News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hear basically what you're saying - it's reasonable to be sketpical. Just don't let it get the best of you. In answer to some of your questions.

-Yes, I think these are the ones that are shovel ready. Lots of people on these boards advocate for a DRL but there is a reason there is no money for the DRL: The city didn't ask for it or plan for it.

-You could be right that York Region is getting a disproportionate share but it's the same thing. The reason is because they have taken initiative, getting everything ready so when the money is there they can go to the front of the line. The Yonge subway is a good example as they've gone form 0 to 100% in less than 2 years. When the province has the money they will get it even if in some objective way the DRL or some other project is "more important."

It's good business and smart politics. Is it the BEST for the region? Who knows.

-You heard about Vaughan because that's where the announcement took place.

-And, yes, you should be happy about Sheppard etc coming because it goes to what everyone is saying that this is just the start. Wait and see. Not everything is going to be announced at once - Mlinx broke things down into "do now," "do within 15 yrs" and "do within 25 yrs" categories" and within a few months more than half of that priority list will be moving forward. That's not bad, all things considered.

Update on Funding Announcements:

• Re: Metrolinx planning and roll in the process - all the announcement thus far have been in the 15 year plan - politicians still have to start somewhere and fund projects from Metrolinx priority list. That isn't going to change, but Metrolinx fully informed political decisions and that is what the roll of Metrolinx and for that matter virtually any planning agency is - "provide infromation and inform political decisions"
  • McGuinty isn't done yet, there are some additional announcements to be made in the next few days
  • These announcements may have a more 'regional' tone to them - which addresses some comments made previously in this thread

^^^

Canada-Ontario Transit Announcement - Media Advisory

TORONTO, April 2 /CNW Telbec/ - John Baird, Canada's Minister of
Transport and Infrastructure, along with the Honourable Jim Bradley, Ontario
Minister of Transportation and GO Transit Chair, Peter Smith will make an
important infrastructure announcement.
A brief media availability will follow the announcement.

<<
Date: Friday, April 3, 2009

Time: 12:00 p.m.

Location: GO Transit Willowbrook Maintenance Facility and Yard
125 Judson Street
Etobicoke, Ontario

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2009/02/c7082.html

^^^

Canada-Ontario Transit Announcement - Media Advisory

TORONTO, April 2 /CNW Telbec/ - John Baird, Canada's Minister of
Transport and Infrastructure, along with the Honourable Jim Bradley, Ontario
Minister of Transportation and GO Transit Chair, Peter Smith will make an
important infrastructure announcement.
A brief media availability will follow the announcement.

<<
Date: Friday, April 3, 2009

Time: 12:00 p.m.

Location: GO Transit Willowbrook Maintenance Facility and Yard
125 Judson Street
Etobicoke, Ontario

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2009/02/c7082.html

What could this be about... I hope it's not too lame... like, 'oh, together we ordered five more of these shiny new locomotives, so we can move 1500 extra people each run. Look, we Conservatives care about public transit!'

My real hope is the announcement for the electrification of the corridor. That would be wicked... but I know I am probably dreaming right now.

What could this be about... I hope it's not too lame... like, 'oh, together we ordered five more of these shiny new locomotives, so we can move 1500 extra people each run. Look, we Conservatives care about public transit!'

My real hope is the announcement for the electrification of the corridor. That would be wicked... but I know I am probably dreaming right now.

The announcement will be significant.

I'll be surprised if it's significant, considering neither the premier, nor the PM will be there. And we all know Harper likes to get those photo ops.

He did miss the G-20 one to go to the bathroom, so, not neccessarily =P

I found it interesting how there was no Federal presence at the announcement yesterday (read: no federal funding) but there is for this one, due to the more 905-oriented nature and the fact that it's contested ground electorally?

AoD

I found it interesting how there was no Federal presence at the announcement yesterday (read: no federal funding) but there is for this one, due to the more 905-oriented nature and the fact that it's contested ground electorally?

AoD

Not too different from a subway extension into Vaughan being prioritized over finishing the Sheppard subway (or as it looks to be...setting in motion a plan to ensure it never gets finished). All politicians have their agendas. The first guy to say that he'll give money only to Metrolinx to spend as it sees fit gets my vote.

^I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Torontonians want federal dollars for anything they are going to have to stop being so faithful to the Liberals. If the Conservatives won even just one seat in Toronto, I'd be willing to bet we'd be getting billions from the feds. As long as Toronto is full of Liberal safe seats, no party has any incentive to try and bribe us for votes.

I am willing to bet that the feds will pay their share for GO electrification just like they did for Union station's refurbishment. Those 905 commuters are a much more strategic and wily bunch when it comes to voting. That's why they get the cash.

The electoral system is part of the problem. The Conservatives are fairly strong in a bunch of ridings and would get some seats under some kind of proportional system. The Conservatives are more popular than the NDP in the City of Toronto (6% more of the popular vote). About 26% of Toronto voters chose the Conservatives in 2008, but they got 0% of the 22 seats.

Of course another problem is that the City of Toronto gets 22 seats for 2.5 million people, while Atlantic Canada gets 32 seats for 2.3 million people

Last edited:
The problem with proportional voting system is that the NDP would get more seats...

That is something we must avoid... :cool:

Last edited:
^^^
Same thing in Alberta. 40% of that province votes Liberal or NDP, yet they get 0% of the seats.

Agreed. Proportional representation is the way to go.
First past the post has led to regional fragmentation and diviseness, and threatens to tear this country apart.

Back to the Metrolinx discussion - I've read all the news and I'm curious about the Don Mills LRT to Pape station.
That project seems stalled, and I'm wondering if it is considered dead in the water.
Has anyone heard an upate regarding this?

Don Mills is part of the second round, as is Jane and Scarborough-'Malvern'. Lots of issues with Don Mills left to figure out, especially the southern terminus. Many have argued (even a prominent leather-wearing transit advocate/critic) that it might just make sense to send the DRL up to Don Mills/Eglinton anyway instead for the south part.

Back