News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I would have been the guy in red looking at the guy in his jock strap...

guy_to_pride.jpg

Anymore pics of the guy in the jock strap?? ;)

^ I'm embarrased to say that my batteries died near the beginning of the parade that's why I didn't put up too many pix of the floats. Next year.

Our federal government in action:

Tourism Minister Diane Ablonczy has been stripped of responsibility for administering a major tourism funding program after she signed off on a grant for Toronto's gay pride week.

Conservative MP Brad Trost said Ms. Ablonczy was removed from the file because of her decision to fund Pride Week, which its organizers say, is to "celebrate the history, courage, diversity and future of Toronto's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, two-spirited" communities.

Mr. Trost was critical of Ms. Ablonczy for making that decision.

"The pro-life and the pro-family community should know and understand that the tourism funding money that went to the gay pride parade in Toronto was not government policy," Mr. Trost said in article published Tuesday at LifeSiteNews.com. "Canadian taxpayers, even non-social conservative ones, don't want their tax dollars to go to events that are polarizing, or events that are more political than touristic in nature."

Full article

Post Pride Observations

Our federal government in action:

Quote:
Tourism Minister Diane Ablonczy has been stripped of responsibility for administering a major tourism funding program after she signed off on a grant for Toronto's gay pride week.

Conservative MP Brad Trost said Ms. Ablonczy was removed from the file because of her decision to fund Pride Week, which its organizers say, is to "celebrate the history, courage, diversity and future of Toronto's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, two-spirited" communities.

Mr. Trost was critical of Ms. Ablonczy for making that decision.

"The pro-life and the pro-family community should know and understand that the tourism funding money that went to the gay pride parade in Toronto was not government policy," Mr. Trost said in article published Tuesday at LifeSiteNews.com. "Canadian taxpayers, even non-social conservative ones, don't want their tax dollars to go to events that are polarizing, or events that are more political than touristic

Full article

Big surprise.

As great as it is, I didn't take in the Pride parade, I haven't in years. Seen it-done it, I just don't have the interest or energy anymore. Last time was around 2002 or 2003 when I lugged a step ladder to Yonge & Wood Sts. and stood on it for 2 1/2 hrs. to actually see the floats and walking groups over the throngs of heads in front of me.

I liked the setup of the Village area this year, I think that it improves each year. I highly oppose charging admission to any of the outdoor event venues, I think that's a bad move. Most of all what I find that is missing from the main celebration area (Church Street) is a true sense of celebration. Walking up and down like zombies staring at people could be a lot more fun if it were made more festive. Whatever happened to those huge domed, helium filled, pride coloured balloons which welcomed the crowds at the north and south end of the street for many years? There was very little decoration or sense of place to make the street more celebratory this year, and to a great extent in past years. Save for the huge Pride flag that they drape in front of the 519 Community Centre each year and the change of lighting in the second floor windows of Steamworks, I saw little effort to make the street more festive.

How about a weekend rental of a search-light flatbed positioned at Church & Wellesley to create excitement and assure the sense of a true happening, bring the balloon arches back, contact a company to install stage lighting units on retail rooftops to liven up the street, string a few dozen cords from one side of the street to the other using the light standards as support and hang flags, pride coloured foil streamers that blow in the wind... there are plenty of things that could be done to enhance the environment where the bulk of the celebration takes place. And where were all the pride flags this year? I'm sure that I didn't see more than a dozen flying or hanging from businesses along Church Street (not including retail booths). That's really my only criticism, in fact not even criticism - ideas to make the party area more festive and memorable. Add the music and performance stages to a festive, decorated street and I have no doubt tourists, out-of-towners and locals alike will come away with an even more positive memory of the event. And an event it is.

All good ideas!

I totally agree that those balloon arches should be brought back. It's been at least three years since they've been gone now. They were replaced with Shoppers Drug Mart arches for a few years, but now even they are gone.

There were some other elements missing from this year's Pride too including the giant TV monitors at each end of The Village and the "Pride" logo lighting installations on Maple Leaf Gardens and a few other buildings in the nabe.

As an aside, Xtra's review of what worked and what didn't at Pride this year is here: http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Pride_in_review-7036.aspx

It was nice to sit on the patio at the Artful Dodger and chat to SimplyDan, Darkstar, BuildTO, FutureMayor, Chuck, ceaz40, the lovely and talented Dilla ... and friends. Sorry I got there a bit late this year.

Haven't been to the parade in aeons - when was it in Grange Park? '82? '83? '84?

Re: Brandon317 jockstrap post

It's weird. I typed "jockey strap" into Google and this dude's image came up. Even stranger, I KNOW the guy in the jockstrap. He has a really hot smile in real life. Unfortunately, he has a dedicated f-buddy/boyfriend (that's the firehair bear next to him) so evidently that makes him off limits!

Last edited:

Back