News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I wouldn't discount Ford as a threat this earlier on (especially once the robocalls/propaganda/eternal media spotlighting starts ramping up) - considering that many polls were wrong south of the border.

Especially if a progressive with name-brand recognition enters the fray; that's the scenario that's keeping me up at night.

I think if you care about this city doing well and actually advancing, what you're hoping for is Tory annihilating Ford this time around, deciding he's had his fix of elected office after his next term (and deciding early on in his next term that that's the case), and Ford finally deciding that he can't win enough downtown/sane votes to ever be elected mayor and never trying again.

Hopefully, by the 2020s, some legitimately progressive sort who can galvanize a sufficiently diverse coalition emerges and she or he winds up being the next post-Tory mayor.

Wonder if Doug Ford still doesn't know who Margaret Atwood is?

See old story, at this link:

Doug Ford blasts Margaret Atwood over libraries, says ‘I don’t even know her’

Councillor Doug Ford criticized author Margaret Atwood's defence of Toronto libraries, saying she should get elected if she wants to sound off.
And today's story, at this link:

The Handmaid’s Tale cleans up at Emmy Awards

Hulu series, shot in Toronto and Hamilton and based on Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel, wins five awards. Saturday Night Live another major winner after year of skewering U.S. president​

Especially if a progressive with name-brand recognition enters the fray; that's the scenario that's keeping me up at night.

I think if you care about this city doing well and actually advancing, what you're hoping for is Tory annihilating Ford this time around, deciding he's had his fix of elected office after his next term (and deciding early on in his next term that that's the case), and Ford finally deciding that he can't win enough downtown/sane votes to ever be elected mayor and never trying again.

Hopefully, by the 2020s, some legitimately progressive sort who can galvanize a sufficiently diverse coalition emerges and she or he winds up being the next post-Tory mayor.
Tory has always said he'll be a two-termer. He ain't getting any younger and he knows that saying he's off the ballot in 2022 will keep challengers away in 2018.

There's a semi-nightmare scenario where Tory ekes out a win in 2018, which convinces DoFo to stick around for a third try.

There's a semi-nightmare scenario where Tory ekes out a win in 2018, which convinces DoFo to stick around for a third try.

Exactly, and I of course wonder how Ford himself would classify "ekes out" -- what's the margin of defeat he has to suffer to be convinced that he's never going to be Mayor of Toronto? I bet it's wider than we might think/hope.

Exactly, and I of course wonder how Ford himself would classify "ekes out" -- what's the margin of defeat he has to suffer to be convinced that he's never going to be Mayor of Toronto? I bet it's wider than we might think/hope.

Doug, or some family member, won't stop running for mayor or to be a councillor. They just can't help themselves!

I wouldn't discount Ford as a threat this earlier on (especially once the robocalls/propaganda/eternal media spotlighting starts ramping up) - considering that many polls were wrong south of the border.

Well this is Toronto and not south of the border. The polls showed Hilary winning the popular vote which she did, she just lost the electoral college. Last I checked there's no electoral college to help him win.

Doug, or some family member, won't stop running for mayor or to be a councillor. They just can't help themselves!
I think they're grooming Mikey to be ready after Tory retires. Doug will try to keep their name in the news until then. Lucky us.

I think they're grooming Mikey to be ready after Tory retires. Doug will try to keep their name in the news until then. Lucky us.
Mikey will be a councillor for life. It’s inconceivable that he could handle a run for mayor or a provincial seat (unless there was a landslide in the offing).

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 1.23.57 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 1.23.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 1.23.57 PM.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 471

Back