News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Steve, with all due respect, I wouldn't get too mired in the current anti-Russian hysteria that's sweeping the western world if I were you, nor would I attempt to tie it to Ford's (hopefully temporary) political upswing.
It's already tied, just not yet proven. Did you miss what happened in BC just weeks back?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...berships-after-investigation/article37847071/

It's not just AggregateIQ, it's pandemic by degree. And it's here and now.

And it's more than just Facebook. Facebook was just one of the bigger 'farms' to harvest profiles from.

Privacy watchdog to contact Facebook after reports of data leak

This has a long way to run yet, and none of it will bode well for Ford. (Edit: In all due respect to Ford, this is nothing exceptional nowadays. What is exceptional is that it must have been very well funded in Ford's case to get the degree of misproportion for such a loathed individual. We already know of two cases in this string alone where polls were pre-biased in outcome)

Update:
Facebook whistleblower pushed data-mining boundaries in Canada: source

ANDY BLATCHFORD
OTTAWA
THE CANADIAN PRESS
PUBLISHED MARCH 19, 2018 UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO
[...]
Wylie has said he played a pivotal role in those efforts and maintains his ideas made a key contribution to the creation of Cambridge Analytica, the company at the centre of the data-mining projects.

The outcry has sparked fresh debate about how far political parties should be allowed to go when profiling voters.

Years ago, when he was working in Ignatieff’s office, Wylie had already begun to develop strategies on how politicians could capitalize on data collected through social media, said a former senior Liberal insider who spoke on condition of anonymity.

At the time, the idea was viewed as too invasive and raised concerns with the Liberals, who declined to have anything to do with it, said the insider: Wylie’s recommended data-collection approach spooked party officials to the point that it became an significant factor behind their decision not to renew his contract in 2009.

“Let’s say he had boundary issues on data even back then,” said the source, who noted that Wylie’s recent descriptions of his methods in media reports sounded familiar.

“He effectively pitched an earlier version of exactly this to us back in 2009 and we said, ‘No.“’
[...]
On Monday, Wylie told NBC’s “Today” in an interview that Cambridge Analytica used data to create profiling algorithms that enabled the company to “explore mental vulnerabilities of people.” It enabled the firm to inject information into different forms of online content, so that people saw things that may not have been true, he said.

“This is a company that really took fake news to the next level,” Wylie said.
[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...-contact-facebook-after-reports-of-data-leak/

It's not just Cambridge Analytica, as stated prior, it's becoming the way to win for persons like Ford (he's far from unique). And the polling companies are under renewed scrutiny too. And in Canada, Leger is the largest. I leave it at that for now, more stories are imminent.

Last edited:
Just got an email from a friend:
I just got a robo-call from Doug Ford. "Hi, this is Doug Ford...." except that it wasn't. I listened to the whole thing and there's no way that was Doug's voice. Sheesh!

That doesn't mean he can't win. Thuggish ways, my friends, thuggish ways!

Even the Star's online own poll has Ford up huge. I have a feeling it's going to be strong majority for the PCs. Including the outer areas of Metropolitan Toronto.

Is that personal conjecture or are you aware of something more?
Projection. And let me take it further: It's closing in on *most* of the polling/marketing companies too, emphasis on *marketing*.

There's a massive disconnect right now with the polling support for Ford, and nothing could describe the gulf better than Ford himself in Cynthia's interview that @PinkLucy posted.

The almost entire thrust of Ford's marketing is a template of what got Trump elected.

So let's flip this over: How many Ontarians would vote for Donald Trump? I don't have a breakdown for Ontario, but for Canada:

September 27, 2017 1:40 pm
Donald Trump’s popularity in Canada stumbles to new low: poll
U.S. President Donald Trump isn’t too popular in Canada, according to a new poll by Forum Research.

The president’s approval rating among Canadians is at a new low, the poll of 1,350 people found. About 72 per cent of respondents said they disapprove of Trump’s actions — up seven percentage points from when a similar poll was conducted in March.
[...]
https://globalnews.ca/news/3771984/donald-trump-approval-rating-canada/

Hey, I just hope my projections on Ford's marketing is wrong...but there's a lot more to come on Wylie et al yet. And how his 'style' has percolated through Canadian agencies.

Another email from a friend up on the situation:
[Are you saying that conservatives would do anything to win... except designing policies that the majority of voters would actually want? Preposterous!

