News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So.....

The Ford Government was out today w/their line by line review and associated report from EY on how to modernize government.

I've read it all.

Its a snooze.

The historical bits are technically accurate (increased spending during the Liberal years) but misleading in a variety of ways.

Be that as it may, the remainder of the report is focused on going digital, privatization, automation, consolidation and lean-six-sigma type ideas.

The guidance provided is of an exceedingly general nature (not specific to ministry or grant or programs) and is not terribly well thought out.

Whatever, we, the taxpayers of Ontario forked out for this, we over paid.

Its not that its completely useless, but its close. Fails to say anything original, creative or sufficiently specific as to be called actionable.

For anyone doubting my charitable assessment, you may peruse this, at your leisure.

https://files.ontario.ca/ey_report_2018_en.pdf

Last edited:
That was a victory for New Brunswickers, not any one party.

They get a minority government that has to work with other parties to make government work. The way it should be.

No minority rule bullshit.

I watched the election last night and was quite happy for them.

Also, the New Brunswick PCs aren't comparable to Doug Ford's autocratic cult of sycophants.

The PC's there have a strong "Red Tory" tradition.

So.....

The Ford Government was out today w/their line by line review and associated report from EY on how to modernize government.

I've read it all.

Its a snooze.

The historical bits are technically accurate (increased spending during the Liberal years) but misleading in a variety of ways.

Be that as it may, the remainder of the report is focused on going digital, privatization, automation, consolidation and lean-six-sigma type ideas.

The guidance provided is an exceeding general nature (not specific to ministry or grant or programs) and is not terribly well thought out.

Whatever, we, the taxpayers of Ontario forked out for this, we over paid.

Its not that its completely useless, but its close. Fails to say anything original, creative or sufficiently specific as to be called actionable.

For anyone doubting my charitable assessment, you may peruse this, at your leisure.

https://files.ontario.ca/ey_report_2018_en.pdf
You need to read between the lines. The PCs will cut their budget by hacking away at transfers to agencies and crown corps, but forbid them from firing anyone. This means a dramatic increase in user fees and prices by hospitals, provincial parks etc... and a reduction in capital expenditures by school boards and others with no revenue generating capabilities. Say goodbye to future LRT lines and enjoy your $50/day hospital parking!

You need to read between the lines. The PCs will cut their budget by hacking away at transfers to agencies and crown corps, but forbid them from firing anyone. This means a dramatic increase in user fees and prices by hospitals, provincial parks etc... and a reduction in capital expenditures by school boards and others with no revenue generating capabilities. Say goodbye to future LRT lines and enjoy your $50/day hospital parking!

So.....basically bad for the taxpayer as the taxpayer will have to pay more for everything?

Sort of the opposite of keeping more money in the taxpayers' pockets?

Interesting. I swear that's the exact opposite of what the government claimed to stand for. ;)

Y'all ready to have some fun?

Ford urged to sell Crown corporations like LCBO
"Ontario currently holds assets that could be monetized to generate a one-time cash payout by selling all or a portion of GBEs (government business enterprises) and/or owned real estate," the report says. It was conducted by the auditing firm EY Canada.
The three Crown corporations that the province classifies as "government businesses enterprises" are the LCBO, Ontario Power Generation and Ontario Lottery and Gaming.
"Taking decisive action is the only way forward to put Ontario on a sustainable fiscal footing," says the report. "Such opportunities should not result in involuntary job losses, and instead focus on efficiency and effectiveness improvements.
The review warns that selling off money-making Crown corporations would have a long-term impact on revenue.

"It is important to understand that the trade-off is foregoing future income," says the report. "Robust business cases firmly rooted in evidence are required before proceeding."
The report also urges the government to reconsider the universality of social programs.

"There are a number of benefit programs that are currently applied without any means testing, which could shift to a means-tested eligibility formula where ability to pay is the threshold," says the report.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-ontario-line-by-line-audit-1.4837471

Ontario ‘line-by-line’ spending audit finds operating expenses grew 55 per cent over 15 years
https://globalnews.ca/news/4483967/treasury-board-spending-audit/

Don't forget grants and transfers to municipalities. I foresee another round of shotgun marriages between municipalities across the province.

Ontario ‘line-by-line’ spending audit finds operating expenses grew 55 per cent over 15 years

Just to look at this one line......it comes from page 8 of the report that I linked above.

When considered in 'real' (or inflation adjusted terms) this equals a 3% spending increase per year, factoring in compounding.

That's already a relatively modest rate of spending growth............but wait.

That's not per capita, it omits population growth.

Pffft, what completely worthless BS.

What's better, as you get further on in the report is they do consider population growth, but then remove inflation...........

There's also a cute comparison of spending growth w/Quebec and BC, which they clearly mean to be unfavourable.

Yet, BC is reversing much of this, as is Quebec as they are coming out of periods of major austerity.

Wait times for health care are worse in both BC and Quebec.

Its all such a hack job!

Its not that the Liberals ought not to be critiqued for some of their spending choices, or for that matter for failing to raise tax such that the debt growth would have been arrested.

Fair game.

Its that that's not what this report does.

It misleads the public and not very diligent journos to think that Ontario spending in the aggregate is run-away.

Yet, look at this chart posted on Raise the Hammer.

chart_provincial_program_spending_per_capita_fy_2016_17.png

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Say goodbye to future LRT lines
This is the great 'unsaid'...yet I can't see how it's unavoidable by their set of values and reasoning.

And I think Metrolinx altogether is facing a massive 'pruning' or worse. That's what Yakabuski's 'fill the cracks' service increase was all about. It does very little in a practical sense. So it's there to buffer them when they start the chopping.

This morning's "Announcement of the Day" from the Ford Regime comes via Labour Minister Laurie Scott.

She announced that the unfunded liability @ WSIB has been eliminated and as a result, employer premiums will be reduced 30% in the new year.

https://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2018...-savings-to-help-employers-boost-economy.html

While this is genuinely good news, the liability was tackled between 2011-2018, meaning under the previous government.

The current government literally hasn't been in office long enough to have screwed this up yet. The only credit they can reasonably take is for the timing and scale of the premium rollback.

I'm happy to give them that, but overall, I find the credit taking a bit odd here, as arguably it makes the Liberals look good.

Strangest thing, watching the live stream of this, as Minister Scott gets the sentence out announcing the cuts, then she says to the reporters gathered 'you can applaud now if you want'. (no one did)

Uhhhhhh,......

Awkward.

Wonder if that makes the media clips.

Just perfect:

Jennifer Pagliaro
As first reported by @goldsbie, I have confirmed Alexander “Sandro” Lisi,
former mayor Rob Ford’s friend and sometimes driver whose charges were dismissed after *the* crack video was entered into evidence/released publicly, is running for TDSB trustee in Ward 1
It's good that he wants to do something positive. I know people who've done worse criminality wise and cleaned up their acts. But a position working with schools probably isn't the best fit for him. Some of his shady antics weren't even that long ago.

He's pledging to donate half his salary.

It's good that he wants to do something positive. I know people who've done worse criminality wise and cleaned up their acts. But a position working with schools probably isn't the best fit for him. Some of his shady antics weren't even that long ago.

He's pledging to donate half his salary.
Did you know him from your RoFo days?

Back