News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 10.47.43 PM.png

Now, we all know about the the Ford family's connections to Ron Taverner of 23rd Division in Toronto, but aren't there also dodgy stories of their dealings with York, the OPP . . . and for that matter, anyone now in a position of authority to whom Doug sold hash back in the 1980s?

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ons-about-controversies-within-his-party.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 10.47.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 10.47.43 PM.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 312
bad day, Doug? :)
DdlHhQEW4AABpsP.jpg

This pic made me do a double take -- I thought it was Rob
DdakkS8U0AENJC2.jpg

I know not everyone is fond of bringing up the "appearances" issue, but... Doug is huge. He was never svelte, but he was never this big. Must be stress-eating.

I know not everyone is fond of bringing up the "appearances" issue, but... Doug is huge. He was never svelte, but he was never this big. Must be stress-eating.

1) He probably had friendly competitions with Rob to see who could keep their weight down (the Cut the Waist Challenge was a public example)
2) All of the candidates pretty much live off of fast food during the campaign period. Considering he also had to run for PC leader, that's probably several straight months of fast food.

In last Federal election, most would agree that Trudeau was the best looking candidate based on appearance (hair, age, etc.) I say that shows favourably for Horwath, especially in the cities where that is the biggest deciding factor.

In last Federal election, most would agree that Trudeau was the best looking candidate based on appearance (hair, age, etc.) I say that shows favourably for Horwath, especially in the cities where that is the biggest deciding factor.

Really? Not the fact that the other candidate is has been on the job for years or otherwise unpopular; that their policies are unpalatable one way or another?

AoD

That physical attractiveness can be helpful to a candidate is a given.

The reality is that someone whose smile makes you light up just a bit will get the time of day before someone who doesn't give you that feeling..... All other things being equal.

But all things are rarely equal.

Rob Ford's successful mayoral campaign aside, one could look to Chris Christie in the US (former NJ governor) to see that people who may not be in ideal physical shape can trade off
the advantage above in favour of 'relatability'.

In the end, looks good/bad only help or hinder the door opening. They don't tend to 'seal the deal'.

Whether you vote policy (in which case that's the driver); or personality (which is more than looks, its who would I enjoy taking in a Jays game with or having a beer after work with etc.), looks are rarely the final or deciding factor.

There are exceptions; there are also cases of one thing contributing to another ( Trudeau's appearance wasn't merely good, it was youthful and energetic in a way his opponents were not).
He of the selfie generation, which many of us rightly cringe at in some ways, was also more exciting to young people for that very reason. 'He gets us'.

Doug won't win the beauty contest, but he may ( I hope not) win the election.

If he does it won't be because of his appearance.

But conversely, if he doesn't, I don't think its Ms. Horvath's appearance that will have proved decisive either.

1) He probably had friendly competitions with Rob to see who could keep their weight down (the Cut the Waist Challenge was a public example)
2) All of the candidates pretty much live off of fast food during the campaign period. Considering he also had to run for PC leader, that's probably several straight months of fast food.

The Cut the Waist challenge wasn't friendly, he knew Rob would fall off the wagon pretty quickly while he had more willpower. It was just one other way to make his brother look like a fool and make him look better.

The Cut the Waist challenge wasn't friendly, he knew Rob would fall off the wagon pretty quickly while he had more willpower. It was just one other way to make his brother look like a fool and make him look better.

Pretty much. He was belittling Rob quite a bit and asserting his big brother status over him quite a lot.

How a candidate looks is the biggest deciding factor in cities? Did I read that correctly? *jaw drops*

That physical attractiveness can be helpful to a candidate is a given.

The reality is that someone whose smile makes you light up just a bit will get the time of day before someone who doesn't give you that feeling..... All other things being equal.

But all things are rarely equal.

Rob Ford's successful mayoral campaign aside, one could look to Chris Christie in the US (former NJ governor) to see that people who may not be in ideal physical shape can trade off
the advantage above in favour of 'relatability'.

In the end, looks good/bad only help or hinder the door opening. They don't tend to 'seal the deal'.

Whether you vote policy (in which case that's the driver); or personality (which is more than looks, its who would I enjoy taking in a Jays game with or having a beer after work with etc.), looks are rarely the final or deciding factor.

There are exceptions; there are also cases of one thing contributing to another ( Trudeau's appearance wasn't merely good, it was youthful and energetic in a way his opponents were not).
He of the selfie generation, which many of us rightly cringe at in some ways, was also more exciting to young people for that very reason. 'He gets us'.

Doug won't win the beauty contest, but he may ( I hope not) win the election.

If he does it won't be because of his appearance.

But conversely, if he doesn't, I don't think its Ms. Horvath's appearance that will have proved decisive either.
I can’t beleive this is a discussion amongst intelligent human beings in 2018.

I can’t beleive this is a discussion amongst intelligent human beings in 2018.

I'm unsure of what you mean.

If your suggesting that it would be nice if appearance made no difference at all ever, I'll happily concur. It most certainly should not.

If you're suggesting that appearance makes no difference at all ever; I wish I could agree, but I don't think the evidence would support such a conclusion.

If you're suggesting that we not talk about it either way...............

Perhaps you might clarify.

It's a pretty cheap way of looking at it--especially since one might justifiably suggest that Wynne won by being "attractive" (in a "leaderlike" way) in 2014. Though I *could* suggest that the "looks factor" is working against Wynne this time--or should I say "appearance"; without glasses, she's gone from looking like Orville Redenbacher to looking like Scary Lucy.

Horwath's always been naturally stocky--there's a sort of Mutt & Jeff quality about a hypothetical Horwath-Wynne minority-coalition pairing. Though I can argue that this time especially, the stockiness works to her favour, by projecting an image of warm generosity vs Wynne's brittleness. And tilting in the *other* direction: as I've suggested before, it makes her better at projecting a disarming "Rob Ford" aw-shucks warm 'n' fuzziness than even Doug Ford. Andrea + Rob smile; Doug grimaces...

I'm unsure of what you mean.

If your suggesting that it would be nice if appearance made no difference at all ever, I'll happily concur. It most certainly should not.

If you're suggesting that appearance makes no difference at all ever; I wish I could agree, but I don't think the evidence would support such a conclusion.

If you're suggesting that we not talk about it either way...............

Perhaps you might clarify.
Appearance of candidates. Post #1535. Utterly disappointing.

Of course, but they probably had private ones that were a bit friendlier.

Back