8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Dan416

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone know what this is about? If it's not really news feel free to merge with the appropriate thread.

Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure and Minister of Transportation, will join Bruce McCuaig, Metrolinx President and CEO, Karen Stintz, TTC Chair and Toronto City Councillor (Ward 16 -- Eglinton Lawrence) and Andy Byford, TTC CEO, to make an important announcement about public transit in Toronto.

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2012/...urce=ondemand&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=o

What could they possible be reannouncing? I'm praying that it's something to do with the DRL, but I'm 99.9% sure it's not. Probably just reminding us yet again that the Eglinton Crosstown is being built or something.

It's probably nothing too exciting, presto seems plausible. Or maybe something with the LRT lines.

This is more of an excuse to fantasize, but maybe in the run up to the coming Spring election the Liberals want to use government to campaign as much as possible and announce something bigger! There would be nearly no cost...

It's a lame duck admin now. Nothing actually major will happen until after the spring. Not much downside for the Liberals throwing as much at the wall as possible then dealing with what sticks if they come back into office.

I thought this announcement had something to do with Presto, turns out I was right.

The signing of the Presto agreement.

There's a good article and some questions and answers on the Star website:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/article/1294003--ttc-signs-up-for-presto-fare-card

"For example, the TTC’s transfer system is unique, and Presto has to be adapted to it, said McCuaig."

Oh, FFS ... TTC's transfer system is completely boneheaded, and surely it should simply be modernized, and Presto shouldn't be modified to do that. Am I really going to still have to pay one fare to take the bus to the bank right next to the subway station to get money to top up my Presto Card at the subway station, and the pay a second fare to enter the subway station next to the bank?

“We’re getting closer and closer to testing mobile devices as well. We’re trying to make sure that we’re going to put in the hands of all the customers all the solutions they need, so they can make the choice about how they want to pay for their system,” he said.

“We think, as we move more to mobile payments where you have a chip-enabled cellphone, smart phone of some kind, that may be a much more significant substitute for a Presto card,” he said.

Hallelujah!

Back