News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

An NDP victory followed by eight years of city-destroying, municipal-disrupting Common Sense Revolution? No thanks.
Are you saying that another Ford term would be better? I really thought you would know better after the most recent ethical 'lapses' and refusal to actually accept responsibility.. BTW, I hardly think the NDP have a monopoly on 'municipal disruption' - do you remember the decision to reduce Council by 50%, at the start of an election campaign and with zero advance discussion? or the imposition of strong mayor power or ......

Are you saying that another Ford term would be better? I really thought you would know better after the most recent ethical 'lapses' and refusal to actually accept responsibility.. BTW, I hardly think the NDP have a monopoly on 'municipal disruption' - do you remember the decision to reduce Council by 50%, at the start of an election campaign and with zero advance discussion? or the imposition of strong mayor power or ......
Besides, while I mentioned 1990 provincially, I could just as well have offered 2015 federally, when it looked like the HarperCons were a shoe-in because the Libs were decimated in '11 and the NDP had that "can't trust in government" stigma carried over from such things as...1990 provincially.

Are you saying that another Ford term would be better? I hardly think the NDP have a monopoly on 'municipal disruption' -

No one claimed the NDP disrupted municipal issues. Sigh. Let me spell it out the chronology that I assumed was obvious.
An NDP victory followed by eight years of city-destroying, municipal-disrupting Common Sense Revolution? No thanks.
An NDP victory 1990-1995 is followed from 1995-2003 by the Conservative government of Mike Harris (with final days under Eves). It is the Cons that I suggest, through their Common Sense Revolution that gave us eight years of destroyed and disrupted cities. I have said nothing about the NDP above other than to suggest that a leftward swing might swing us back to a repeat of Harris/Ford attacks and defunding of cities.

Where could you possibly get from the above that I think another Ford term would be better? Myself, I’m voting for Crombie so that we might land in the middle. As long as Crombie does not have any Wynne/McGuinty MPs or cronies in her cabinet.

Last edited:
No one claimed the NDP disrupted municipal issues. Sigh. Let me spell it out the chronology that I assumed was obvious.

An NDP victory 1990-1995 is followed from 1995-2003 by the Conservative government of Mike Harris (with final days under Eves). It is the Cons that I suggest, through their Common Sense Revolution that gave us eight years of destroyed and disrupted cities. I have said nothing about the NDP above other than to suggest that a leftward swing might swing us back to a repeat of Harris/Ford attacks and defunding of cities.

Where could you possibly get from the above that I think another Ford term would be better? Myself, I’m voting for Crombie so that we might land in the middle. As long as Crombie does not have any Wynne/McGuinty MPs or cronies in her cabinet.
In that case, you might as well slam down the firewall on *any* left-leaning government out of fear that it'll tripwire an opposite reaction next time around. Which also goes for, municipally, David Miller as a foretaste of Rob Ford--and maybe Olivia Chow re whomever comes *after* her. Or Rachel Notley as a foretaste of Jason Kenney & Danielle Smith, or the Justin/Jagmeet deal as a foretaste of PM Poilievre. Or, of course, Obama as a foretaste of Trump (not that Obama was precisely "left-leaning"). Which is kind of like a perpendicular version of the old "a vote for the NDP is a vote for the Conservatives" canard.

I referred to 1990 less in terms of the NDP per se, than in terms of governments defeating themselves and where there's a will to turn to the next best viable alternative, there's a way. David Peterson called an early election knowing that the PCs were a near-broke basket case and the NDP "couldn't win". Well, the NDP won, in part due to the PCs being a near-broke basket case--though thanks to Mike Harris's clever campaigning, the PCs did well enough on a shoestring to increase their seat total and set a foundation for '95. The NDP won because voters were put off by the perceived sleaze of the Peterson Liberals, and because they noticed Bob Rae seemed to carry enough gravitas. Likewise, the perception-of-sleaze thing is what was critical in defeating Paul Martin on behalf of Stephen Harper in '06--and w/an overlay of dark extremism, what defeated Harper in his turn on behalf of Justin in '15.

