News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Here a simple graph detailing the housing apocalypse that persisted under the NDP government:

http://www.torontocondobubble.com/2013/02/toronto-housing-bubble-in-1980s.html

Remember that when you hit the poles tomorrow please.

Apocalypse? There was a worldwide and very bad recession. It wasn't caused by the NDP (unless Ontario's economy is the lynchpin to the entirety of the western world), yet conservatives continue to pull out the tired, incorrect trope that they were at fault for this economic issue.

Get over it. Do some actual research—including what day the election is (Thursday) and how to spell "polls".

The fact is that in their one and only opportunity to govern Ontario the NDP nearly destroyed the province and chased away more business and jobs (including their former leader!) than anyone in Ontario's history. The NDP are an ideological threat to anyone hoping for economic prosperity and fiscal responsibility. They would single handedly destroy the Ontario economy and with it the real estate industry.

I know that anyone who still raises the spectre of Bob Rae isn't going to have their mind changed by what I'm going to say next (or someone who confuses "polls" with "poles" for that matter) but here goes:

The NDP came in just as a major recession was beginning. That recession, combined with the initial shocks to Ontario's economy due to the CUFTA free trade deal (without the economic shift that occurred since), was awful to the economy. Southwestern and Eastern Ontario were hit hard in the late 1980s and early 1990s by plant closures in places like Belleville, Brockville, Lindsay, Windsor, Chatham, London, and Brantford. Automation of other manufacturing processes (automotive and steel especially) changed things as well, and GM had reduced its footprint in Oshawa and St. Catharines. Most of the last of Toronto's old big manufacturing plants, like Massey-Ferguson and Inglis, closed around this time too. Waterloo isn't yet a major tech hub - and Kitchener also sees some plants close or downsize. The finances take a major hit and there's high unemployment. Any party would have had to deal with that and step back from some of the more ambitious promises.

And the business community is also hostile to the NDP, so they're going to use an NDP government as well as an excuse. The press is also generally Conservative or Liberal friendly, amplifying the blame game.

What the NDP didn't have going for them was business or media support, as well a caucus that was especially under-qualified. There were enough good people to have a competent core cabinet, the talent wasn't that deep beyond that. And then promises were broken, and there were Rae Days, and everyone - including the unions - piled on.

Last edited:
This campaign is deja vu all over again. Grabbing my phone before my eyes are even open in the morning to see what fresh antics have unfolded overnight from Doug's gang of lovable misfits. Spent four years doing that in 2010-2014.

People baying at the timing of this breaking story are probably not aware that there'll be two or three horrors every week to enjoy from a Doug Ford premiership - it'll be another rolling Ford circus.

I wonder how bad things are for Renata and the kids. I feel incredibly sad for the children.
If she's relying on the Fords for money, she's in big trouble. I doubt she completely gave up her habits, so yes, it's probably really bad for the kids. Their mom is now the enemy and won't be forgiven, so any relationship they did have with the rest of the family is over. What a mess.

Kevin Donovan on Metro Morning said the newsroom received a tip by phone on Friday saying that the case was filed in Superior Court, but didn't say when it had been filed. Reporters would have seen the documents on Monday morning.

So if reporters tried to reach Doug over the weekend even before seeing the details, no wonder Doug was acting like a skittish cat yesterday. No media allowed in the bakery!
I think it was Doug's quote that I am thinking of -- he has known about this and had the opportunity to pay out before the filing but didn't.

"Renata's lawyers have been clear to us throughout this campaign, that either we hand over money, or they would go public with these false claims, and that is exactly what they have done, with three days to go until the election," a statement issued by Doug Ford said.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-faces-multimillion-dollar-lawsuit-1.4691378

The actual suit was filed on Friday.

I thought I heard they were in court Monday, that's why Doug's schedule was suspiciously empty.

I guess Doug won't be donating his premier's salary. Sounds like they're in dire financial straits.

If she's relying on the Fords for money, she's in big trouble. I doubt she completely gave up her habits, so yes, it's probably really bad for the kids. Their mom is now the enemy and won't be forgiven, so any relationship they did have with the rest of the family is over. What a mess.

It's also fairly predictable.

