News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm troubled by the chilling effects. We don't have to like what he says to defend his right to speak on behalf of his constituents. I feel turfing from caucus should be done for cases of misconduct. Merely disagreeing with government policy does not rise to that level.

Thank you for pointing this out. I came here to do just this but I will live vicariously through your apparent wisdom on the topic.

Something not being widely talked about............the province appears to be saving serious $$$ on Ontario Works (Social Assistance) during the time of Covid.

Presumably, a byproduct of CERB.

1610975937526.png

Look at the fall off in cases from April 2020 to November 2020.

~76000

That isn't just a near-term low, its well below the previous low in the last 2.5 years (online records go back to April 2018).

There has been no material change in caseload for the more generous (though still inadequate) Ontario Disability Support Plan.

This would indicate that qualified applicants are not shunning ODSP; but also there appears to be no migration to this program from OW.

Something not being widely talked about............the province appears to be saving serious $$$ on Ontario Works (Social Assistance) during the time of Covid.

Presumably, a byproduct of CERB.

View attachment 294825

Look at the fall off in cases from April 2020 to November 2020.

~76000

That isn't just a near-term low, its well below the previous low in the last 2.5 years (online records go back to April 2018).

There has been no material change in caseload for the more generous (though still inadequate) Ontario Disability Support Plan.

This would indicate that qualified applicants are not shunning ODSP; but also there appears to be no migration to this program from OW.

Less people on welfare is a good thing, no?

Maybe they got jobs. I'm betting on CERB myself as well.

Don't worry, I'm on the dole as of next week so I'll pick the slack. Maybe I can apply for OW. Why not? My knee hurts.

Less people on welfare is a good thing, no?

Maybe they got jobs. I'm betting on CERB myself as well.

Don't worry, I'm on the dole as of next week so I'll pick the slack. Maybe I can apply for OW. Why not? My knee hurts.

From a point of view them to shifting to employment it would; but that seems improbable at scale; this is to a near-certainty an effect of CERB.

That means the effect is likely temporary, barring a massive reform to and enhancement of EI.

Which also means Ontario is likely booking over 1B in annualized savings as a result, currently.

But will also likely see expenses surge when Federal aid recedes.

Yeah, I do think it's due to CERB. It's not as if jobs are aplenty right now. One of my mates was layed off last spring and sat on his arse til he realised he was bored about a month ago at which time he started looking for a job.

LOL! Best of luck, bud! I laughed at him. Best part is, I offered him a job a year ago and he didn't want it because he's lazy and now he's asking if we're still hiring....meanwhile I'm going on pogey as well whilst his is about to run out and he can't find work anywhere.

Simcoe, Ont. mother fined $880 for dropping kids off with grandparents for babysitting

From link.

A Simcoe, Ont., woman said she's facing an $880 fine for violating the province's lockdown measures.

Natasha Kohl said police stopped her after she had dropped her kids off at their grandparents' house in order to do some grocery shopping.

Kohl believes the incident stemmed from a neighbour complaint.

"I had to stop working to stay home with my kids," Kohl said. "So, an $880 ticket is quite expensive when I'm not working."

The mother of four says she dropped three of her kids off at their grandparents' Delhi home last weekend because she didn't want to bring them to the store. Kohl said her fiancé wasn't available to care for the children.

"He wasn't able to help me and it was actually my birthday, so I wanted to get home so I could spend the night with him and my kids, so I took them to my father-in-law," Kohl said.

Kohl said her brother-in-law, his fiancée and their kids also live at the house.

"When I came back to get my kids, they were having lunch with their uncle and their cousins, so I was in the house with them as they were eating their pizza," Kohl said.

When they left, Kohl said she was pulled over by police.

"All the [police officer] said was they had a neighbour complain about a lot of traffic at the house and a possible party," Kohl said. "They had seen me leave, so they pulled me over to see if I lived at that address.”

Provincial police declined to comment to CTV News Kitchener, but in a news release said that two people were charged for failing to comply with the Reopening Ontario Act.

"They advised me they were going to my father-in-law's to speak to him about the complaint as well," Kohl said.

Kohl was fined before the stay-at-home order went into effect and the mother plans to fight the ticket.

Kohl said she had never even received a warning from police.

Doug Ford says there's no reason for Ontario to mandate paid sick days

From link.

Contrary to the advice of labour and public health experts all over the world, Ontario Premier Doug Ford says that compensating low-income, frontline workers for their wages in the case that they are forced to self-isolate on account of COVID-19 isn't necessary.

His rationale? The feds are already offering $500 a week to anyone in Canada who falls ill with the coronavirus — a whopping $450 per week after taxes, for a maximum of two weeks — and participation so far hasn't been great.