The fact that it was the NDP that won in '90 is actually more incidental to the argument than it looks. And as per the '15 Justin counter-example, it could work either way next time, even if it'd involve the Libs polevaulting out of non-party-status to cinch the deal. But the OLP is actually, beneath the surface, in better shape than the PCs were going into the '90 election--and at least when it comes to seat numbers, so is the ONDP. And next to what we're learning about the PCs, whatever backroom-deal-and-crony sleaze the Peterson Libs were up to in '90 looks like kid stuff.

So just because *you* aren't hot on the NDP coming to power and feel the Libs are too far behind this time to matter, doesn't mean that that'll define the future electoral narrative--though one can safely say that if defeat awaits the PCs, it's all DoFo's boneheaded fault (by comparison, a Premier Patrick Brown scandal would probably be more Peterson-esque). And in the event that it's Stiles rather than Crombie who (at least momentarily) benefits--well, it's not like we ought to be constantly using Rae Days as a barometer for what could happen, just as the so-far placid Horgan/Eby tenure couldn't have been foretold by the BCNDP's pratfallish 1991-2001 reign in government.

(And just as governments defeat themselves, so do official oppositions who get leapfrogged in third-to-first-place cases--think of the OLP in '95, or the Mulcair NDP federally in '15.)

Last edited:
greenbelt-removals.jpg

From link.

Developers bought Hamilton Greenbelt property a month before Ontario revealed plans to open it up for housing

A prominent developer and key figure in the Ford government's controversial Greenbelt land swap purchased a Hamilton property a month before Ontario announced its plans to open the protected farmland up for residential development.

According to property records, the purchase closed on Oct. 6, 2022 — three weeks after an unnamed developer requested that the province remove the land and other parcels from the Greenbelt, as described in a recent auditor general's report.

Greater Toronto Area developer Silvio De Gasperis, head of Tacc Developments, along with Paradise Developments' Steven Weisz and Jack Eisenberger of Fieldgate Homes, purchased over 4.8 hectares at 411 Book Rd. W. for $2.8 million through their corporation, Book Shaver Developments Limited, CBC Hamilton found through corporate and property records.

With the Hamilton purchase, De Gasperis is set to benefit from four of the 15 sites removed from the Greenbelt, owning multiple properties in Pickering, Richmond Hill and Vaughan, as CBC Toronto has previously reported. Two of those sites are the largest of the 15. Eisenberger has also invested in the Richmond Hill and Vaughan developments, and has been buying up other properties on Book Road in recent years.

Both developers build detached homes and townhomes throughout the Toronto area.

When they purchased the 411 Book Rd. W. property in Hamilton, it was in the middle of over 728 hectares of protected Greenbelt land, known as the Book Road land, where rolling prime agricultural land is interlaced with wetlands and forests.
Less than a month later, on Nov. 3, the province informed property owners and developers that it was proposing to remove the Book Road land and 14 other sites from the Greenbelt, significantly increasing the land value. The province informed the public a day later.

Coun. Craig Cassar, who represents the area, said the developers' purchase of 411 Book Rd. W. points to the idea that the developers knew of the Ontario government's plans ahead of time.

"It is hard to conclude anything other than they were working with the provincial government in a very non-transparent way," Cassar said.

Sale date 'pure coincidence': developer's office​

Tacc Developments executive assistant Sandra Galassi said it is "pure coincidence" the closing date of Oct. 6 fell between the unnamed developer's request and when the lands were removed.

She said the property was listed for sale earlier that summer and a Tacc project manager presented the owner with an offer.

When asked if the company knew the Greenbelt land would become available for development, Galassi didn't respond directly.

"Tacc is a passive investor in many land deals across the GTA and beyond," she said.

Developers have bought up other pieces of the Book Road lands in recent years, despite them becoming part of the Greenbelt in 2016.

Leading up to the June 2022 provincial election, Eisenberger, De Gasperis and their family members donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Progressive Conservative Party and candidates, according to donor reports published with Elections Ontario.
Around that time, in May 2022, De Gasperis, along with Weisz, invested in another property on Book Road. That property was originally purchased by Eisenberger in 2017. Neither Eisenberger nor Weisz responded to CBC's requests for comment.

