News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I picked Welland randomly and found that the city has 6 councillors for a city of just over 52,000 people, or one councillor per 8,667 people. Woodstock has 6 for over 38,000 or one per 6,333 people. With 25 councillors in Toronto, each councillor would represent 116,000 residents. So unless you radically enhance connectivity with city services you can forget about local councillors having any meaningful interactions with citizens. This is a straight-up Mike Harris move to screw Toronto.

If Patrick Brown could be taken down in a palace coup, so can this petty vindictive little autocrat. I already wrote to my MPP (PC) and said I warned her at my door about Doughie and if he does this with no consultation of anyone, what will he do next?

Secret talks about sex between children and adults. What could go wrong?

Teachers can discuss issues not included in sex-ed curriculum in private, Elliott says today.

https://www.cp24.com/news/teachers-...-curriculum-in-private-elliott-says-1.4029749
TORONTO -- Ontario's deputy premier says teachers can discuss issues not included in the province's sex-education curriculum with students in private, but not in front of the classroom -- comments that have raised concerns for unions representing elementary and high school teachers.
The term "out of touch" particularly resonates...

You all should have gotten off Patrick Brown's back and let him become the become the premier.

I'm sorry, is this a joke? It was Brown's internal enemies within the PCs that engineered his downfall and ouster from the party, aided considerably by right wing media outlets like CTV News. Thug was either part of this little gang of sleazy palace coup schemers, or he was their willing stooge. We discussed this in some detail at the time on this forum, if you'll recall; it wasn't that long ago. And given that Brown was openly gloating about this gang of reactionary dingbats' electoral victory after they so spectacularly fucked him over, I'm not so sure that he's really deserving of our sympathy.

And they're swamping the Globe reader comments. I'm all for informed Conservative ideology. But that's not what the Fordites are. They're more of the Mussolini persuasion.

And their will and determination to swamp comment threads show that they have a *lot* of time on their hands. Time that might be better spent...working? Reading? Being "active"? (I sometimes think the only reading they ever do is the comment threads they participate in--anything else is held in suspicion for being too "pointy-headed" or "elite.")

Oh, and if I may speak as one of the many poll-by-poll geeks who regrets how this election went "megapoll" (that is, ridings which once might have had 150-200 polls now having 25-50), it's almost as if Premier DoFo's present municipal gesture is a writ-large version of the electoral-statistical dumbing-down we witnessed...

And their will and determination to swamp comment threads show that they have a *lot* of time on their hands. Time that might be better spent...working? Reading? Being "active"? (I sometimes think the only reading they ever do is the comment threads they participate in--anything else is held in suspicion for being too "pointy-headed" or "elite.")
Many are 'refugees' from the NatPost and TorSun when they slashed their reader commentathons. They're typified by not making cogent or informed arguments, just reactionary barbs, and almost always trying to change the channel, since they're at least bright enough to know they can't deal with the real topic.

Ah, but for the days of the likes of William F Buckley et al. They'd be absolutely horrified at the state of 'Conservatism' today. I may not agree with the ilk of Buckley, but respect his ability to articulate and reference his stated views. That's valuable, even if you don't agree.

Last edited:
I wonder if Ford will also 'pull a Harris' and shrink the size of the Ontario legislature? For the 1999 election Harris reduced the size of the legislature by 27 seats.

I wonder if Ford will also 'pull a Harris' and shrink the size of the Ontario legislature? For the 1999 election Harris reduced the size of the legislature by 27 seats.

Aren't the provincial and federal boundaries coincident now?

Dunno if they can cut more.

The Tinpotdicktator will be reducing council, has anyone calculated what the savings are per person, not including having to hire more staff to handle the council affairs and paperwork? I heard whispers of $1.75 per person. I think Doug is hoping 311 will handle the volume of calls and inquiries.

Aren't the provincial and federal boundaries coincident now?

Dunno if they can cut more.
I thought same, until reading the SCC missives, and realizing that to conform to the Ford Finagle, riding density would have to be increased for both Fed and Prov ridings to allow the SCC terms to be met.

I think ‘thinking’ didn’t come into the decision. Just feeling powerful and vindictive and entitled. And since ignorance rules the day, unbound by any niceties or precedent or knowledge of how things work.

Dick-tator. Wait...did I misspell that?

This is going to be rich. Check this out the.daily.don on Instagram. As it says...a daily cartoon until this thing ends in ‘cuffs or calamity. Any artists up for the.daily.doug?

I think ‘thinking’ didn’t come into the decision. Just feeling powerful and vindictive and entitled. And since ignorance rules the day, unbound by any niceties or precedent or knowledge of how things work.

Dick-tator. Wait...did I misspell that?

This is going to be rich. Check this out the.daily.don on Instagram. As it says...a daily cartoon until this thing ends in ‘cuffs or calamity. Any artists up for the.daily.doug?

Tinpotdick will suffice

Back