes pressure-sensitive labels for plastic-wrapped grocery products. Doug Jr. became president of the company in 2002, and was responsible for the company's expansion into Chicago.Nearing his death, his father divided up the company, leaving 40% to Doug Jr., 40% to Randy and 20% to Rob. In 2008, Doug Jr. launched the purchase of Wise Tag and Label in New Jersey and fired Wise Tag's manager. Former Deco employees suggest that the company was well-managed under Doug Jr., and that he was well-liked in Chicago, but that the company declined under Randy's leadership after Doug Jr. entered politics in 2010. As of 2011, Ford and his mother were directors of the company, managed by his brother Randy.

Compare with John Tory's "business career" from this link:
From 1972 to 1979, Tory was hired by family friend Ted Rogers as a journalist for Rogers Broadcasting's Toronto radio stations CFTR and CHFI. From 1980 to 1981, and later from 1986 to 1995, Tory held various positions at Tory, Tory, DesLauriers & Binnington including partner, managing partner, and member of the Executive Committee.

From 1981 to 1985, Tory served in the office of the Premier of Ontario, Bill Davis as principal secretary to the Premier and associate secretary of the cabinet. After Davis retired as premier in 1985, Tory joined the office of the Canadian Special Envoy on Acid Rain, as special advisor. The special envoy had been appointed by the federal government of Brian Mulroney to review matters of air quality with a United States counterpart. Tory supported Dianne Cunningham's bid to lead the provincial Progressive Conservative Party in 1990.

Tory later served as tour director and campaign chairman to then Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, and managed the 1993 federal election campaign of Mulroney's successor, Kim Campbell. In his role as the Progressive Conservative campaign co-manager that year, he authorized two infamous campaign ads that ridiculed Liberal candidate Jean Chretien's face, which is partially paralyzed due to a childhood disease. The ads were greeted with much outcry among the Canadian public. They were withdrawn 10 days after their first airings, and the Progressive Conservatives would proceed to be decimated in the federal election.

From 1995 to 1999, he returned to Rogers Communications Inc., but this time as president and CEO of Rogers Media which had become one of Canada's largest publishing and broadcasting companies. Rogers has interests in radio and television stations, internet, specialty television channels, consumer magazines, trade magazines and, at the time, the Toronto Sun and the Sun newspaper chain.

In 1999, he became president and CEO of Rogers subsidiary Rogers Cable, which he led through a period of transition from a monopoly environment to an open marketplace, overseeing a significant increase in operating income. Tory stepped down after Ted Rogers announced that he would stay on as president and CEO of parent company Rogers Communications. He served as the ninth commissioner of the Canadian Football League from 1996 to 2000.

Tory continued to have an interest in being a broadcaster throughout his life and, as a Rogers executive, hosted a public affairs program on Rogers Cable's community access channel for many years. He sat as a board member of Metro Inc., the Quebec-based parent corporation for Metro and Food Basics grocery stores.

Which one is the more "successful" "Progressive" Conservative businessman, Ford or Tory?

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY what I want to see in my elected officials--temper tantrums between conservative leaders and lots and lots of trolling...

NEW: Premier Doug Ford: "If John Tory spent as much time going through the city’s finances as he does worrying about the colour of the Toronto sign, he would be able to find some efficiencies and deliver some value for taxpayers’ dollars."

Last edited:
Under Mayor Ford and Councillor Ford, they figured that fighting fires was unimportant and should get their budget cut.

Fire station closes, 4 trucks taken out of service amid budget cuts

See link.

Remember that with the current fire at York Memorial C.I.

My comments are prefaced by the acknowledgement that I know nothing about the deployment of fire assets, but closing a station that has three other stations within 2km doesn't seem like the end of the world, and pulling individual apparatus' out of other stations is difficult to assess without knowledge of things like overall deployment, equipment mixture, response times, etc.

Everyone wants police or fire on their street until they don't.

Flying the National Flag in distress is highly inappropriate. If you want to make a statement, use the city or departmental flag.

My comments are prefaced by the acknowledgement that I know nothing about the deployment of fire assets, but closing a station that has three other stations within 2km doesn't seem like the end of the world, and pulling individual apparatus' out of other stations is difficult to assess without knowledge of things like overall deployment, equipment mixture, response times, etc.

Everyone wants police or fire on their street until they don't.

Flying the National Flag in distress is highly inappropriate. If you want to make a statement, use the city or departmental flag.

As more and more infill buildings and highrises pop up, more and more fire stations will be needed.

As more and more infill buildings and highrises pop up, more and more fire stations will be needed.
I am not sure that this reasoning holds true. The secret is to have fire stations properly distributed and properly equipped (with both firefighters and trucks etc). Of course, fire stations are important but firefighters spend a huge part of their time waiting to respond - when they get a call they need to get to it quickly.

This shouldn't be true, in as much as the new buildings should be considerably more fire resistant and have automated sprinklers/fire suppression systems.

At this point, we already have a situation where the majority of fire department response is medical calls.

I wouldn't support 'cuts' to Toronto Fire at this point; but I would be inclined to prioritize investment in making older buildings safer through fire proofing/resistance and fire suppression technology.

Every school/hospital/seniors residence and multi-res building should have fire suppression.

Frankly there's an intelligent argument for every business and single-family home too.

Back