News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

...but what's the diff between having Metro council and 6 city councils and having one city council and 6 (I know it's less) community councils.

Same diff, no?

Community councils have virtually no legislative power. With individual cities they can control their own fates, needs, etc much like the amalgamated City of Toronto does.

Metro dealt with cross border issues like emergency services, transit, etc while the cities dealt with their own boards of education, utilities, zoning and the like.

Community councils have virtually no legislative power. With individual cities they can control their own fates, needs, etc much like the amalgamated City of Toronto does.

Metro dealt with cross border issues like emergency services, transit, etc while the cities dealt with their own boards of education, utilities, zoning and the like.

What do community councils do?

The Boards of Education were wholly independent of the cities, as they are today.

That's rather dramatic. I think MPPS should be allowed to disagree (and voice opposition from their constituents).

I like that in the UK, government backbenchers have some leeway in criticizing their own party's policies.

On other issues - probably; but directly challenging the policy direction of the sitting premier during these times - and undermining the message? The optics alone wouldn't have allowed him to stick around.

AoD

On other issues - probably; but directly challenging the policy direction of the sitting premier during these times - and undermining the message? The optics alone wouldn't have allowed him to stick around.

AoD
I'm troubled by the chilling effects. We don't have to like what he says to defend his right to speak on behalf of his constituents. I feel turfing from caucus should be done for cases of misconduct. Merely disagreeing with government policy does not rise to that level.

I'm troubled by the chilling effects. We don't have to like what he says to defend his right to speak on behalf of his constituents.

I am sure he could have said it privately - this public call is clearly calculated to cause damage. In any event - no one stopped him from issuing that statement - he just have to live with the consequences of breaking with the premier.

AoD

Back