News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Unlike most folks here, I'm a moderate swing voter. If a Conservative leader proposes eliminating the CBC, they lose my vote automatically.

I've always said that Torontonians have no real clue about the rest of Canada. Heck, most don't understand the rest of Ontario. Posts like these prove it. The CBC is very much valued in most of the country. The more rural, the more French or Indigenous, the more valued it is. You also clearly don't speak French. So you have no idea how valued and popular some of the French content is. Ask Quebecers about Tout le monde en parle.

And quite frankly, having lived in the US through the 2016 and 2018 elections, I've come to appreciate the value of our national broadcaster a whole lot more. I have zero doubt that if CBC didn't exist, CTV and Global would devolve to become northern versions of NBC and CBS. Global might actually end up like Fox.
Whatever issues with cbc in general I do value the fact they give out free news online and it is not overly sensational and pretty decently moderate and balanced.

Nearly 200,000 people sign petition slamming Ontario's 'shameful' back-to-school plan

Monday, August 10, 2020

An online petition slamming Ontario's "disturbing" back-to-school plan has gained nearly 200,000 signatures but the government still won’t budge on reducing elementary class sizes this September.

Late last month, the provincial government released its back-to-school plan, which includes elementary students returning to the classroom full-time with regular class sizes.

Students will be with one cohort for the full day and enhanced health and safety protocols will be put in place.

"The Ontario government's 'plan' for reopening schools essentially amounts, in most elementary and middle school grades, to sending 30 students and a teacher back into a room for 6 hours/day with poor to no ventilation and probably only enough space for 30 cm of distancing between desks,” an online petition, titled "Ontario Demands Better: Reduce Class Sizes to Keep Schools and Communities Safe," reads.

"This is shameful and demonstrates a reckless and disturbing lack of care for the health and safety of our children, teachers, school staff, and communities."

"We have evidence from countries and regions that went back to school in the spring to show that it can be done safely, without a surge in cases. The evidence suggests that the way to do this (along with other measures) is small class sizes."

Let's not imagine phys-ed classes and recesses (including the lunch break), especially on days with inclement weather.

Games like tag, dodgeball, and Octopus (similar to Britsh Bulldog) would allow COVID-19 to spread, especially in gyms, and I'm not mentioning traditional sports yet.

To be fair, we need to be careful about looking at this through an American lens. I suspect that people are thinking that schools reopening is going to turn into a full blown American Covid crisis. I trust our health professionals to do alright. And our schools are better resourced than the US.

If it was me, I'd argue that K-5 go back and take up every classroom available in small groups. 6-12 fully online at home. Emergency hire to make every available substitute teacher full time. Hire old retired teachers to run the online classes.

Unsure how the plan is disturbing
As
1.Wasn't this approved by health experts
2. this is already way more strict then bc and Alberta plans?
3. Plus don't parents have a choice to keep kids home ?

Like the plan is bc is less strict and I don't hear much blowback as much.

I do agree they should reduce the class sizes though in the short term. I think if that was fixed most concern would be gone.

Unsure how the plan is disturbing
As
1.Wasn't this approved by health experts
2. this is already way more strict then bc and Alberta plans?
3. Plus don't parents have a choice to keep kids home ?

Like the plan is bc is less strict and I don't hear much blowback as much.

I do agree they should reduce the class sizes though in the short term. I think if that was fixed most concern would be gone.

You got the last part right..............class size is the biggest outstanding issue.

Your #1 is simply wrong.

A plan was commissioned...........the people who wrote said plan, ie. the President of Sick Kids, says the government is not following it, and class sizes are too large.

As for BC, first, its a completely different plan; second, BC has almost 2/3 fewer active cases of Covid (at 3.7/100,000 vs Ontario at 9.3/100,000) that gives them a lot more wiggle room, both in epidemiological reality and in risk perception.

There's no accounting for Alberta, never will be.......LOL

Last edited:
To be fair, we need to be careful about looking at this through an American lens. I suspect that people are thinking that schools reopening is going to turn into a full blown American Covid crisis. I trust our health professionals to do alright. And our schools are better resourced than the US.

If it was me, I'd argue that K-5 go back and take up every classroom available in small groups. 6-12 fully online at home. Emergency hire to make every available substitute teacher full time. Hire old retired teachers to run the online classes.

It doesn't take much - Israel was doing very well, better than us even until they opened the schools up.

AoD

It doesn't take much - Israel was doing very well, better than us even until they opened the schools up.

AoD
Part of the issue there is the crowding of classrooms. We think 30 is big here. Israeli schools can have 40 kids packed into 50 square metres. That's in addition to the public school system having boarding schools, which means they're around each other 24/7.

Bibi's an idiot just as much as Trump, btw...

(From June 3rd)
'It's an abrupt reversal of the post-pandemic spirit in Israel as officials lifted most remaining coronavirus restrictions last week. With fewer than 300 deaths in Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had declared victory in early May over the pandemic and last week told Israelis to go to restaurants and "enjoy yourselves."'
[…]​
'Schools first began to reopen in early May, with classes staggered in smaller groups or "capsules" of students to prevent a wide outbreak. By May 17, limitations on class size were lifted.'

Problem is parents are eager for someone else to watch their kids while they are stuck working from home.
If they can't send them to school they'll be livid.
A number of parents in my group are choosing to keep their kids home. They are setting up learning pods. The ones who are sending their kids to school appreciate it and are hoping that class sizes will be reduced if some kids don't return to class.

Nearly 200,000 people sign petition slamming Ontario's 'shameful' back-to-school plan

Monday, August 10, 2020

An online petition slamming Ontario's "disturbing" back-to-school plan has gained nearly 200,000 signatures but the government still won’t budge on reducing elementary class sizes this September.

Late last month, the provincial government released its back-to-school plan, which includes elementary students returning to the classroom full-time with regular class sizes.

Students will be with one cohort for the full day and enhanced health and safety protocols will be put in place.

"The Ontario government's 'plan' for reopening schools essentially amounts, in most elementary and middle school grades, to sending 30 students and a teacher back into a room for 6 hours/day with poor to no ventilation and probably only enough space for 30 cm of distancing between desks,” an online petition, titled "Ontario Demands Better: Reduce Class Sizes to Keep Schools and Communities Safe," reads.

"This is shameful and demonstrates a reckless and disturbing lack of care for the health and safety of our children, teachers, school staff, and communities."

"We have evidence from countries and regions that went back to school in the spring to show that it can be done safely, without a surge in cases. The evidence suggests that the way to do this (along with other measures) is small class sizes."

Will Doug Ford slam those 200,000+ as a "bunch of yahoos", if they aren't "yesmen" or "yeswomen" and don't agree with him?

Problem is parents are eager for someone else to watch their kids while they are stuck working from home.
If they can't send them to school they'll be livid.
The mental health of children is a major concern. Our 7-year old daughter has really struggled with anxiety, outbursts of anger, anti-sociality, even minor self-harm since this all started. We've talked with doctors, have (literally) free access to professors of psychology and have done anything and everything we can. If all were fine with her, I'd happily say she could stay home. The longer this goes on however, the worse she's gotten, and the more she's declined. Even if it's a minor degree of normalcy that means wearing a mask all day long and keeping distant from others, being at school is still something that can ground her.

Ford's plan sucks. But there's still time to make it better and safer. His term so far has proven he is the king of backing down, after all. But superficial comparisons to what other countries have done isn't fair when a little scrutiny is applied.

Last edited:

Back