News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The one-call-away Premier. Not quite.

From link.

Doug Ford told us he wasn’t aware of how bad things were inside Ontario’s nursing homes. Now, it turns out families of residents at these homes had been warning Ford for several weeks. With this breaking news, I thought it would be worthwhile to unpack one of the biggest myths surrounding Ford.​
Our Premier loves to sell himself as a politician that’s “for the people.” His invitations to directly contact him were a huge part of his brand.​
For years, he’s handed out his phone number and told his constituents to call him when they face problems. At a time when our politicians seem more out-of-touch than ever, Ford’s “one-call-away” shtick helped him stand out.​
The idea seems lovely. The reality is not. Let’s look at some people who appealed to the Premier for help.
Last year, Ford cut legal aid funding by 30 percent. The downsizing of the program, which had helped low-income people find legal representation, left many Ontarians in trouble. In response to outrage over the cuts, Ford told Ontarians that anyone in need of legal aid could get help through his office. What happened next? Requests for help went unanswered. One lawyer contacted Ford’s office over 40 times on behalf of his clients. He got nothing back except a patronizing email.​
There are, however, some stories of Ontarians getting personal calls from the Premier. Daniel Enbright talked to Ford last April. He was concerned about his friend who was losing her job because of Ford’s cuts. According to Enbright’s account, the Premier dismissed the effect of his cuts and went on a rant about the media. Ford did, however, ask him to send over his friend’s resume.​
Here is the contradiction of our Premier. Ford’s government can do massively unpopular things – like block climate action and cut healthcare funding – and get away with it because Ford himself appeals to people individually.​
Being personally accessible, however, is not the same as being responsive to the public. He helps Ontarians piece-meal, which acts as a distraction while his policies destroy countless lives. It’s a hell of a trick.​
This feigned folksiness is something that Ford has weaponized during the COVID-19 crisis.​
The recent news about families who warned him about the Orchard Villa nursing home is another example. Cathy Parkes, whose father had lived in the long-term care facility, wrote Ford an email on April 13. She warned him about the disarray inside the home and pleaded for help. Ford didn’t respond.
On April 29, Parkes and other families sent another email to Ford. They warned again about staff shortages, food shortages, lack of care and unsafe health practices. Again, no response.
On May 5, the families called the Premier’s office every hour for three days. Still, Ford did not respond.
By then, Cathy Parkes’ father had passed. So too had countless others. It wasn’t until late May that the public found out about what these families knew.​
It was May 26th when the military released their dire report on five Ontario nursing homes, Orchard Villa being one of them. Ford addressed the province with crocodile tears in his eyes. “The public needs to know exactly what I found out yesterday,” he said.​
This is the ugly reality hidden behind Ford’s folksy image: A Premier who ignored these families’ warnings for weeks, then went on national television and took credit for bringing these atrocities to light.​
Doug wants you to think that he’s one call away and perhaps he is – if you’re a lobbyist. For the people, however, the Premier could not be farther away.
Think about it. Ford is consistently opposed to the things that matter most to Ontarians. We want climate action. What does he do? He spends public money on anti-carbon tax ads and a lawsuit to block climate action. He cancels renewable energy projects and gets rid of environmental regulations.​
We want a strong public healthcare system. What does he do? He cuts healthcare funding, slashes oversight of long-term care, and is now further privatizing home care.​
I could go on and say the same for every single issue that is at the top of most Ontarians’ minds, but you catch the drift.​
Much like Trump, Ford loves a public spectacle. The personal phone calls, the photo-ops, the individualized pleas – they’re all meant to galvanize the public. None of it is real, it’s all just smoke and mirrors to keep you distracted.​

Thats why I think Ford will tough to beat in the next election.

Ford has become personal popular again and when a politician becomes popular on a personal level then policy they can start to get away with a lot of things (trudeau is another)

Thats why I think Ford will tough to beat in the next election.

Ford has become personal popular again and when a politician becomes popular on a personal level then policy they can start to get away with a lot of things (trudeau is another)

Typo. Should be "policy they can start to get away with a lot of things (Scheer is another)".

