News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I question the value of shutting down retail altogether. I think capacity limits would be fine. Many service establishments--personal services and dine-in restaurants, bars, clubs, all make sense to close.

Yes but the problem is having people come into contact with one another. If you have stores open with limited capacity you still have the risk of spreading the virus as if everything was still open.

You need to remember.. the point is to limit contact not keep the status quo

Yes but the problem is having people come into contact with one another. If you have stores open with limited capacity you still have the risk of spreading the virus as if everything was still open.

You need to remember.. the point is to limit contact not keep the status quo

The point is to reduce the rate of spread. It's not obvious to me that most retail stores with appropriate capacity limits and distancing practices represent a high infection risk. Remember, the risk is spending extended periods around infected people in enclosed spaces. Workplaces in general are more likely to be a risk than spending a few minutes around any given customer.

I am
BREAKING: Ontario’s response to #COVID19 slowed by a ‘cumbersome’ command structure that sidelines public health experts, auditor general says.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...blic-health-experts-auditor-general-says.html

Ford is giving his press conference right now and upset like I have not seen before.

Compared to places like BC, Alberta and even Quebec where things are being done properly and efficiently Ontario is a complete gong show. I hope for the sake of all Ontarians that other Premiers and the Prime Minister put pressure on Ford to get his shit together.

Compared to places like BC, Alberta and even Quebec where things are being done properly and efficiently Ontario is a complete gong show. I hope for the sake of all Ontarians that other Premiers and the Prime Minister put pressure on Ford to get his shit together.

I don't know, I would put Alberta and Quebec ahead in the gong show factor; and Alberta in particular has a government-driven crisis as well (don't know the situation in QC well enough).

AoD

The point is to reduce the rate of spread. It's not obvious to me that most retail stores with appropriate capacity limits and distancing practices represent a high infection risk. Remember, the risk is spending extended periods around infected people in enclosed spaces. Workplaces in general are more likely to be a risk than spending a few minutes around any given customer.

Yes and no - retail is probably at lower risk, but also have lower traceability. Work-based clusters would be a lot easier to identify.

AoD

I don't know, I would put Alberta and Quebec ahead in the gong show factor; and Alberta in particular has a government-driven crisis as well (don't know the situation in QC well enough).

AoD

Yes but at least Alberta and Quebec recognize there is a problem and taking meaningful action. Ontario is just holding press conferences stating that they are investing money to keep Ontarians safe.

Yes but at least Alberta and Quebec recognize there is a problem and taking meaningful action. Ontario is just holding press conferences stating that they are investing money to keep Ontarians safe.

If they were taking meaningful action they wouldn't be doing so much worse than we are now.

Not that it's any defense of the Ford government - it feels like they've lost a handle on all of this.

If they were taking meaningful action they wouldn't be doing so much worse than we are now.

Not that it's any defense of the Ford government - it feels like they've lost a handle on all of this.

I have lost faith in all levels of government when it comes to their handling of this pandemic.

I have lost faith in all levels of government when it comes to their handling of this pandemic.
I feel a bit of sympathy for Federal Government, as they have little control over provincial domains or the PHUs. It's a bit like a parent watching their kid make bad mistake after bad mistake at the spelling bee and being unable to intervene. But yeah, they should've stepped up much faster on relief programs, and the OCECRA was a dismal failure.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to let landlords decide if they want to get paid 75% of the rent or evict and find a new renter should be fired. Aside from the problems with politely asking a group known for sketchy actors to eat some of the costs, it gave landlords an instant look into their renter's business. It meant they suddenly knew that their lessee's business was suffering, and put them in a position of further power. In addition, those landlords who did a kindness and took the OCECRA aren't gonna suddenly wipe that info from their heads, now are they? You can be sure that there will be those who now hold resentment and suspicion towards their renters that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Last edited:
I feel a bit of sympathy for Federal Government, as they have little control over provincial domains or the PHUs. It's a bit like a parent watching their kid make bad mistake after bad mistake at the spelling bee and being unable to intervene. But yeah, they should've stepped up much faster on relief programs, and the OCECRA was a dismal failure.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to let landlords decide if they want to get paid 75% of the rent or evict and find a new renter should be fired. Aside from the problems with politely asking a group known for sketchy actors to eat some of the costs, it gave landlords an instant look into their renter's business. It meant they suddenly knew that their lessee's business was suffering, and put them in a position of further power. In addition, those landlords who did a kindness and took the OCECRA aren't gonna suddenly wipe that info from their heads, now are they? You can be sure that there will be those who now hold resentment and suspicion towards their renters that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Totally agree. The kind of hopelessly naive thinking behind the government approach to rent subsidy could only have come from a place of entitled privilege. That's how out of step it is with the selfishness of human nature. Whichever individual or committee that came up with it and approved it should be immediately relieved of their duty, and publicly named to boot so that future prospective employers are aware.

Back