News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The next hospital to (signficantly) cut RN positions

Southlake Regional Health Centre lays off 97 Registered Nurses: More than 176,000 hours of RN direct patient care lost

Sept 22, 2020

NEWMARKET, ON, Sept. 22, 2020 /CNW/ - During a global pandemic when registered nurses (RNs) are needed to provide front-line care, Southlake Regional Health Centre will be laying off 97 registered nurses. This works out to be more than 176,000 hours of RN direct patient care lost to cuts.

"I cannot fathom how Southlake Regional Health Centre CEO Arden Krystal can justify cutting front-line registered nurses during a global pandemic," notes ONA President Vicki McKenna, RN. "With the second wave of COVID-19 and the upcoming influenza season, which will put undue pressure on all hospitals, cutting registered nurses is completely irresponsible."

The cuts are widespread and occurring at many busy acute care units in which patient acuity is very high. "These cuts will devastate the Newmarket community," adds McKenna. "I would like to know what the Deputy Premier and Minister of Health Christine Elliott thinks about these disastrous front-line RN cuts as they are happening right within her riding of Newmarket-Aurora."

Adds McKenna: "The hospital cites its budget as the reason for the cuts and, if this is so, then the government needs to immediately step in and do an audit and prevent these layoffs from happening. These cuts follow on the heels of recent announcements of RN cuts at Toronto Rehab and Lakeridge Health. This needs to stop and stop now."

I guess that must be part of Doug Ford's biggest, most comprehensive Fall COVID plan that will take days to explain and absorb for the lay person.

AoD

Pols must be getting complacent. All of a sudden lots of people contracting COVID from staffers.

My hunch is maybe their political staffers weren't following precautions to begin with (hygiene theatre vs. actual best practices).

AoD
With the deaths that've happened around Ford (family-wise) in the last couple of years, you think he'd have a tighter leash on his underlings.

With the deaths that've happened around Ford (family-wise) in the last couple of years, you think he'd have a tighter leash on his underlings.

Doubtful - and I don't think it's just a Ford thing. It would not surprise me if this turned out to be a generational thing (young staffers) who simply didn't take COVID seriously.

AoD

Doubtful - and I don't think it's just a Ford thing. It would not surprise me if this turned out to be a generational thing (young staffers) who simply didn't take COVID seriously.

AoD
On a related topic, I think a lot of millennial bashing has been going on, placing the blame on this rise on irresponsible <40s. I'm not so convinced that irresponsibility suddenly rules in this group, when for months it didn't. Those I know in this group haven't been anything but responsible the whole time (with a few exceptions who were irresponsible from day one).

I suspect the problem was that Phase 3 was just not strict or enforced enough, and our recent rise is almost entirely due to gyms and most especially dine-in at restaurants. If you follow the growth curve in reverse, exponentially (logarithmically?) it looks like it starts around August 1st.

The stats for restaurant patronage around most of the western world (pre-Covid), has millennials as a disproportionately large group. It's part of the experiential lifestyle for them, and something they almost entirely do with friends. After 5 months, they were told it was okay to resume going back to dining in at restaurants. And there they got to hang with friends for an hour or more, facing each other barely a few feet apart with no masks.

Those of that age are also the ones most likely to be working as staff in the food industry.

My experience in restaurants is that owners will cram as many seats as possible in front of house, almost always do the bare minimum (if anything) to follow the law. Few if any, have bothered with HEPA filters or plexiglass between patrons. Restaurants aren't generally that well ventilated (outside of the kitchen) and spacing tables 6 feet apart just isn't going to cut it if you've got a wonky airflow moving around the place. We've seen this happen in other countries in other restaurants, and why we thought it wouldn't happen here is beyond me.

So, while it's yet again a reason for older generations to believe they can bash Gen-Y, I think it's far more likely that they just did what the government told them it was safe again to do.

AOD

True they are of the generation that seems to be taking COVID less seriously, any of the staffers that I have seen in action around QP and politicians in general are of the 'had to Koolaid' mindset; everything else in life pales in service to their masters. The fact that they are at-will employees and know there are dozens lined up behind them doesn't help either.

On a related topic, I think a lot of millennial bashing has been going on, placing the blame on this rise on irresponsible <40s. I'm not so convinced that irresponsibility suddenly rules in this group, when for months it didn't. Those I know in this group haven't been anything but responsible the whole time (with a few exceptions who were irresponsible from day one).

I suspect the problem was that Phase 3 was just not strict or enforced enough, and our recent rise is almost entirely due to gyms and most especially dine-in at restaurants. If you follow the growth curve in reverse, exponentially (logarithmically?) it looks like it starts around August 1st.

The stats for restaurant patronage around most of the western world (pre-Covid), has millennials as a disproportionately large group. It's part of the experiential lifestyle for them, and something they almost entirely do with friends. After 5 months, they were told it was okay to resume going back to dining in at restaurants. And there they got to hang with friends for an hour or more, facing each other barely a few feet apart with no masks.

Those of that age are also the ones most likely to be working as staff in the food industry.

My experience in restaurants is that owners will cram as many seats as possible in front of house, almost always do the bare minimum (if anything) to follow the law. Few if any, have bothered with HEPA filters or plexiglass between patrons. Restaurants aren't generally that well ventilated (outside of the kitchen) and spacing tables 6 feet apart just isn't going to cut it if you've got a wonky airflow moving around the place. We've seen this happen in other countries in other restaurants, and why we thought it wouldn't happen here is beyond me.

So, while it's yet again a reason for older generations to believe they can bash Gen-Y, I think it's far more likely that they just did what the government told them it was safe again to do.

The few times I have ventured into a restaurant/bar in the past several months tells me I agree with you in both examples; that the layout/airflow and staffing makes both patrons and servers vulnerable. However, just because we may be allowed to socialize in groups doesn't mean we must. 'They' say that the younger generations (however one chooses to define that) are the most informed in history. Public health guidelines have loosened, but does this cohort not read the news and be informed by it? Social distancing, social bubbles, masks, etc. are still a thing. I find it interesting that these groups are eager to get back to experience life when they have a whole lot more of it in front of them than behind, compared to the 'old folk' who are the exact opposite. The older generation should be one group eager to get back to living because their clock is closer to midnight.
I am convinced there is a degree of invulnerability seeping through, along with a fair dose of peer pressure.

Unsure how old you guys are...

But as the resident "yutes" here you can blame younger people.

In August scrolling my instagram...people were having parties and large dinners and I felt sad and decided to be looser with the rules as I felt I was missing out.

Now with the 2nd wave I think I see people going back to being more cautious.

My kids are millenials. Their friends with young children have been super cautious, following the rules, no restaurants, no bars, etc. Their friends without children have been partying it up. Anecdotal obviously, but I wonder if that's a common trend, i.e., with kids/without kids.
Also younger people not living with elders is what i noticed.

They don't live with elders, but they have important elders in their lives whom they want to spend time with, so they are careful.

Many of them also work in the health field.

Back