"If the system is not working, and that's what I'm hearing from the media... If people don't feel they are getting it quick enough, then we need to change the program," said Ford of the federal benefit during a press conference in Vaughan on Monday.

"And if they need to top it up a little more because $500 a week isn't feasible, then we change it" continued the premier addressing one criticism of the wage replacement program but failing to acknowledge that applicants must still wait at times for weeks to access the funds.

"Let's be very, very clear there's no reason for the province to jump in there when less than 27 per cent of the overall program hasn't been taken up."

Toronto's Chief Medical Officer of Health, Mayor John Tory, and entire Board of Health — who today passed a motion formally asking the province to ensure 10 paid sick days for all workers during infectious disease emergencies such as this one — would beg to differ.

If there is one thing that Doug Ford has shown he is willing to respect, its the vote of Toronto city hall... https://t.co/V7vOuYFF5P
— Sam Wollenberg (@samwollenberg) January 18, 2021

"As many businesses and employers as possible should be offering sick leave protection to workers who need to go get tested, and who then in turn if they test positive need time off work," said Tory during a pandemic briefing last week.

"But those who don't have that through their employment are reluctant to get tested today, and in many cases are going to work sick, and in some cases are being encouraged to go to work sick, and thereby are spreading the virus."

Tory reiterated his support for paid sick days this afternoon after Ford's press conference, telling reporters that "this is an urgent issue that is causing people to go to work sick" and that "it is not right."

The mayor is far from alone in his criticism of how both the federal and provincial governments have handled this issue so far, but Ford's comments on Monday afternoon struck many as particularly egregious.

"Actually, the Employment Standards Act is provincial legislation and 100 per cent your purview (as you should know, as you've deliberately eroded it since entering office)," wrote the Toronto Drop-in Network on Twitter this afternoon in response to Ford's controversial comments.

"You're not 'jumping in'; you're performing your elected duty by legislating paid sick days."

Doug Ford sees “no reason” for paid sick days?
Disagree. Here are some reasons:

🏠 Rent
🍞 Putting food on the table
🧾 Bills
😷 Not accidentally giving your coworkers, clients, customers or patients #COVID19. https://t.co/7hUnd8fF46

— Andrea Horwath (@AndreaHorwath) January 18, 2021

"'No reason' when ppl have been telling you, five billion of them, that paid sick leave is JUST what they need to be able to choose home (not work) especially with no workplace oversight," wrote another Ontarian responding to a news article about the premier's remarks.

Opposing politicians who've been crying foul for months over a lack of protection for frontline workers are once again calling Ford out for ignoring the advice of experts, arguing that his lack of action is endangering the lives of Ontario residents.

"Doug Ford sees 'no reason' for paid sick days? Disagree. Here are some reasons," tweeted NDP and official opposition leader Andrea Horwath. "Rent, putting food on the table, bills, not accidentally giving your coworkers, clients, customers or patients #COVID19."

"How many times do public health experts, doctors, and opposition politicians need to say it? Ontarians need #PaidSickLeave now," tweeted Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca similarly. "[Ford] needs to stop dithering and make it happen."

"In 2018, Doug Ford eliminated the requirement to provide paid sick days, leaving workers to choose between their health and putting food on the table," reads a website linked to in Del Duca's tweet. "In 2020, during a global pandemic, he's doubled-down on his anti-sick day policy."

Without paid sick leave, Ontario's essential workers are most at risk. Paid sick leave, saves lives. Add your name to this petition calling on @Fordnation to legislate paid sick leave now: https://t.co/EjfNTHvyQm
— Ms.Singh (@Miss_Singhh) January 16, 2021

A petition with nearly 20,000 signatures is currenty circulating in which Ford and Health Minister Christine Elliott to legislate paid sick days.

"Ontario's low-wage workers — the ones who fill assembly lines, process food, and package your online orders in warehouses — are at greater risk of catching this deadly virus due to a lack of support so they can stay home if they get sick," it reads.

"Without paid sick leave, many workers will show up for work even if they're feeling unwell — because they need to make ends meet. It's an impossible decision: go to work and risk spreading the virus, or stay home and struggle to put food on the table."

With private citizens, doctors, public health experts and politicians now all calling upon the province to mandate paid sick leave for all employees, the issue isn't going to disappear with the arrival of vaccines (which we could be waiting a while for anyway.)

Ford's PC government did announce some good news today for out-of-work horses, however, in the form of a $3 million "equine hardship" relief program.