"The Ontario Health Coalition is making a formal complaint today regarding the behaviour of three government MPPs in the public hearing into Bill 175 the Ford government’s new home and community care legislation. The Coalition reported that yesterday Ford government MPPs, Christina Maria Mitas, Robin Martin and Sam Oosterhoff on multiple occasions cut off participants who were trying to answer questions in what were supposed to be public hearings by demanding that they answer only “yes” or “no” and not be allowed to contextualize their response, explain, nor in fact, say anything else. The Coalition notes that this behaviour was directed at presenters who were critical of the government’s Bill 175. In the OHC’s decades of experience in public hearings of Standing Committees of the Ontario Legislative Assembly they report that they have never seen MPPs behave in such a way. In addition, the Coalition cited behaviour in which government MPPs cut off the answers in order to disallow participants, including the Ontario Health Coalition, from responding to categorically false statements, including false characterizations of what the presenters actually said, reported the Health Coalition."

Ford is bound and determined to reverse any approval people may have given him (erroneously in my opinion) during the pandemic.

He's set to propose rolling back Statutory Holidays for retail workers from 9 to 3.

Essential workers are heros! champions!; but perfectly suitable to be worked to death, for $14 per hour. :mad:

Ford is bound and determined to reverse any approval people may have given him (erroneously in my opinion) during the pandemic.

He's set to propose rolling back Statutory Holidays for retail workers from 9 to 3.

Essential workers are heros! champions!; but perfectly suitable to be worked to death, for $14 per hour. :mad:

Most retailers dont get holidays off mostly? But its more about pay?

Like the only days all stores close now are like X-Mas, new years and Easter Sunday.

Most retailers dont get holidays off mostly? But its more about pay?

Like the only days all stores close now are like X-Mas, new years and Easter Sunday.

Work on Stat. Holidays in retail is optional. An employer can't force you, (essential services excepted).

If you choose to work a Stat. Holiday, you get 2.5x your normal hourly rate.

So $14 per hour min. wage goes to $35 per hour.

For many on minimum wage that's an economic lifeline.

They can also work that day and take a normal day off in-lieu (unpaid).

Which still works out to overtime for the shift worked on the Stat. Holiday, net.

I don't think that's the case in most of Ontario. They made an exception for Toronto after passing the City of Toronto Act, such that the City could select the days itself, and it does have fewer days to close, though it applies mostly only the old City of Toronto, and it still does not impact the wage increase for the day. If you go to smaller cities like London or Hamilton, the stores there have to shut down on those days.

Last edited:
Designated tourist areas can remain open; that's why places like the Eaton Centre were open. Muskoka will be open, but Hamilton won't.

The Ford gov't now denying this idea was ever under serious consideration.

Makes me wonder if this was either a Trial Balloon or a distraction.

Either way, glad to see the idea spiked. But I would like to stop being grateful when government chooses not to make things worse; and to start being grateful when they actually make things better.

1592584245612.png

The Ford gov't now denying this idea was ever under serious consideration.

Makes me wonder if this was either a Trial Balloon or a distraction.

Either way, glad to see the idea spiked. But I would like to stop being grateful when government chooses not to make things worse; and to start being grateful when they actually make things better.

View attachment 252501

Yeah, just like the idea of allowing development of the Greenbelt, etc.

AoD

i am against development of greenbelt, but a govt is going to pretty much have to declare 'the days of middle class family expecting a semi detached in the suburbs is over in GTA"

i am against development of greenbelt, but a govt is going to pretty much have to declare 'the days of middle class family expecting a semi detached in the suburbs is over in GTA"

On developing the greenbelt: No affordable housing will be built on the greenbelt, builders will build what the market demands. Most greenbelts are outside cities with no or little public transport. Cities and Habitat for humanity and government build affordable housing, not the likes of Mattamy homes and Fords other big builder friends

On developing the greenbelt: No affordable housing will be built on the greenbelt, builders will build what the market demands. Most greenbelts are outside cities with no or little public transport. Cities and Habitat for humanity and government build affordable housing, not the likes of Mattamy homes and Fords other big builder friends
True but i mean the trends may reverse a bit where people no longer want to live in condos as much anymore but the truth is not everyone can get a house in the burbs .

Back