News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

They need to stay until the FBI has arrested all the hardcore partisans who participated. Like the oathkeepers who were planning on gassing the Congress in the tunnels.

Yep. I think Dems should play hardball. I liked Biden's press secretary when asked about doing some 'bipartisan' saying that many of the things Biden admin is doing are also wanted by republicans so they are bipartisan. They hopefully will avoid getting played like Obama into stalling out their agenda futilely hoping to get the GOP to support them. Just apply maximum pressure to vulnerable moderate GOP and Democratic senators to go along with popular legislation.

Fact-check: Is Biden 'destroying 11,000 jobs' by revoking Keystone pipeline?​

Of course impacting Canada a lot too

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...executive-order-cancel-fact-check/6673822002/

That article led me to look at other fact-checks that publication has done.

I saw one on the proposal to hike the Federal U.S. minimum wage to $15 USD and what the inflationary impact might be.

I like the piece and offer it here:

It compares the price of 2 Taco Bell products between 2 different U.S. jurisdictions where the minimum wage in one is $7.25USD per hour and $16.07USD in the other.
'
The price differences range from 7% to 64% (.70c)

The wage requirement difference is over 120%

That would suggest a number in line with my past projections here, than in most minimum-wage dependent lines of works, you can expect an inflationary impact at about 1/4 of the % increase in wages.

* this obviously varies by business type and location to some degree.

I consider this good evidence for a material minimum wage hike here in Ontario; something of which I have been a long time proponent.

You need look no further than Australia. A Big Mac combo there is 17 dollars because the minimum wage is 20 dollars AUD an hour.

Wendy's is a good example here. In the 1990s when the minimum wage was around $8 an hour you could buy dinner for a family of 3 for 20 dollars. Now when I go to Wendy's I am paying close to $50 for three people. The average cost of a combo is 13 dollars now making that $39.00 for three people plus taxes is about $45.

Richard, I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't make things up when you post.

It is not $17 for a Big Mac Combo in Australia, not even close.

These are the prices for an Australian Big Mac, in Aussie Dollars: By itself, Small Meal, Medium Meal, Large Meal. You know that information can be easily found by Googling. The Aussie dollar is worth just a hair less than CAD at this time.

Big Mac$6.40$10.25$10.95$11.65

That compares to Toronto at about $9.49CAD

So.........

The Aussie Minimum wage, which is about $19.60CAD per hour is: 38% higher than Toronto's $14.25

While the cost of its Big Mac Combo is 16% higher, when using the medium-sized combo to compare.

Suggesting a clear net benefit to low-wage workers.

Last edited:
Yeah, but do you know how much darts and meth cost in Australia?! It's insane! The poor minimum wagers trying to smoke their way out of their misery don't stand a chance.

I mean, I really do get that. Maybe I’m very cynical, but watch how a militarized capital becomes something that just gets accepted.

I think they avoided it for as long as they could given it's the "House of the People" - but this is the like the Congress equivalent of 9/11 - particularly as some of the details regarding the insurrection came to light.

AoD

At 'attack' at the scale that occurred could have been repelled by considerably less force than is currently on display.

Or get overwhelmed by a force that decide to show up at a greater scale than Jan. 6. An overwhelming show of force is a good deterrent - especially when there are insurrectionists out there that are planning for seconds.

AoD

Or get overwhelmed by a force that decide to show up at a greater scale than Jan. 6. An overwhelming show of force is a good deterrent - especially when there are insurrectionists out there that are planning for seconds.

AoD

I don't think there is any evidence of a 'serious' threat to the U.S. government from these sorts of things, at least not right now.

What we saw January 6 was amateur hour; yes, illegal, unacceptable, disruptive.........but not a material threat per se.

The organizers, thieves and persons committing assaults or vandalism should face the applicable charges (and indications are many/most will).

But I lie on the side of government being the representative body of the people; one which should be and be seen to be, accessible to them.

By all means, have an appropriate level of security, but no more than is necessary; with as low a profile as is practical.

As someone whose regularly spent some time in Queen's Park and in City Hall over the years; I find even the current level of security marginally intrusive.

I would find an openly militarized environment more than a bit problematic.

I don't think there is any evidence of a 'serious' threat to the U.S. government from these sorts of things, at least not right now.

What we saw January 6 was amateur hour; yes, illegal, unacceptable, disruptive.........but not a material threat per se.

The organizers, thieves and persons committing assaults or vandalism should face the applicable charges (and indications are many/most will).

But I lie on the side of government being the representative body of the people; one which should be and be seen to be, accessible to them.

By all means, have an appropriate level of security, but no more than is necessary; with as as low a profile as is practical.

As someone whose regularly spent some time in Queen's Park and in City Hall over the years; I find even the current level of security marginally intrusive.

I would find an openly militarized environment more than a bit problematic.

Uh huh:

The FBI said a Virginia man, Thomas Edward Caldwell, appeared to be a leader of the effort. Caldwell and a man and woman from Ohio were all charged with conspiracy and other federal counts, the first of more than 125 people arrested in connection with the Jan. 6 assault to be charged with conspiracy.
The chilling details in the case included communications between the defendants and others.
“All members are in the tunnels under the capital,” the FBI quoted a message sent to Caldwell during the Capitol attack. “Seal them in turn on gas.”

Jan. 6 was a very, very close call - things could have easily turned south if not for luck and quick thinking by select individuals - with incalculable damage to democracy to our neighbour. As much as I find an openly militarized environment problematical - now is not the time for high-minded idealism. I would refer you back to Trudeau's October Crisis interview.

AoD

Last edited:

Back