I know that anyone who still raises the spectre of Bob Rae isn't going to have their mind changed by what I'm going to say next (or someone who confuses "polls" with "poles" for that matter) but here goes:

The NDP came in just as a major recession was beginning. That recession, combined with the initial shocks to Ontario's economy due to the CUFTA free trade deal (without the economic shift that occurred since), was awful to the economy. Southwestern and Eastern Ontario were hit hard in the late 1980s and early 1990s by plant closures in places like Belleville, Brockville, Lindsay, Windsor, Chatham, London, and Brantford. Automation of other manufacturing processes (automotive and steel especially) changed things as well, and GM had reduced its footprint in Oshawa and St. Catharines. Most of the last of Toronto's old big manufacturing plants, like Massey-Ferguson and Inglis, closed around this time too. Waterloo isn't yet a major tech hub - and Kitchener also sees some plants close or downsize. The finances take a major hit and there's high unemployment. Any party would have had to deal with that and step back from some of the more ambitious promises.

And the business community is also hostile to the NDP, so they're going to use an NDP government as well as an excuse. The press is also generally Conservative or Liberal friendly, amplifying the blame game.

What the NDP didn't have going for them was business or media support, as well a caucus that was especially under-qualified. There were enough good people to have a competent core cabinet, the talent wasn't that deep beyond that. And then promises were broken, and there were Rae Days, and everyone - including the unions - piled on.

Also, people must have forgotten about the exuberance of the Peterson mid/late 80s property market. What goes up must come down.

AoD

Yes, she must be relying on the money, she has not been employed for years as Rob wanted her to be a stay at home mother. Regardless of what her possible addictions are, the fact remains Doug is screwing her out of what is due to her. How she spends it is irrelevant. Although if she is awarded a substantial amount it may be wise to appoint a 3rd party trustee to protect the children's investment until such time they are ready to enjoy or spend it.

Worth noting that an extreme right wing site sees conspiracy and pulls the “conservatives are the underdog” card?

Isn’t that like, every conservative blogger these days?
Victim mentality.

Yes, she must be relying on the money, she has not been employed for years as Rob wanted her to be a stay at home mother. Regardless of what her possible addictions are, the fact remains Doug is screwing her out of what is due to her. How she spends it is irrelevant. Although if she is awarded a substantial amount it may be wise to appoint a 3rd party trustee to protect the children's investment until such time they are ready to enjoy or spend it.

Her immediate problem is paying her bills. If it's true that she's got the house up for sale, that money won't last long (unless she moves in with her mom). I just hope there's actually some money for her to get from the Fords. We all know that Doug is capable of lying, cheating and generally being a complete prick.

Voters will ultimately ignore this unfortunate personal family matter and vote primarily along party lines. We have a parliamentary system so you are voting for the party, not the leader. You may not like Doug but his powers are in check.
You are being disingenuous. The party makeup itself is directly influenced by the leader; executives, etc.

And again, "personal", sure, fine, if a businessman cannot keep his financial house in order then how can he do so for the province. Doughie does not like to share power and likes to micromanage so it does not breed confidence in the use of taxpayers money.

It was filed on Friday.
And strategic. You hurt someone rich by taking away their money, you hurt someone in politics by bringing up their "efficiency" to the government.;)

And again, "personal", sure, fine, if a businessman cannot keep his financial house in order then how can he do so for the province.

What makes you think he’s not a competent businessman? A $20 million lawsuit against him that alleges it?

I don’t recall that being a statement of fact anywhere. By all accounts he is a very competent businessman who grew the family business after his father’s death.

Rob Ford's old house is up for sale. Looks like privately, at the moment.

Renata Ford should be getting a portion of the CPP survivor benefit. There was a standard life insurance for being on Toronto City Council, but being such a cheapskate, doubt Rob went for the extra life insurance. Don't know if Renata is eligible for a survivor pension from Rob term on City Council?

Looks like financially, Renata is downsizing her home.

What makes you think he’s not a competent businessman? A $20 million lawsuit against him that alleges it?

Property, equipment and other holdings are most likely part of the 20 million dollar claim which has nothing to do with the state of the success of Deco. I am sure Renata and her legal team have done their homework. This has to have been in the works for a long time and Doug & Co must have been quite aware. The only ones left in the dark were the thugs at the PC party who wrangled the system to make him leader.

Back