Eisenberger recently purchased two other properties on Book Road — one last February and another in April — after the province removed them from the Greenbelt.

While the Book Road land is the largest site of the recent Greenbelt lands to be developed in the Hamilton region, there are four other sites in the area that have also been removed in Mount Hope and Grimsby.
The province has faced tough questions and backlash since Housing Minister Steve Clark and Premier Doug Ford announced the sites would be removed from the Greenbelt.

CBC Toronto and other media outlets reported that for years, De Gasperis and his family have owned dozens of properties within Pickering's Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve. Those 1,740 hectares comprise the largest site removed from the Greenbelt. The Book Road land is the second largest site.

The De Gasperis family also owns land in Richmond Hill and Vaughan, which was also removed from the Greenbelt last year.

AG says land value could increase by $8B​

Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk investigated some aspects of the Greenbelt land swap and concluded in a damning report this month that developers influenced how the province selected the sites.

"The process was biased in favour of certain developers and landowners who had timely access to the housing minister's chief of staff," Lysyk told reporters.

As a result of this land being opened for housing, developers could see an $8-billion increase in its value, Lysyk found.

Clark's chief of staff, Ryan Amato, who resigned this week, led the initiative, says her report.
At an industry event in September 2022, he received packages from two unnamed prominent developers, the auditor general found. They requested that land be removed from the Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve, to be developed by Tacc, and in King Township to be developed by another company, which purchased the land the day after the industry event.

Shortly after, one of those two developers then requested that the Book Road Lands be removed from the Greenbelt, along with two other sites owned by Tacc and companies linked to the De Gasperis family, the auditor's report says.

A 'terrible land use,' councillor says​

Following the report's release, Ford told reporters he had only learned of the proposed Greenbelt changes the day before it went to cabinet for approval, while Clark said he learned of it the week before.

While Ford acknowledged the province could have had a better process in place to select the sites, he said opening up some of the Greenbelt land for development is necessary to meet its target of building 1.5 million homes by 2031 — an assertion others, including Hamilton city councillors and planning staff, have refuted.

The province has conditions that developers must meet — including building infrastructure and community amenities, supportive housing and long-term care homes — as part of their developments, Ford said. They also have to begin home construction by 2025.

If those conditions are not met, the land would be returned to the Greenbelt, he said.
Right now, the Office of Ontario's Provincial Land and Development Facilitator is reviewing the 15 sites, including those in Hamilton.

Hamilton city council has been adamantly opposed to the Greenbelt land swap, voting unanimously on Aug. 18 to demand the province abandon its plans.

Cassar said the Book Road lands are at "ground zero" in terms of services infrastructure and will likely take years to get ready for subdivisions.

Part of the site is also close to the Hamilton International Airport and the city has restricted housing in this area because of the noise. The auditor general found the province was not aware of this restriction when it removed it from the Greenbelt.

"It's terrible land use for that to be made into housing, which is most certainly going to be low-density housing," Cassar said of the Book Road land.

"That's not good for taxpayers, it's not good for the people who'd buy there and most of all, it's not going to help with affordable housing, which we most desperately need."

Of course not. I’m one voter. How could anyone think otherwise?
It's more that your conviction about the Ford Tories headed for another majority *feels* a bit skewed by your "one voter" perspective--particularly given the escalating scale of scandal here. That is, we're getting to the point where the only plausible alibi to be confident of his reelection w/a majority would be on "Edwin Edwards" grounds--and neither Stiles nor (presumptively) Crombie are David Duke-level toxic.

However, I'm *not* ruling out the likelihood that the *Tories* might be headed for another majority (that is, if they wipe their hands of Ford and go back to being reasonably, well, whatever they were poised to be under Patrick Brown).

Ontario Housing Minister Steve Clark resigns over Greenbelt report

From link.
Ontario Housing Minister Steve Clark has resigned from his cabinet role.

He announced the decision in a letter to Premier Doug Ford shared on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter.

The move comes days after a scathing report from the province’s integrity commissioner, who found Clark violated ethics rules for the way the government removed land earmarked for development from the protected Greenbelt.

Okay, Doug Ford. It's your turn.

Last edited:

Back