News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I don't know why this isn't standard. They have months to prepare orders and legislation, they should have something ready to go on the first day you would think.

Doesn't work that way - some Trump loyalists are still buried within the system as "career track" officials (oftenin positions that are reclassified by 45 for obstructive purposes) - you can't simply remove them by presidential fiat. Also the legislative process doesn't work the same way as it does here either - the House and Senate - while Democratically controlled - does not answer to the president (unlike our Westministerial system of government where the executive is by default aligned with the legislative (nevermind the Senate, which is vestigial and mostly there for aesthetics) simply by the way our Prime Minister is chosen). Serious legislative changes simply doesn't happen quickly in the US.

AoD

Last edited:
I also get the feeling that Biden won't run for re-election in 2024, so he's likely going to cram as much change as possible into his single term, especially while the house and senate are under Democrat control.

I also get the feeling that Biden won't run for re-election in 2024, so he's likely going to cram as much change as possible into his single term, especially while the house and senate are under Democrat control.

He won't get much past the Senate w/o nixing the Fillibuster.

If you leave that in place, you essentially need 60 votes to get anything done.

Assuming he's serious about some of the progressive policies in his platform; he's going to need to use ever legislative tool at his disposal, and have some of the most whipped votes the U.S. Senate has ever seen.

I mean 51-50 control doesn't not leave much wiggle room.

When you get past the symbolism............

I'll be looking for serious moves to get Health Care to more Americans. (from his platform)

Such as capping what American's pay for insurance to 8.5% of their income under the Obamacare Plans (down from over 9.5%) and reducing co-pays and deductibles under said plans.

I'll be looking for a vast increase in the minimum wage, to $15 USD over a few years.

I'll be looking for mandatory paid sick days and 12 weeks of paid maternity leave (currently there is no federal mandate at all for this in the U.S.)

But he'll be in tough to deliver.

I don't know why this isn't standard. They have months to prepare orders and legislation, they should have something ready to go on the first day you would think.

Legislation originates in Congress or at the state level. The scope of presidential executive order is generally limited to the authority and operations of the federal government (i.e. federal approval of Keystone), although it seems that can be as elastic as Congress lets it be. XOs are also subject to judicial review.

I'll be looking for a vast increase in the minimum wage, to $15 USD over a few years.

I'll be looking for mandatory paid sick days and 12 weeks of paid maternity leave (currently there is no federal mandate at all for this in the U.S.)

But he'll be in tough to deliver.

That's $19.0793 CAD. Over to you Doug...

In some ways this is good. Many presidents squander their first term, focusing on getting re-elected.

That's $19.0793 CAD. Over to you Doug...

Yeah riiiiight.

That's too high to move to from our current rate in anything less than two years.

Let's not forget that the bottom rising has inflationary implications on all salaries above the minimum rate. Minimum goes up 2$, I have to almost immediately raise my employees' salary by same as it must remain relatively competitive.

Anyway, still don't know why Uncle Doug's government froze increases. What a fool's choice that is. Any future increases will by necessity have to be that much higher.

eeeeeedioooots

Yeah riiiiight.

That's too high to move to from our current rate in anything less than two years.

Let's not forget that the bottom rising has inflationary implications on all salaries above the minimum rate. Minimum goes up 2$, I have to almost immediately raise my employees' salary by same as it must remain relatively competitive.

Anyway, still don't know why Uncle Doug's government froze increases. What a fool's choice that is. Any future increases will by necessity have to be that much higher.

eeeeeedioooots

The inflationary impact is a lot less than you think.

Its there........but because a large chunk of workers, who make vastly more, it doesn't really trigger knock-on wage increases for much of the work force.

Even if it did, the % increase in pay would be a lot less for higher wage workers.

Also, labour cost is a relatively small portion of most goods impacted by minimum wage.

For example, a typical casual/fast food resto will have labour costs ~20-25% of the cost of your food combo.

So if you raise minimum wage by, say, 30%; you're not causing the combo to rise 30%; the cost increase is 7.5% or up to 15% if there's a pass-through mark-up.

But the biggest chunk of most people's bills are housing. The impact of minimum wage on housing/rent price is negligible.

I'm not suggesting a $5 raise in one year, but you could easily do $1.50 each year for the next 4 years without serious consequence.

Keep in mind, our peer-Cities are NYC and SF among others, which already have $15USD minimum wages, roughly $19CAD++

And Seattle is over $16USD or up in the vicinity of $21 CAD.

Last edited:
The inflationary impact is a lot less than you think.
Maybe I don't think....you ever thought of that? ;)

For example, a typical casual/fast food resto will have labour costs ~20-25% of the cost of your food combo.

So if you raise minimum wage by, say, 30%; you're not causing the combo to rise 30%; the cost increase is 7.5% or up to 15% if there's a pass-through mark-up.

Yo, facts. It's not like in my business where wages account for ~60-70% of costs.

I'm not suggesting a $5 raise in one year, but you could easily do $1.50 each year for the next 4 years without serious consequence.
Yeah, of course....a reasonable increase is always warranted. I've always been for it. Just don't want to see single-year increases that will have outsized negative impacts. You higher wage is quite useless if you're subsequently laid off.

Keep in mind, our peer-Cities are NYC and SF among others, which already have $15USD minimum wages and $19CAD++

And Seattle is over $16USD or up in the vicinity of $21 CAD.
Didn't know any of this.

I'm sick of the US....they take up all the air in the room so I try to tune a lot of the noise and other news out of there out.

And here I am....in a US political thread. Like the self-hating bastard I am. hahahaha

In PPP terms, 15 USD is CAD$17.85. Frankly, the US is wealthier than we are in GDP/capita terms, and not by a little. I don't think we can assume that we should have the same min wage as the US on an exchange basis.

We can raise min wage, but we can't then also moan about self-checkouts at the grocery store, $3 double doubles at Tims etc. etc. You are sending a very clear message to business with higher min wage: reduce your reliance on cheap labour. In many ways that creates higher paying jobs automating basic unskilled work. It's essentially a large part of my job currently.

Not just Doug. We should have stronger national minimum wage laws in Canada, with a higher federal minimum wage. I would love to see something like $15 minimum across Canada by 2025.

With inflation, it'll be more than $15 CDN. Likely $20 CDN by 2025.

141201068_3802292019793166_6384209406287649969_o.jpg

From link.

Back