Launched this week, the benefit will provide owners of "horse experience businesses" such as riding schools and horse camps $2,500 per animal (up to a maximum of $20,000 in financial support) to "help cover direct costs for feed, water, veterinary care and farrier services needed to maintain horses."

Ontario Supporting Horse Businesses Impacted by COVID-19

Investment will help keep animals safe and cover maintenance costs

From link.

The Government of Ontario is investing up to $3 million through the Equine Hardship Program to help horse experience businesses cover animal maintenance costs incurred from COVID-19 disruptions. During the pandemic many horse experience activities, such as riding schools, trail ride operations, and horse camps have been unable to operate, which has put these businesses and their horses in jeopardy.
"COVID-19 has disrupted many of the activities offered by horse experience operators making it challenging for some to care for their animals this winter," said Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. "Our investment of $3 million will allow these businesses to keep up with the costs of animal care so they can maintain their horses and be ready for when activities can start up again."
The Equine Hardship Program, launching on January 18, 2021, will provide individual businesses offering horse related experiences up to $2,500 per horse up to a maximum of $20,000 in financial support to help cover direct costs for feed, water, veterinary care and farrier services needed to maintain horses.
"Ontario Equestrian would like to thank Minister Hardeman, and the Ontario government for their dedication and support of the equine sector over the past months," said Tracey McCague-McElrea, Executive Director of Ontario Equestrian. "This funding announcement will certainly provide much needed relief to our business owners and equine farmers who have fought to maintain their herds since the beginning of the pandemic and we look forward to on-going collaboration with the government to ensure sustainability and growth for the sector."
Horse experience businesses will be eligible for funding if they earned at least 50 per cent of their revenue in 2019 from horse experience activities, their 2020 revenue was less than half of what was earned in 2019 due to the pandemic, and they attest they are facing hardship as a result of COVID-19 that will make it difficult to care for the horses.
The Equine Hardship Program was specifically designed for horse experience businesses that are not eligible for other agriculture related programs that help farmers manage risk such as the Risk Management Program and AgriStability.
The funding is in addition to the government initiatives launched this year to assist the agriculture sector in meeting challenges related to the COVID-19 outbreak, including:

Quick Facts​

• There are approximately 150 horse experience businesses in Ontario including more than 50 horse camp or trail ride operations, at least 15 carriage operators, at least 14 therapeutic riding centres and many riding schools. These businesses also include horse drawn carriage or sleigh rides.
  • Under the Equine Hardship Program, costs incurred between March 17, 2020 and February 28, 2021 will be eligible. Enrollment and claim forms will be accepted until March 12, 2021, or while program funding remains available, whichever comes first.
  • Eligible business owners may be provided up to $20,000 (total) to maintain horses used to provide these experiences. A cap of $2,500 per eligible animal will be applied.
  • To learn more and apply to the Equine Hardship Program, visit http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/about/equinehardship.htm

Pfizer to Doug - pay up or shut up.

AoD

Hold on, Pfizer's CEO would take a Firecracker up his Ying Yang if Dougie paid?

This might the first time I've considered contributing to a Dougie "Go Fund Me"

Its not that I feel the need to aid anyone's kinks here, but the results of that encounter could be explosive; my only condition would be the firecracker needs to be lit before Dougie does the deed.

Last edited:
I know it's fashionable to hate on politicians who don't jive with our worldviews and ideological bents (which is why I hate on pretty well all of them!) but give the man his due as much as it might hurt. I'm not the one who thinks this plague is all that serious either, don't forget.

There's a Pfizer facility right across the border in Michigan. Fact.
Canada have paid for millions of Pfizer vaccines. Fact.
Yanks come here to buy up insulin and other drugs all the time. Fact.
Reciprocity might show good character on the part of the new administration. Fact.

I know Biden and Harris are of unimpeachable character to some around here, but they're just people. They can mess up too.

Anyway, I don't care if we get vaccines here ASAP or not. I'm not concerned about this plague and think poor countries should get our allotment first.

I know, I know...."We're all in this together" is the same lie we tell ourselves as when we say "Never Again". I'll head back to my lala land of optimistic hope for a reasonable future now.

Carry on.

Regulatory Proposal:

Proposed implementation of provisions in the Planning Act that provide the Minister enhanced authority to address certain matters as part of a zoning order​

The Ministry wants MORE power. "The Ministry will meaningfully consider all feedback received and determine whether changes should be made to the provisions of section 47 of the Planning Act enacted by Bill 197, the COVID-19 Economic Recovery Act, 2020 and, assuming the provisions are maintained, at least in part, whether there are best practices that might be articulated to guide the implementation of this enhanced authority.
Some of us (or you) may want to comment."

See: https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-2811

Back