News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I like the idea of finding a non-controversial Dundas and just saying the street is dedicated to them. And then we can go back to forgetting the street was named after anyone.

That would resolve Dundas, but we still have every other street in the city to spend money on renaming or rededicating to.

Jarvis Street would probably be next after Dundas.

Jarvis Street would probably be next after Dundas.

Stick with real characters...
C2565222.jpg
From link.

See link.

I don't think it is necessary to rename the street. FYI Barrie was named for the pet dog of the wife of John Graves Simcoe, learned that in school.
[/QUOTE]
Nope. Barrie was named for RN Admiral Sir Robert Barrie for his role in the War of 1812.

You might be thinking of the names of the townships of Tiny, Tay and Flos (now part of Springwater), which were named after the dogs of Sir and Lady Maitland, Lt. Gov. of Upper Canada (1818-1828).

Nope. Barrie was named for RN Admiral Sir Robert Barrie for his role in the War of 1812.

You might be thinking of the names of the townships of Tiny, Tay and Flos (now part of Springwater), which were named after the dogs of Sir and Lady Maitland, Lt. Gov. of Upper Canada (1818-1828).
[/QUOTE]
That means I learned a falsehood in school? If I remember the lesson Barrie existed before the war of 1812, they drew volunteers from the village and surrounding area. The Spearin family were already there and their farmhouse stood on the outskirts until the 1970's.

That means I learned a falsehood in school? If I remember the lesson Barrie existed before the war of 1812, they drew volunteers from the village and surrounding area. The Spearin family were already there and their farmhouse stood on the outskirts until the 1970's.

Sounds like it:

Barrie's beginnings can be traced back to First Nations People using the western shores of Kempenfelt Bay as a place of rest before travelling the portage that ran between Lake Simcoe and the Nottawasaga River to Lake Huron. The War of 1812 resulted in increased use allowing for British troops and supplies to bypass the American forces at Detroit. At the war's end, settlers arrived and took up residence at the end of the portage, beginning the traces of Barrie's first community. The British military presence is reflected in many street names, and even in the name of the city itself, in honour of British Admiral Sir Robert Barrie.

AoD

Stick with real characters...
C2565222.jpg
From link.

See link.
St. Clair Avenue is named after Augustine Saint Clare, a character from Uncle Tom's Cabin. Therefore, there is precedence for naming major arterial roads in Toronto after fictional characters.

Given that precedence, we can have J.A.R.V.I.S. Street with Disney paying for the rights to the street's name.

If we're going to filter every historic eponymous street, municipality, creek, etc. through today's sensibilities, we're going to be very busy people. Tecumseh Ontario is named after Chief Tecumseh. Did the Shawnee keep slaves? Hmmmm.

If we're going to filter every historic eponymous street, municipality, creek, etc. through today's sensibilities, we're going to be very busy people. Tecumseh Ontario is named after Chief Tecumseh. Did the Shawnee keep slaves? Hmmmm.
Let's not forget that Chief Brant of the eponymous Brantford also owned a considerable number of black and native slaves as well.

Sounds like it:

AoD
That explains a lot. Now I know why my folks got so mad when we played the "Barrie is a bitch" game in the backseat of the car. Shame, that was one of the best schooldays ever, we went out in the woods, identified wild flowers and heard stories of what the founding of Canada was like. Oh well. I wonder if that sense I had as a kid in Thornhill that the world was covered with snakes was wrong too? The abandoned shack had snakes in it. The abandoned car we played LeMans 24 hours in had snakes in it. It's all residential space now, but the snakes were every where. FYI the condos at Royal Orchard & Yonge are built on an old graveyard. Ah memories. No seat belts no sunscreen and the stores closed on Sundays, how did we survive?

I still don't think the name should be changed, it's our history. The story should be that some powerful people wanted slavery to continue but they failed - 200 years ago! Think about that.

It would be interesting, though I doubt he would be cancelled for at least another twenty or thirty years.

Back