I'm actually surprised the Liberals turned down the guys (Wylie) offer. Then again, Ignatieff was not a winner in any sense.]

Here's another projection: A number of noted Cdn pollsters are going to 'come out' and admit they've been approached, or been involved with persons who've attempted to 'influence' their poll results. At a price, of course.

Give it time...

Addendum: Just catching up on the latest at the Globe, which has dived into this head-first. Just look at the staff names that are now appearing in the front page featured stories. And the number of them. They're digging, and they're getting dirt...

[...]
Mr. Wylie moved to Britain in 2010 at 20 to study law at the London School of Economics. While there, he put his talents to use with the Liberal Democrats.

Mr. Wylie devised a new way of using information to target potential supporters, but the party wasn’t interested. A party contact introduced him to SCL Elections, the company that would eventually court Mr. Wylie for his data expertise and spawn Cambridge Analytica, according to The Observer.

Soon, his work began earning recognition back home.

In 2012, Brian Gold, then a federal Liberal Party executive for Edmonton-Spruce Grove, wrote an internal paper for the party that called for work on microtargeting, citing research by “Chris Wylie, Strategic Telemetry, Canada, U.S. and the U.K. and Australia.”[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ie-the-whistle-blower-on-cambridge-analytica/

2012! Take note of that date, it will recur in later examinations of what's happened, at least in Canada. That's six years ago for those challenged by the maths.

Do any of you doubting the validity of my projections honestly think that a trend so hot would be ignored in the belly of the Cdn political and marketing beast?

Meantime, from same article, and I'm having some trouble with this claim to be honest:
Mr. Wylie left Cambridge Analytica before it joined the Trump campaign. Since then, according to The Observer, he’s been “lying low in Canada: guilty, brooding, indignant, confused.”
I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt as to altruism at this point in time. It took cold-hearted sociopathic endeavour to make this what it is. He's looking for a way out for his culpability.

And I'm sure he's not the only 'digital miner' to stake his claim, then cash out when the pay-off fades. Big Tech is in for a very rough time...

cleardot.gif

Last edited:
Even the Star's online own poll has Ford up huge. I have a feeling it's going to be strong majority for the PCs. Including the outer areas of Metropolitan Toronto.
We can have lots of fun discussing where things land on election day, but it will almost certainly *not* stay where it is today.

Instead of idiotic stupid conspiracy Steve, does it make more sense that people don't like the Ontario Libearals.

If Ford was able to stay competitive against the well liked John Tory, why is it hard to believe Ford would easily beat a very unpopular sitting premier .

Instead of idiotic stupid conspiracy Steve, does it make more sense that people don't like the Ontario Libearals.
Speaking of "idiotic"

If Ford was able to stay competitive against the well liked John Tory, why is it hard to believe Ford would easily beat a very unpopular sitting premier .
Doug Ford never ran against John Tory.

I think you might get a better idea of what this all means by reading:
Canada's Privacy Commissioner is launching an investigation into whether Facebook violated federal laws by allowing user data to be misused, the latest in the political crisis engulfing the social media giant as it struggles to respond to intensifying calls from global lawmakers to address privacy breaches and political interference.

Federal Privacy Commissioner Daniel Therrien confirmed his office was launching a formal probe into reports that a U.K. political data-analysis firm hired by the President Donald Trump's election campaign team improperly access data from 50 million Facebook users.

Mr. Therrien said his office was working to confirm with Facebook whether data from any users in Canada was affected. "The allegations we've seen in media reports raise extremely important privacy questions," he said in a statement. "The digital world, and social media in particular, have become entrenched in our daily lives and people want their rights to be respected."[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...facebook-cambridge-analytica/article38309030/

Amazing how "stupid" the three most powerful English speaking nations, and the EU are now having federal inquiries into not only Faceback and Cambridge Analytics, but the whole role of social media in manipulating elections.

Conspiracy alright...

Why can't people just do as they're told to...?

However the Mainstream media are the ones that have been giving the liberals extremely negative coverage though lol

Its not based on fake news on facebook...

CTV and Global have been going hard against the liberals past few years.

Toronto mayoral election 2014.

@Jasmine18 , the Cambridge Analytics scandal/situation/callitwhatyouwill is all over the news. It's not about fake news on Facebook but rather about data mining and the use of that mined data.

I agree that is an issue but I have a feeling liberals are already looking for excuses to say Ford cheated in June

Back