News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

While I am not in the business of endorsing Ford government policies......... I have to say they have an initiative out today that is both good policy and good politics.

The automatic renewal of license plates. You not only don't have to go Service Ontario, you don't even have to file online. As long as you're fines/tolls are paid and insurance up to date, you're good.

From the above:

View attachment 575711
Especially since they removed the fees, this is the next logical step. Though, the removal of those fees I would still consider a bad policy.

Especially since they removed the fees, this is the next logical step. Though, the removal of those fees I would still consider a bad policy.

I would essentially agree, though my issues w/it are both the forgone revenue (when we have any number of areas needing funds and are running a deficit); and the removal in theory of something that might disincent car ownership.

But..... I have to say, I would prefer the revenue differently captured from plate renewal for a few reasons.

1) The fee is regressive (a fixed price that is the same if you're poor, lower-middle income, middle income, upper middle or wealthy.)

2) The fee applies after you've already bought the car, so it comes off more as an annual penalty than disincenting the purchase,

3) The fee doesn't vary based on pollution produced or vehicle size (for the average personal use)

4) There is no disincentive to use. You pay the same if the vehicle is only used for weekend groceries, as if you use it for commuting.

All of which is to say, I would have preferred road tolls on the Express lanes of the 401 (eventually all urban highways); as a usage charge, and a fee at the time of purchase that penalized gas guzzlers and was low to zero for eco-friendly choices vs the current system.

I can't get too worked up about the licence fee but the way it was rolled out was stupid. The need to still renew was lost in the 'money back in the pockets of hard working Ontarians' hype and the website was essentially unchanged except the 'checkout' value was zero. Commercial plate renewals still cost; driver's licence renewals still cost.

Maybe if there was cost effective way (in government terms, which basically means 'there isn't'), to gear a fee to the amount driven, or maybe a chip in our brain to assess the reason for the trip and whether it is socially beneficial. Maybe transit, air and rail fares could vary depending on whether the trip was for business or pleasure, or be geared to income. The feds could do the same with passports.

Sorry, I have a hard time reconciling such populist tripe like foregoing about $1Bn in fee revenue, or handing out hundreds of millions to The Beer Store so they won't sue the government, yet at the same time we are entering another season of closed emergency departments, operating rooms, etc. Ontario set a new record of 868 ER closures last year and this year is likely to be no better. Imagine what a couple of billion could do to improve the system.

While I am not in the business of endorsing Ford government policies......... I have to say they have an initiative out today that is both good policy and good politics.

The automatic renewal of license plates. You not only don't have to go Service Ontario, you don't even have to file online. As long as you're fines/tolls are paid and insurance up to date, you're good.

From the above:

View attachment 575711
This is the only sensible solution. The messaging was so confused. "No more stickers! No more reminders! But keep your registration up to date!"

Ford has removed Carleton MPP Goldie Ghamari from caucus after meeting with a far-right activist.

Via Colin D'Mello on Twitter

1719582679498.png

With a lot of today's electorate, I suspect that if you polled a term-limit election and added the price tag, many would vote along satisfaction lines. If some were happy with the current government (or simply vote by party regardless) they would say those elections were unnecessary as well.

Back